Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer is suddenly slow and sometimes won't power on

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 pr815

pr815

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:39 AM

My computer has suddenly become very slow when opening files or trying to run games. In fact, games don't load at all.  The last time I tried to run a game, it completely froze on startup and I couldn't even close it with task manager. Then the whole computer froze and I had to cut the power to turn it off. When I tried to turn the computer back on, it wouldn't even power up. Then I left and came back a while later and it did power on, but everything was still slow, including the startup sequence itself. I used Vista's "Windows Experience Score" tool and found I got 5.9 for everything, which is supposed to be good, so I'm not sure what could be causing this. 

My best guess is that it might be a problem with the power supply, considering that part of the problem is that sometimes the computer won't even turn on but then it will, almost as if it had gotten overheated or something and needed time to cool off before it would work again. I had my last power supply die on me a few months ago and got a replacement, which has worked perfectly fine until now. Strangely, the Internet seems to work fine,but I don't know what that could mean. 

Everything was working perfectly fine even a few hours ago. I haven't added or removed any hardware or programs and haven't changed any settings in anything except some keybindings on my Logitech G600 mouse.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Edited by hamluis, 03 February 2014 - 10:02 AM.
Moved from Vista to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:25 PM

Hi pr815, and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Please post the make and model of this computer.

It would help to know the make and model of the PSU you replaced the old one with.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Over heating could cause what you are experiencing, but let's get some more information before we go any further.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 pr815

pr815
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:20 AM

Okay, here's the Speccy log:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Eqijg5uTCmTLBWNIeeetnVT

My PC is a Gateway LX6810-01. Since I got it I've upgraded the CPU, graphics card, RAM, and power supply. The power supply I'm using now is a Solid Gear Neutron 650w.

Since my original post, things seem to have righted themselves for the most part. I seem to be able to access almost all of my files as quickly as before, and the Internet still works perfectly. The problem seems to be with one particular game whose directory appears to be corrupted. I have no idea why that happened, because it was working perfectly before and I didn't change anything, but that seems to be the problem all the same. I can't even delete it and try to reinstall it, because Windows tells me "the directory is not empty". I haven't tested the issue of the computer not turning on because I haven't had to turn it off again, so I can't say for sure whether that issue has been fixed.

It looks like I'll probably need help deleting that game's folder so I can reinstall it and try again. Of course, if the Speccy log shows any other problems, that would be good to know as well.

Sorry it took me a while to respond. I didn't notice the topic had been moved and thought there were just no replies yet.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:43 AM

While waiting for further suggestions from dc3, please use only one antivirus in your system as currently there are 3 protection softwares installed. Is Norton a trial version? If not, remove Avira and Lavasoft by Add or Remove Programs.

Lavasoft Ad-Watch Live! Anti-Virus
Antivirus: 
Enabled
Virus Signature Database: 
Up to date

Norton 360
Antivirus: 
Disabled
Up to date

Avira Desktop
Antivirus: 
Enabled
Up to date

Tekken

#5 pr815

pr815
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:12 AM

I've got a new problem. Now I can't save anything to the drive. I've tried to download files to the drive and I got a message saying "data error: cyclic redundancy check". I can still open everything that's already there, but can't add anything new.

Edited by pr815, 04 February 2014 - 02:20 AM.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:46 AM

What particular hard drive are you using when this error appeared? One of the USB hard drive contains numerous bad sectors according to speccy.

Tekken

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:27 AM

The reason you can't save anything on your hdd (disc 0) is because you only have 1% free space on your C: drive, this also explains a good part of your computer running slow.  You need to free up at least another 10% -15%.

As jhayz has pointed out your 2.5 (disc 1) has several bad sectors, but more importantly there are uncorrectable sectors.  These usually are indicative of a failing hdd.  I would suggest running Western Digital's diagnostic Data Lifeguard for DOS.  If the hdd doesn't fail the diagnostic test you should run chkdsk /r.  

Chkdsk /r checks for bad sectors on the hdd and recovers any readable information.

Type in cmd in the Search box.  When cmd is seen in Programs above the Search box right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

You will see a screen similar to the one below.

Screenshot2.jpg

Type in chkdsk c:/r then press Enter.  Please notice the space between the chkdsk and the /r.

You will receieve the message "CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  <Y/N>".

Type in Y and press Enter.

Restart your computer to start the scan.

This will take a while to run, please be patient and allow it to complete the scan.

Disc 2 also only has 1% free space.

Edited by dc3, 04 February 2014 - 10:22 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 pr815

pr815
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:29 AM

dc3, the drive I was trying to save things to was one of the external USB drives, the one with 1.36 TB capacity (second on the list in the speccy log). That drive has over 50% of its space free. That was also the drive I was trying to use when I got the error message. I assume that that's also the drive with bad sectors? If so, what can I do about it?

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:58 AM

I edited my last post, please read it as it addresses the second hdd.

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:44 PM

Thanks dc3 :thumbup2:

Tekken

#11 pr815

pr815
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:55 AM

I tried to run the Data Lifeguard for DOS, but when I clicked the exe, I was told that the file wasn't compatible with my version of Windows (Vista 64 bit). I found a Windows version of the program and ran that, but it would only let me check my computer's internal C drive. The USB drives, I and K, were listed as "logical drives" and I couldn't do anything with them. I did check the C drive and it didn't show any problems.

I also ran chkdsk. I left it while it was running to do something else, and when I came back, it had already finished. Was this a mistake? Did I need to be there to see or do something?

In any case, I think chkdsk also only checked the C drive, which doesn't seem to have any problems. The one I can't write to is K. Can I run chkdsk on that one just by changing c:/r to k:/r at the DOS prompt?

I think I also need a bit of clarification on which hard drive corresponds to which disc number in your post. I assume that disc 0 is C, disc 1 is K, and disc 2 is I. This makes sense, because you said disc 2 has 1% free space left and that is true for my I: drive. I think we're having a misunderstanding, though. I understand that the C drive being so full is slowing my computer down. However, you said that was also the reason I can't write anything to it, but I can write things to it. The only hard drive that's giving me any problems at all is the K drive, or disc 1 if I'm reading your post correctly.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:22 AM

Please read the following instructions at Western Digital regarding running Data Lifeguard for DOS.

If you wish to run chkdsk on a specific drive you will need to designate the drive before the switch.  

Example:  chkdsk c: /r  Please note the spaces.

Disk 0 is C:

Disk 1 is K:

Disk 2 is I:

And thank you jhayz. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users