Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD on Start up after windows 8.1/geforce 660 installation

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 EntropyXII

EntropyXII

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:39 AM

Hi everyone -

I recently went for an upgrade to my graphics card and PSU.

After installing my new Geforce GTX 660 I began to have issues on start up. Not when I restarted the PC> Just when it fully shut down. BSOD DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

I had updated months prior to Windows 8.1 and had no virus software installed. I had all my drivers fully updated at this point, including downloading the latest nvidia drivers for my card & installing it.

After coming across a number of issues I was eventually forced to do a clean install of windows 8 to see if it solved the problem.

Alas, everything worked fine. I installed all the latest drivers for my chipset, LAN, soundcard etc, then I disabled my intergrated graphics from within the Bios (I had heard this causes some issues when installing a stand alone card) and then reinstalled the Geforce hardware before reinstalling the latest nividia drivers. Everything worked fine. Great even. Windows booted very quickly and I had no issues with BSOD. I rebooted my pc several times just to check if it was working. It worked perfectly.

it wasn't to last - after I started the painful process of re-downloading all my games from steam I then decided to download Windows 8.1 (I downloaded and installed all windows 70+ updates prior to this) - And well it seemed to work. However I didn't really reboot it at this point - It restarted on it's own (As I said earlier, it never brought up BSOD on restart, only on boot). 

Well, this morning it did start again on BSOD - and had left off where it was before all this hassle. I am back to square one. ¬.¬

I would appreciate any help at all guys because I am truly confused. Is it a direct driver conflict between my Geforce 660 GTX and widnows 8.1? I am really not keen to do a full clean install of windows 8 again without knowing what this issue is.

Speccy Snapshot: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/wZZZxCdpjajK7QJ3kiuDob8

Attached File  DMP files.zip   76.33KB   5 downloads  I Have attached my DMP files and the Results text from MiniToolBox to this post.

Please, I'd appreciate any help at all. It's driving me insane.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:45 AM

It is likely an issue with the driver and windows 8.1 as it is fine in windows 8. You can boot to safe mode in windows 8 sometimes by holding the left shift key and tapping F8. I think you must hold the shift key and then power on. Or follow these instructions: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/enable-the-f8-key-in-windows-8/

In safe mode, uninstall the nvidia driver. reboot, windows may install a driver automatically. Then I would recommend going to nvidia's website and downloading the driver specifically for 8.1.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 EntropyXII

EntropyXII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:49 AM

It is likely an issue with the driver and windows 8.1 as it is fine in windows 8. You can boot to safe mode in windows 8 sometimes by holding the left shift key and tapping F8. I think you must hold the shift key and then power on. Or follow these instructions: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/enable-the-f8-key-in-windows-8/

In safe mode, uninstall the nvidia driver. reboot, windows may install a driver automatically. Then I would recommend going to nvidia's website and downloading the driver specifically for 8.1.

Hi @zingo156 - All my my drivers are up to date. The driver I have installed for nvidia and came directly from their website (I don't use the driver CD because they are all out of date). The specific driver I have installed and used is: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/71704 

It says it is Windows 8.1 compatible so I am not entirely sure what's going on.

#4 EntropyXII

EntropyXII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:01 AM

Oops - for some reason the Nvidia web link isn't working.

Here's is the driver I installed:

GeForce 332.21 Driver

Version 332.21 - WHQL Release Date Tue Jan 07, 2014 Operating System Windows 7 64-bit
Windows 8.1 64-bit
Windows 8 64-bit
Windows Vista 64-bit Language English (US) File Size 207.63 MB

Edited by EntropyXII, 03 February 2014 - 11:01 AM.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:01 AM

Did it have the option to do a "clean install"? Make sure you do the "clean install" if it is still causing an issue, I would uninstall the nvidia driver, then in windows device manager, right click on the display adapter and select update, select automatically update. Windows may have a driver that is compatible that will work.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 EntropyXII

EntropyXII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:07 AM

Did it have the option to do a "clean install"? Make sure you do the "clean install" if it is still causing an issue, I would uninstall the nvidia driver, then in windows device manager, right click on the display adapter and select update, select automatically update. Windows may have a driver that is compatible that will work.

Well, no, not a clean install option from what I remember. Would that even work? I had no prior Nvidia drivers on this computer before the graphics card, and the only other time I had installed it I had done a complete clean installation of Windows so there shouldn't have been any remaining driver files.

Is it worth mentioning that my computer 'seems' to work fine after the second attempt of booting? I am on it right now and all appears well. It only does BSOD once on start up - it then restarts itself and everything works fine. Do the .DMP files and results give any information?

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:12 AM

Well, no, not a clean install option from what I remember. Would that even work? I had no prior Nvidia drivers on this computer before the graphics card, and the only other time I had installed it I had done a complete clean installation of Windows so there shouldn't have been any remaining driver files.

