Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 scissorgal54

scissorgal54

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

I recently started having trouble with my DVD writer. this is the error I get " Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)" Everything I've researched about this message says to update my driver.  Did this even bought a new dvd player and it says the same thing.  Any suggestions? Wondering could it possible be a bad cable?  Even changed the port on the motherboard to see if it could be that in the new dvd player.

Thanks for any input.

sicissorgal54

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

Hello scissorgal54

The Microsoft version of your exact error -

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. To fix this problem you should uninstall and then reinstall the hardware device. (Code 19)

If the device is a CD or DVD drive, follow the procedure in Article ID 929461 on the Microsoft Web site (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=192798).

• Restart the computer in Safe Mode, and then select Last Known Good Configuration. This rolls back to the most recent successful registry configuration.

Try this first and tell us what the result is (or seems to be)

Edited by noknojon, 02 February 2014 - 09:18 PM.

#3 scissorgal54

scissorgal54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:47 PM

Thank You!!! it worked I followed your directions and it now works! I had a feeling it might be the registry but I didn't know how to go about deleting it without messing everything up.   Thank you again!!!

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:54 AM

Hi -

You are welcome from Bleeping Computer (and from M/soft).

The directions were Vista based, but Windows 7 is the same.

Keep an eye on it for a week ........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users