Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Securing Wireless Router

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AndrewSe

AndrewSe

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:54 AM

Hi

I have a peak hardware 802.11b/g wireless router in my network and am trying to set up wireless security and don't know what one to pick. It gives 4 options:

WEP

WPA

WPA2 (AES)

WPA2 (mixed)

Which one do I go for? In reality I do not want to use the wireless function on the router and would prefer to turn it off altogether because I just use the LAN wired plugs. Under wireless > basic settings there is a tick box disable access point. I don't know if this turns off the whole router or just wireless access, can I just tick this to turn off the wireless?

I'm also trying to find a file to upgrade the firmware, I can't seem to find peak hardware site or anything that relates to it.

Thanks

G

Edited by AndrewSe, 02 February 2014 - 08:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:59 PM

WPA2(mixed) would be good. I believe it will turn just the wireless portion. But it's a guess without knowing the make and model of router. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:58 PM

Access point refers to the wireless, the Lan would refer to the "router".

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:47 PM

Wireless-b/g it needs to be set to WPA(tkip/aes).  A lot of b/g devices do not like WPA2(tkip/aes) very well.

#5 AndrewSe

AndrewSe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:15 AM

WPA2(mixed) would be good. I believe it will turn just the wireless portion. But it's a guess without knowing the make and model of router. 

I turneoff the access point, which was under the wireless, and it does seem to have turned off the wireless going by the results from ipconfig.

#6 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:17 AM

I turneoff the access point, which was under the wireless, and it does seem to have turned off the wireless going by the results from ipconfig.

The Access Point is the Wireless radio.  Maybe you should post the manufacturer & model# of the router, so the rest of us are on the same page.

#7 AndrewSe

AndrewSe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:10 AM

The Access Point is the Wireless radio.  Maybe you should post the manufacturer & model# of the router, so the rest of us are on the same page.

The serial number is:

MQ4WR254

Edited by AndrewSe, 04 February 2014 - 05:12 AM.

#8 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:34 AM

Did not ask for the Serial number.  Asked for the Manufacturer & model # of the modem & router device(s).  Since that matches the same FCC ID, I am finding this: 

Hawking HWR54G rev R

Is this your device?  If not, you need to answer my questions.

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:22 PM

If you don't need wireless then don't worry about this thread anymore. When/if you do turn it back on and use WPA2(mixed) if on the off chance your wireless device doesn't like that try WPA2(AES). Good Luck

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users