Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server Build Advice Needed

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:24 PM

Hello guys, please bare with me and feel free to move this to a more accurate forum if I haven't posted it in the right place.

I just recently upgrade my desktop and am looking into converting my old one into a server. My plan is to install a LAMPP stack on it using ubuntu server and also add asterisk pbx and the software for mail servers. I have seen many tutorials online on how to set this up and secure it, but my problem is I am not sure what extra hardware may be require to set this up. Do I need an extra NIC card and/or modem? This is where I come at a loss. I want to use the server for mail, IP/VOIP phones, hosting a basic website (not expecting much traffic, it will be for resume's and such), and playing around with the other features of LAMPP and exploring Linux further.

The desktop currently is as follows:

AMD Athlon II Dual Core 2.1 Ghz Processor

ASUS M2N-VM-DVI Motherboard

NVIDIA Geforce 9800 GT Graphics Card

3 GB DDR2 RAM

160 GB Western Digital HDD

Please let me know what I might need to arrange this properly to make it a properly functioning server. I don't plan on spending a whole lot on this so please keep prices low. I want the asterisk to be able to host 2-4 phone lines (Business phone, Fax, Family Phone, Personal Private Phone). Also let me know if this is even possible with this system and on a budget. Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:33 AM

Seems as though, nobody here is familiar with such a server to help. I have however managed to figure out a solution on my own. Please close this thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users