Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard error, possibly?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 firechicken93

firechicken93

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:26 PM

I've recently got an HP G60-630US and had a question about something thats going on. When starting the computer it will not load anything except go to the boot manage screen where you are supposed to be able to select WINDOWS 7 etc. Only problem is you can't use the arrows or anything.

So I tried holding the FN key down and it will turn on and work properly, except the keyboard still will not work. Now the odd thing. If I keep the FN key held down I am able to click on icons and open programs. But when I left off the FN key, and click on an icon or program it pops up with the DELETE FOLDER screen.

Also when FN is held down the touchpad works, once FN is released, nothing.

Im at a loss guys. Anyone had this occur before?

Edited by hamluis, 03 February 2014 - 06:51 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:22 PM

Hi firechicken93 and welcome to BC. Please try unplugging the laptop, removing the battery then holding the power button for 30-45 seconds. After this, replace the battery and plug and try again.

#3 firechicken93

firechicken93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:46 PM

Alright, did that, but same result.

#4 firechicken93

firechicken93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:07 PM

Still could use the help. Thanks.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,051 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:12 PM

In the bios is C: shown as the boot drive?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:48 AM

I have a feeling you have a stuck key on the keyboard. This takes a while but: Tap each key on the keyboard a few times firmly. If a key is stuck sometimes this will fix the problem. If this does not fix the problem, can you get into a bios screen by tapping esc, f1 or f2, or delete after powering on the system? If you can test your arrow keys there...

A bad keyboard could also be the cause. If tapping all the keys did nothing, I would try to remove the keyboard.

Remove the power adapter and battery from the computer.

Here is a video which should work to help you remove the keyboard:

With the keyboard unplugged from the main board, power the computer on (you can use a usb keyboard if you have one) and see if it boots normally and functions correctly. Keyboards are not that expensive and fairly easy to replace most of the time.

Edited by zingo156, 06 February 2014 - 10:59 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,051 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:32 PM

Something to try, once it is removed from the LT lay it face down gently tap from end to end.  That may loosen/dislodge small bits of junk, then turn over and vacuum it put a piece of nylon stocking over the vacuums end though it has never happened to me a key may get sucked up.  I have revived a couple doing so, "NOTE" do not vacuum while in place on the LT, static can cause damage

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users