Is it worth mentioning that my computer 'seems' to work fine after the second attempt of booting? I am on it right now and all appears well. It only does BSOD once on start up - it then restarts itself and everything works fine. Do the .DMP files and results give any information?

So it only blue screens 1 time after installing the driver and then rebooting, then boots normally? Seems strange... I looked at your log and did see that CCC catalyst control center may still be installed. This is an amd program related to the amd graphics card, I would uninstall CCC, it could be causing the crash. You should be able to find it in programs and features from control panel.

Edited by zingo156, 03 February 2014 - 11:14 AM.

#8 EntropyXII

EntropyXII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:17 AM

So it only blue screens 1 time after installing the driver and then rebooting, then never again? I looked at your log and did see that CCC catalyst control center may still be installed. This is an amd program related to the amd graphics card, I would uninstall CCC, it could be causing the crash. You should be able to find it in programs and features from control panel.

Oh no, it BSOD's after every reboot, but then it seems to fix itself and starts up as per normal. It happens whenever I fully power down my computer and power it back up. It BSOD's once, reboots and then works as if normal.

CCC and nvidia were installed at the same prior to my windows 8.1 install, and everything seemed to be working fine - but I'll try your suggestion. I thought I should keep it installed because it's intergrated.

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:21 AM

CCC is not required to use the device, it is just software to control the device. I am not certain if you tried updating the amd driver, even though you do not use it, this might be a good idea as it is possible there is a conflict in windows 8.1 that does not occur in windows 8 and a new version might fix this. Usually installing the newest amd driver installs CCC, so you will likely need to uninstall that after.

Edited by zingo156, 03 February 2014 - 11:21 AM.

#10 EntropyXII

EntropyXII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:25 AM

CCC is not required to use the device, it is just software to control the device. I am not certain if you tried updating the amd driver, even though you do not use it, this might be a good idea as it is possible there is a conflict in windows 8.1 that does not occur in windows 8 and a new version might fix this. Usually installing the newest amd driver installs CCC, so you will likely need to uninstall that after.

Uninstalled as suggested, and turned my PC off and on, and the same BSOD comes up. I had updated all of my AMD Drivers prior to the installation of Windows 8.1. I just had a quick check again to see if there was any newer drivers out, and AMD Driver updater says: "We were unable to find your product or OS." It was doing this before I did a full clean installation of windows 8 for the first time as per my description in the original post ^

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+7+-+64

The link above shows the drivers I installed and used.

I also fully updated all of the drivers for my MSI Motherboard prior to 8.1. As I said, I am 100% sure I updated every driver to it's newest version prior to my windows 8.1 installation. 

Edited by EntropyXII, 03 February 2014 - 11:29 AM.

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:48 AM

Download and install

WhoCrashed 5.00
Comprehensible crash dump analysis tool
for Windows 8.1/8/7/Vista/XP/2012/2008/2003 (x86 and x64)

Click the analyze button on the top left corner and copy/paste the results here. This might give us a better idea of what is causing the BSOD.

Edited by zingo156, 03 February 2014 - 11:48 AM.

#12 EntropyXII

EntropyXII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:52 AM

Done:

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Mon 03/02/2014 16:20:34 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\020314-28171-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14DCA0)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x0, 0x2, 0x8, 0x0)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 03/02/2014 16:20:34 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 03/02/2014 14:10:51 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\020314-20875-01.dmp

On Mon 03/02/2014 13:29:00 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\020314-20250-01.dmp

On Mon 03/02/2014 13:06:32 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\020314-19906-01.dmp

Conclusion

5 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. No offending third party drivers have been found. Consider using WhoCrashed Professional which offers more detailed analysis using symbol resolution. Also configuring your system to produce a full memory dump may help you.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

#13 EntropyXII

EntropyXII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:00 PM

Download and install

WhoCrashed 5.00
Comprehensible crash dump analysis tool
for Windows 8.1/8/7/Vista/XP/2012/2008/2003 (x86 and x64)

Click the analyze button on the top left corner and copy/paste the results here. This might give us a better idea of what is causing the BSOD.

Posted above ^

#14 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:13 PM

I suggest in device manager, click display adapters to expand, right click on the nvidia video card, click update, select automatically update, do the same for the amd video driver. If it does not find any updates then windows does not have a more up to date driver.

I do suspect a software driver issue related to windows 8.1 because it did not happen in windows 8. The results above do not indicate any part of any specific driver as far as I can see. Unfortunately I can not be of much further help :( Hopefully someone else here has some ideas... Nvidia's forums may have some suggestions as well. For now, I will look through your speccy file and check for known compatibility issues...

Edited by zingo156, 03 February 2014 - 12:13 PM.

#15 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:16 PM

One more quick thing you can try, in device manager, under display adapters, right click on the amd device and disable this. Then restart.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users