Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Optonline wonder if they are legal

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:01 AM

I am locked into Optonline not by choice, I have tried to switch but have been informed by other providers Optonline has a contract with the town.  I feel it is a restriction of free trade and a most certainly should be considered illegal!

I also feel most cable providers abuse their power over us, the services should/could be more modestly priced.  Many are not old enough to remember, when cable first became available many jumped on it.  It offered better reception more channels best of all was -0- commercials, you really got a bang for you buck.  Today they can't get enough out of us, they throttle connection speeds forcing upgrades in service.  My provider now has three speed packages, there needs to be more free market so we can again get a decent bang for the buck.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:05 PM

When I had cable back in the 80's there were commercials in between shows on the major networks the only commercial free programming was the paid for programming like HBO, Cinemax, EnCore, and others like it. Why not send a petition out and deliver it to your mayor?

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:04 PM

We had cable late 50's, I think it is only in the 20 years that it has gotten to where it is now.  There were laws on commercial times, 30 minutes on the hour and half hour, 15 minutes on the 1/4 hours so much for that now you get about 16 minutes of program per 1/2 hour.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:16 PM

I would highly recommend that you send out a petition. Its how I got Verizon FiOS to our apartments to compete with Comcast.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:23 PM

I have spoken to a few people, one comment was complain and you may lose cable.  I have thought of writing an article in the paper, maybe anonymously would stir the pot!  I do have one out satellite, not sure how that is.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:30 PM

A petition is the best way, and I would forego the anonymous point of view. If you have a cause fight for it under your own name.

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:40 PM

I might be labeled a Whistle Blower and gain Snowden status!!!!!!!!!!!

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:53 PM

NO you will not be labeled a whistle blower, and Snowden is not a whistle blower he is a traitor and disgrace to democracy around the world. He is a treasonous man. You would be a whistle blower if you worked for Optonline and released the contract details.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users