Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Mass Storage device - Drives -(F; G:, H:, I:,)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 judewhopper

judewhopper

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:59 PM

I’ll try to keep it short as possible. Been reading the do’s and don’ts most of the day and made it a long way through the elephant in the room post. Already knew the do's and don'ts but wanted to make sure. Haven't been here in a while.

One problem - got a few more, slow of course - I can barely write this.

Each time I reboot my pc, I get an icon in my systray to remove new hardware. This I really only noticed today so I don’t know if it’s always been there - 2nd/extra computer, desktop/changing to Windows 7 I hope with your help.

The message: USB Mass Storage device - Drives -(F; G:, H:, I:,)

Not even sure I have all of those..

Second problem, only mention it here because it might be realted. I bought this computer used. It’s obvious that he tried to clean out his data first and most likely got more than his data or it had a bad effect. From the first time it was started a pop-up says:

"WELCOME TO THE FOUND NEW HARDWARE WIZARD! (You lucky JERK!) "This wizard helps you install software for: PCI device".

Tried the wizard a few times - Windows can’t find the software. I don’t have a disk that it will take either. I just close it but it pops back up every few minutes. Have no idea what it wants or what a PCI device is to try tracking something down.

HP Pavilllion a630n

MS Windows XP Home Editiion Service pack 3

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 280 GHz, 503 MG

Intel 82516 Express family Chipset.

I got coreinfo, and Speccy while crusing the site today if you need more info. Just had to close this window to get the name "Speccy" and had to close the "found new hardware" window because it was locking everything - Goofy thing wouldn’t close for about 2 minutes to close. Now it’s back again.

Thanks,

Danny

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:34 AM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer forum.

The message: USB Mass Storage device - Drives -(F; G:, H:, I:,)

Not even sure I have all of those..

According to the official specs ( http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c00210099 ),your PC seems to have come with USB card reader. XP will show the "Safely remove Hardware" message if there is a card reader is plugged so there is nothing wrong with that.

ried the wizard a few times - Windows can’t find the software. I don’t have a disk that it will take either.

To identify the device with missing driver, please follow the below steps.

1. Open RUN dialogue ( Win key + R ) and enter Msinfo32.exe in it.

2. When the "System Information" tool opens, choose File -> Save and give a name a name of your choice. 

3. Download and install 7-Zip from http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sevenzip/7z920.exe

4. Now right click on the saved file and choose  7-zip --> Add to archive. This will compress and considerable reduce the file size.

7zip-create.jpg

5. Attach the file using More Reply Options --> Attach files with next reply.

Edited by hamluis, 03 February 2014 - 07:55 AM.

#3 judewhopper

judewhopper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:22 AM

Attached File  BleepingComputer Msinfo32.exeFile.nfo.zip   62.78KB   5 downloads

Thank You and I'm sorry - can't cop7y and paste the other part of your reply above this info., But I have a card reader but no card is installed.

Thanks,

Danny

#4 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:44 AM

With all due respect, this machine is almost 10 years old. It's time for a replacement and Windows 7. Frankly, I'm surprised it's still running. It came with recovery media, so you might try to reinstall the system, but the Office and Works, along with a lot of other stuff, are all trial versions. I wouldn't install them. Also, once activated, XP allows using Microsoft Security Essentials for avtivirus/antimalware, so don't install Avast or anything else. Seriously, it's time for a quiet funeral.

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:09 PM

Hi

The audio driver seems to be not installed. First open "Control Panel-->Add\Remove Programs" and uninstall "Realtek High Definition Audio" ( if present ) and reboot the machine. Now download and install the below driver.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software5/COL10368/pv-29786-2/sp26552.exe

Let me know whether it helps.

Btw, XP will show the card readers even if they are empty.

#6 judewhopper

judewhopper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:28 PM

With all due respect, this machine is almost 10 years old. It's time for a replacement and Windows 7. Frankly, I'm surprised it's still running. It came with recovery media, so you might try to reinstall the system, but the Office and Works, along with a lot of other stuff, are all trial versions. I wouldn't install them. Also, once activated, XP allows using Microsoft Security Essentials for avtivirus/antimalware, so don't install Avast or anything else. Seriously, it's time for a quiet funeral.

