Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard expansion.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Bradner

Bradner

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:32 AM

Hi guys. I have a mircro atx and the main problem is that it has only 1 usb 2.0 and 1 usb 3.0 and one slot for system fan. Is there something oute there that i can expand it?

Edited by hamluis, 02 February 2014 - 12:04 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:26 AM

Have noticed from another thread that you have a Gigabyte B75M-D3H board.  According to the spec that has 6 rear USB ports (4 x USB 2.0, 2 x USB 3.0) and the ability to have 6 further ports (again 4 x USB 2.0, 2 x USB 3.0) connected to the internal USB headers.  This should be enough for most uses I would think??  If not you can add more through an expansion card

For one system fan header you can use something like Arctic Cooling PWM fans which allow you to daisy chain a number of fans off one port PWM port (the system fan header is a 4 pin PWM port).  Watch the overall current draw if you planning daisy chaining more than 2 or 3 fans.  A less elegant solution is a simple Molex to 3 pin converter.  Or a more costly solution would be a standalone fan controller like these.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Bradner

Bradner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:02 AM

Ihave alreade a 140mm fan aerocool and 120mm fan cooleramster. The problem is that my motherboard only 1 system fan pin. Also inside my motherboard there are only 2 usb headers. So i would like to know if i can expand the usb headers and sysyem fan headers! 

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:32 AM

If you have that motherboard (please confirm) you have three sets of USB headers...  F_USB1, F_USB2 and F_USB30 which is the blue plug next to the memory slots.  Each of these headers will run 2 USB ports (6 ports in total).

No you cannot expand the system fan headers!  I gave some possible workarounds for powering more fans in my previous post.

Edited by jonuk76, 02 February 2014 - 10:37 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Bradner

Bradner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:46 AM

Thats correct. I have F_USB1, F_USB2 and F_USB30. USB1 is taken, USB2 is taken and USB30 is different than the other 2. It has more pins and all the slot is different.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:05 AM

It's a USB 3.0 header, that is why it's different.  It works with USB 3.0 ports.  The others are USB 2.0/1.1.  If you have no USB 3.0 ports on your case you can get panels that fit in a 3.5 inch floppy bay, like this.  You can also add more ports via an expansion card if 12 ports is not enough.  Also remember you can use USB hubs if you need to connect large numbers of devices.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 Bradner

Bradner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:59 AM

Yes understood. In real i want this expansion tp be inside the case something like this http://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/99-iu01-usb-expansion-case-accessory.

Will this work? 

Edited by Bradner, 02 February 2014 - 11:59 AM.

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:36 PM

That is effectively an internal powered hub.  There's no reason why it wouldn't work.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 Bradner

Bradner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:53 PM

Something like this will help me. I dont need more external usb ports!
I will get it. I dotn know if this product contains the usb cable to connect it with the motherboard. Do I have to get it separetely?

Edited by Bradner, 02 February 2014 - 03:01 PM.

#10 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:03 PM

I just read back "no reason why it wouldn't work" and thought it could be confusing to non native English speakers, so the clearer version is "Yes, it will work".  :)

7sbvuf-6.png

#11 Bradner

Bradner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:10 PM

Haha no, i understood what you mean. 

It will work. I checked it on amazon and it dont describe anywhere if the connection cable with the motherboard is included. 

Do i have to get it seperately?

#12 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:52 PM

The manual mentions "the cable provided" so I'd assume it's included in the pack - http://www.nzxt.com/uploads/downloads/manuals/manual_iu01_english.pdf

7sbvuf-6.png

#13 Bradner

Bradner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:56 PM

Perfect. Thank you very much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users