Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Perdurat In Aeternum

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Skippyroo

Skippyroo

• Banned
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:28 PM

BP Index says :-
Windows 95/98/ME
Yup, people still use these venerable Operating Systems, and they can come here for help with them!

Well I never ! So these ancient systems are still plodding on, presumably happily and dearly loved by their users.

So all the drum banging and threats of "Apocalypse Now" by MS and their enthusiastic fan club concerning the imminent death of Windows XP in April 2014 and all the ills of Pandora that will fall upon XP users like myself, through MS support being withdrawn, is nothing but a puff of wind.

If Windows 95/98/ME can survive over 14 years, then the most popular system that MS ever produced - XP - will still be alive and kicking in 2030.

I don`t reckon my sleep will be disturbed one jot.

RIP all those awful threats about potential bugs and blue screens which have bombarded me up until now by the MS devoted flock, I confidently look forward to yet another decade of faithful and trouble free service from my beloved XP.

AMEN

Edited by Orange Blossom, 03 February 2014 - 06:32 PM.
Moved to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,961 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:30 PM

You have a valid point about the functioning survival of XP - it's not going to turn its toes up, fall off its perch and die come April 2014, or even the summer of 2015, but the environment has changed since those glorious days when we were able to  move on from Windows 3.x.

Primarily, the risk is to your data from malicious outside influences. If you don't use a computer to go on-line, then there is virtually no risk. But the days when one might spend 10 or 15 minutes a day on-line checking e-mails are very much in the past. This was driven home to me, and my wife, a couple of months ago when a telephone engineer climbed the pole outside our house to carry out a repair and accidentally broke our connection, and it took 72 hours to get our phone and internet back. Never mind leisure activities, we both had work to do which required being on-line.

The more you use the internet, the greater the risks of running into trouble sooner or later. And if your software is not being updated, the risks increase even faster.

On top of that, there is the hardware problem. A lot of computers built to run XP use IDE connectors, and IDE connected hardware is becoming quite hard to find. Hard and optical drives do not last forever.

But yes, as long as your equipment keeps on running and you are not too adventurous in your web browsing, you can carry on using XP - or any other 'mature' OS - as long as you want.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Skippyroo

Skippyroo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:19 AM

Dear Chris,

Thank you for the information.

I use Sandboxie as a bug defense, so I don`t mind not having all those boring MS security updates clogging up GB`s of my disc space with their installing and uninstalling programs. I have just deleted all the Windows update uninstall programs that have accumulated over the past 10 years and released 2 GB of disc space. After April, I will delete all the install programs and get another GB.

If 95, 98, ME are still kicking after over 14 years, I am sure that XP will have no problem free-wheeling past such a performance.. My needs are simple, I use the Internet as a browsing encyclopedia and nothing else, no games, video`s or anything other than an information reference bank.

I did not intend to generate any discussion on the imminent death of poor XP, that has been hacked to pieces many times. I simply wanted to comment on the apparent survival of these ancient systems, as against the fictitiously exaggerated holocaust of unspeakable tragedy that MS and many of the brainwashed addicts of Win 7 and 8, promise will befall anybody stupid enough to still operate XP after the kiss of death has been applied in April 2014.

"Perdurat In Aeternum" translates into "Continues in Forever" or commonly "Lasts Forever"

Edited by Skippyroo, 03 February 2014 - 11:35 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:53 PM

On top of that, there is the hardware problem. A lot of computers built to run XP use IDE connectors, and IDE connected hardware is becoming quite hard to find. Hard and optical drives do not last forever.

Chris Cosgrove

I know IDE optical drives are practically non-existant, and hard drives also. I still have a 160 GB IDE Seagate I bought years ago that has never been opened. But I did find this on ebay. Not sure how good it is but it should extend the life of my XP emachines computer. Plugs into the IDE port of the motherboard and runs two SATA drives. Probably not a speed demon though.