With even more respect, I don't think you know what you are talking about. Furthermore you don't know my plans or why I'm trying to fix this machine. This is the first of many questions. And it  is possible to convert this machine to Win 7 cheaper than a new machine. The condition of it is too bad to attempt at the moment.

Edited by judewhopper, 04 February 2014 - 07:38 PM.

#7 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:55 PM

Sorry.

#8 judewhopper

judewhopper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:07 PM

Hi

The audio driver seems to be not installed. First open "Control Panel-->Add\Remove Programs" and uninstall "Realtek High Definition Audio" ( if present ) and reboot the machine. Now download and install the below driver.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software5/COL10368/pv-29786-2/sp26552.exe

Let me know whether it helps.

Btw, XP will show the card readers even if they are empty.

Well, l, tried all of that and no love - still no sound either if it matters. Just an anoying hum from the speakers. Still get the "PCI Device Found" at the bottom right corner and a pop up for a wizard to find the driver at start-up. I even ran the wizard just in case it was for whatever I just installed but it came back saying it can't find anything. I clicked the box saying "Do not show me this again" but you know how well that works... or can guess. I've tried it before.

I have more questions, just trying to keep it to one per thread like they ask. If it's possible it's something else I can work up a list.

Thanks,

Danny

Edited by judewhopper, 04 February 2014 - 08:10 PM.

#9 judewhopper

judewhopper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:08 PM

Sorry.

Hey, no problem. My truck is 50 years old. I buy things to keep, upgrade and make new again. Really don't care if it cost too much.

#10 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:47 PM

OK. My approach would be to get at least Win 7 Home Premium, OEM (system builder) 32-bit ($89.99 at Tiger Direct, $99.99 at Newegg and Amazon). If you haven't done it already, expand the memory to a full 4GB of PC3200. Make sure you back up any data you want to preserve. If you intend to replace the hard disk, that backup will not be necessary. Just use a USB to SATA adapter and use the disk as an external after W7 is installed and set up.

Next I would download and run Microsoft Windows 7 Advisor on your present system. That will tell you if the hardware will support 7.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

I suspect the internal graphics in the Intel 915 chipset will not suffice. You may need to disable it in BIOS setup and use a separate video card. An nVidia 9500 series is cheap and will work.

Finally, reformat the hard disk, or better, replace it (I'm assuming this is an old disk) and do a clean (custom) install of Windows 7. You can probably get the drivers for that motherboard from HP Support. You will need at least 60GB for Win 7, plus at least another 100GB for applications, data, etc.

There is no direct upgrade path from XP to 7 - you have to do a "custom" clean install, so settings, data, etc., cannot be preserved or transferred.

If I'm still butting in, I'll shut up and go away.

#11 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:21 PM

I went to the HP support site for this machine (Pavilion a630n).

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=426322&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

There are no drivers for Windows 7, only XP. This may be a problem because many XP drivers are not compatible with Win 7. You may have to contact them directly for help.

#12 judewhopper

judewhopper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:15 AM

If I'm still butting in, I'll shut up and go away.

Definitely not... I need all the help I can get. I didn't mean to sound short. I'm actually tall enough that I grew through my hair.

I am/was/maybe/almost thinking of upgrading to 7 and already have it. I read a lot on here before posting and thought it was just a memory upgrade I needed mostly. I already ran the Win 7 advisor. If it's that complicated I may not be able to do it (since I understand only about half of what you said...). Changing the hard drive is no problem - switching everything to it from the old one might as well be written in Chinese. Changing the Ram is no problem - I mean physically, not the cost.

Looks like I have two options though, a hard/impossible one or just get this one running right and stay off the internet with it. I have a Win 7 machine that worked great but something blew in it - maybe I should be trying to get it fixed instead,

My biggest problem is I got my first computer in 96. Up until now I've been using one main program - a Win95 program - to store a lot of data. Now computers won't take the program. I had one Win 7 laptop that worked fairly well, then got a new one that wouldn't even load the program. The new Microsoft Word drives me crazy trying to learn it. I had a business and all excited and had no problem spending hours/days learning the old one which is so simple and wish I could use it (MS Publisher 95).  Don't have a clue that doesn't take longer than fixing this old machine  to convert MS Publisher data to MS Word. Just seems they leave you hanging.

