Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

having some hard drive issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 irekkin

irekkin

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:02 AM

hello,

I believe i'm having some hard drive issues but not for sure. my computer is a home build running windows 7, asus mother board with amd cpu. using Microsoft security essentials for antivirus and fire wall. originally I had a problem with the computer not booting and at the time I couldn't stop to figure it out myself. took it to a local shop that I have used several times. they got it up and going but informed me the hard drive had bad clusters/ sectors. since then I haven't had any problems with it booting up but it will not let me down load anything, not even windows updates, get error code 9c47. I've tried disabling security and fire wall but still no-go on downloads. I have run chkdsk but I didn't see any obvious problems there, but i'm no expert. right now i'm running sfc/scannow and so far it does show corrupted files that can't be repaired. well, that's my problem. thanks for any and all advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Brandon Young

Brandon Young

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:32 AM

Personally I would just buy a new hard drive If there are bad sectors. If Its a PC It wont be that hard to install a new one, But If its a laptop I don't  know because I've never fixed a laptop.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,387 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:59 PM

I would not buy a hard drive...unless I was certain that I needed one.

Every hard drive has bad sectors...it's just part of making a hard drive.  The problems arise when system files are stored on bad sectors, which did not exist when the partition was created (bad sectors are not used when creating a partition, they are marked and worked around).

The development of bad sectors on a given partition is interpreted by many as a problem and a possible indication of more serious problems with the hard drive.

You can run the following hard drive diagnostic tool to check the functional status of your hard drive, following the instructions provided.  Do not attempt to repair anything using the tool, just run the long/extended diagnostic of the hard drive.

Guide, SeaTools For DOS - http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOSguide.pdf

SeaTools for DOS Download - http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users