I don't know if it's just luck but I have never had a hard drive fail on me in 15 years.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:47 AM

the nice thing is most people don't realize is, most people will move on to 7 and 8-and that includes the writers of malicious software. sure, there will be a few, but not near as many as the new operating systems, which means the threat to XP users isn't anywhere as high as MS makes it out to be. Sure, its something to be mindful of, to take precautions against-but its not a end of the world threat either.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 Skippyroo

Skippyroo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:26 AM

Comment by Patriot11
The nice thing is most people don't realize is, most people will move on to 7 and 8-and that includes the writers of malicious software. sure, there will be a few, but not near as many as the new operating systems, which means the threat to XP users isn't anywhere as high as MS makes it out to be. Sure, its something to be mindful of, to take precautions against-but its not a end of the world threat either.

Dear Patriot,

What a very rational and sensible post of yours. It is the most logical, self controlled and intelligent comment I have seen so far on the imminent death of poor XP, from the infinite mix of paranoia and schizophrenic outbursts by official sources and punters on the web to-date.

Your reference to malicious pranksters and hackers, follows the same philosophy that carjackers, car thieves and joyriders employ - they do not waste their time on the old bangers, but go for the nice new models.

Well done and thank you so much for rearing your lonely head from the frenzied masses forecasting eternal damnation.

Edited by Skippyroo, 05 February 2014 - 10:46 AM.

#7 lti

lti

• Members
  • 580 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:46 AM

I still have two computers running Windows 98. I can only connect one to the internet, but I only did that once.

I don't like Windows 7. It is too hard to change settings because Microsoft had to rename a lot of control panel items and move everything around. It is also slower than other versions of Windows due to the strange disk activity that occurs when performing simple tasks, such as plugging in a flash drive or even headphones. It saves an unusually large amount of error logs and tries to read all of them when opening Event Viewer. The program grouping in the taskbar isn't helpful, and making the taskbar larger than normal to fit desktop-size icons in it doesn't work when most modern laptops only have a screen resolution of 1366x768.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:24 PM

Comment by Patriot11
The nice thing is most people don't realize is, most people will move on to 7 and 8-and that includes the writers of malicious software. sure, there will be a few, but not near as many as the new operating systems, which means the threat to XP users isn't anywhere as high as MS makes it out to be. Sure, its something to be mindful of, to take precautions against-but its not a end of the world threat either.

Dear Patriot,

What a very rational and sensible post of yours. It is the most logical, self controlled and intelligent comment I have seen so far on the imminent death of poor XP, from the infinite mix of paranoia and schizophrenic outbursts by official sources and punters on the web to-date.

Your reference to malicious pranksters and hackers, follows the same philosophy that carjackers, car thieves and joyriders employ - they do not waste their time on the old bangers, but go for the nice new models.

Well done and thank you so much for rearing your lonely head from the frenzied masses forecasting eternal damnation.

Some disagreement from me. Crooks always go for the low hanging fruit. Older computers are likely to be less secure. Whether from the fact that many, not all, are using the older windows due to financial constraints. Which would also indicate that they may not have the latest Security software. Also the older windows versions are less secure.

From here

the National Insurance Crime Bureau looked at the 10 most stolen vehicles in 2012 by make and model,

As a result, the top 10 for this year shows that older cars and newer pickups are at the greatest risk for theft.

My guess is that the older cars are being stolen and chopped up to feed the demand for low cost parts to keep older cars running.

Cheers

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:47 PM

I didnt say that they all would-I said a good many of them would. There will always be bottom feeders out there trying to get into your system, there still are for 98, 95 and I imagine a few bored morons trying to hack 3.1 Thats why I said you should be mindful, and take some precautions-have a good firewall and anti-virus, and of course be smart how you surf the net-what I said was a good portion of the hackers, especially the big ones will move on. If theyre trying to get money then theyre going to want to hit the biggest amount of people possible for the highest payout-which means a current and popular OS. If they do it for a challenge, well XP is no longer a challenge. Whats left are the bottom feeders and those that simply arnt good enough to hack a windows 7 or 8 OS.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:54 PM

Chris Cosgrove

I know IDE optical drives are practically non-existant, and hard drives also. I still have a 160 GB IDE Seagate I bought years ago that has never been opened. But I did find this on ebay. Not sure how good it is but it should extend the life of my XP emachines computer. Plugs into the IDE port of the motherboard and runs two SATA drives. Probably not a speed demon though.