Main thing now is just get this one working correctly. I want to do that either way if it's not just totally fried. I'll figure out or learn something to do after that. Looks like a lot of copy/pasting into a program that I don't know how to use - then take a course or something to learn to use it. Seems like a useless program to me at the moment (MS Word).

But I also have a mostly useless computer too. I would really like to get the bugs out of it. This is just one of many.

Thanks,

Danny

#13 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:48 AM

Hi

The PCI Device is nothing but the High Definition Audio Bus. Usually XP SP3 supports high definition audio bus out of the box so the found new hardware wizard is not supposed to be popup. So i see two possibilities. Either the Windows XP is somehow corrupted and lost some system files or the audio device is faulty. Most probably it will be an OS fault. A repair installation which preserves all the data and installed programs is the best option here. Do you have the XP installation CD and it's key available ?. 

#14 judewhopper

judewhopper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:30 AM

Thanks,

Sadly, no, I didn't get any discs/key or anything with this computer - bought it used. It's obvious that the previous owner went through taking all of his files out. I'm almost positive that he took something that the computer needed. In my short experience, that never works. It had no virus protection on it and Avast found a zillion and 3 infections, then a few other programs found more. So it's also obvious that he didn't have a program to wipe his data safely. I could look through the box of junk that came with it and see if there are any floppy discs. I think there were but didn't know what they were. I don't think I would trust whatever is on them. Looking at other people's work kinda lets you know if they knew what they were doing or not.

I don't have any sound at all if you missed that part. My last post was too long.

I have no problem buying a new Win 98 on Ebay or something (if they are still there, I haven't looked in a while) or switching it to win 7 which I do have a new installation CD, in the box with all the keys and all.

This machine is very slow, sticky and clunky. It will handle maybe two windows open at a time after you get it running well. To get it running well sometimes takes a few restarts to clear it's throat. I was going to start asking about that next but this may all be connected.

I'm not a computer guy much. I am very handy with fixing almost anything and replacing things in a computer are SIMPLE next to most things I've done in my life except I don't know the names or what they look like when you tell me to replace something. I know Hard Drive, Ram slots and cards and fans - maybe a few more.

Hard part is buying it all. I went through the "windows 7 advisor" on this site (or maybe got the link here...) and have a very short list of things I thought I needed to change. Ram for one. It has about 500 mb and needs at least, (guessing here - memory is not as good as it once was) - 2 GB? Then someone said it needed at least 3 to really run well. I have 4 slots with 2 used. But then someone said it was useless to change this machine to 7 so I'm lost on that part.

If someone will pronounce this thing dead, I do have another computer that something electrical happened to but was a fast enough, well running computer and already Win 7, worked well with my programs. I bought this one to replace it. Maybe I'm working on the wrong computer? The old one is actually older but was rebuilt/hand built by someone who knew what they were doing. Hard drive or some power source is blown. No power at all. It wouldn't restart for a while and I had to unplug and re-plug the hard drive to get it going each time. It sparked once and went dead. Maybe useless too?

I got a nice flat screen out of the deal and more desk space. I have no problem tossing it if it's a lost cause.

Really need some advice if either sounds repairable. I'll have to use this one as it is right now. A new computer isn't in my near future.

Thanks,

Danny

Edited by judewhopper, 07 February 2014 - 07:37 AM.

#15 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:24 AM

Hi

Since this machine is very old and it's display adapter is not compatible with Windows 7, i won't recommend changing your OS at all. 

This are the possible suggestions i have :

1. Retrieve the CD key from the currently installed Windows and clean install using a disc borrowed from a friend/downloaded from net. 

Pros: Nothing changes at hardware level. No additional cost involved.

Cons: Win XP won't be supported by Microsoft after April 2014. Since Microsoft won't release hotfixes to patch security loopholes, using this system to browse internet will be risky.

2. Install Linux.

Linux will give a new life to this old machine. If your main purpose is to browse Internet, Linux is more than perfect for that. It is much safer than Windows. As a bonus, you won't need to worry about malwares and spywares. 

3. Upgrade the machine and Install Windows 7.

You can upgrade this system by changing the motherboard, CPU and RAM. If the current hard drive is healthy, you can keep it and also other peripherals like  monitor etc. An Intel Dual Core CPU , entry level Motherboard and 4GB DDR3 won't cost too much. You will enjoy the performance as it is like a brand new machine. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users