I don't know if it's just luck but I have never had a hard drive fail on me in 15 years.

I know the advertisement does not say, however that adapter looks like one I have seen and it can only support one SATA on the IDE port if it is. The one I saw used one SATA port to feed the drive from the IDE port and the other SATA port was used to connect to the Motherboard to feed a IDE drive. I think that design made for simpler electronics.

Best Regards

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#11 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:04 PM

My money is on Windows 7 being the next OS to be nailed with malicious software.  With 47.49% of the market, why waste your time with any other one?

If anyone is interested, here is the break-down as of January 2014:

Operating System Total Market Share trend.gif Windows 7 47.49% trend.gif Windows XP 29.23% trend.gif Windows 8 6.63% trend.gif Windows 8.1 3.95% trend.gif Windows Vista 3.30% trend.gif Mac OS X 10.9 3.20% trend.gif Linux 1.60% trend.gif Mac OS X 10.8 1.48% trend.gif Mac OS X 10.6 1.44% trend.gif Mac OS X 10.7 1.19% trend.gif Mac OS X 10.5 0.29% trend.gif Windows NT 0.07% trend.gif Mac OS X 10.4 0.07% trend.gif Windows 2000 0.03% trend.gif Mac OS X (no version reported) 0.01% trend.gif Windows 98

#12 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:28 AM

You have to think about the possibility that many hackers out there are probably waiting for the end of XP, just so they can release all havoc on it with their unknown unpatched exploits, viruses, ect. With that said the only people who can patch the issue is Microsoft. So the question is do you want to have a machine running XP that can potentially be a backdoor to your network? A vunerable XP machine that can be used as a vector into something else? The logical answer to that is NO. The poster above (battyhippie) shown that XP still has a 29% footprint on the market. YIKES! Many are used in banking, money machines, companies with critical systems, water plants, power plants. Face it XP has to Die. The companies still using XP had plenty of time to plan and knew this was coming. Also, I might add that Linux at 1.60% is only a revenue aspect. It's open source. Linux footprint is a hell of a lot larger than what some would think.

#13 Skippyroo

Skippyroo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:08 PM

@ technonymous

Good comment, makes sense.

Regarding any prospective tsunami of bugs which may be unleashed onto my XP, by malicious misfits, I have no worries at all.

I have Windows XP MS updates turned off at present and just occasionally check for essential updates, which I will continue to do until Doomsday. Using Sandboxie, plus a good AV and FW with SpywareBlaster acting as super catcher they will have to work extremely hard to make a dent in that setup.

With a global share of 30-40%, XP will not be dropped like a hot potato by all these auxiliary programs for a long time to come.

Quite honestly I am looking forward to a fight and have little to fear. They will be wasting their time on me and I suggest they go and play with all those millions of nice new Win 7 and 8`s that operate a non-virtual hard drive system.

Edited by Skippyroo, 08 February 2014 - 12:43 PM.

#14 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:49 PM

What those figures did not state was that in January 2014, the number of XP users went UP...

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Despite-Imminent-Retirement-More-Users-Move-to-Windows-XP-422888.shtml

Interesting...

#15 Skippyroo

Skippyroo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:05 AM

@ battyhippie

Brilliant !

The large usage of XP is not in North America or Europe, the lands of plenty, but in the rest of the world which MS tend to forget. China for example has an enormous XP fan club with 72% of their domestic market and China is fast chasing Uncle Sam to become the worlds major economic and prosperous power. It is forecast that China will achieve world top dog in a few years time as an economic power, relegating the US to second place.

A little thing like MS will not stand in China`s way. If they can make you a "genuine" gold Rolex watch for a few bucks, they sure will get round the XP problem with no sweat at all.

Like that 1930`s Roosevelt era depression booster song said :-
Happy days are here again

Edited by Skippyroo, 09 February 2014 - 11:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users