Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen after dc jack replacement.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 darkluis12

darkluis12

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:49 PM

My laptop gategay mx6941 was giving me problems with the dc jack, so I decided tl fix it. I took the entire laptop apart, cleaned the dc jack and I had to weld it again with the motherboard because the part that connected them was broken. I put all the parts together again and now it charges fine, but when I turn the pc after it loads the bios, right before it starts to load windows 7 the screen just stays black.

I tested the RAM in other computer and it still works fine. I tried several hard drives so that is not the problem.

any ideas of why it does not get to load an OS?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,885 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:37 PM

Without a display, you can't tell if it completes loading.  Try connecting an external monitor to it, if it has a good display, then the display element is failing or has a loose connection somewhere, on the MOBO, element or the ribbon cable between.

#3 darkluis12

darkluis12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:46 PM

Thank you for your response.

The screen is connected, I can see how it passes the bios screen, and I can even access the bios settings and boot sequence, but right before it has to load windows the screen just stays black. I just tested it again with the laptop screen, a desktop monitor, and a tv and I am experiencing the same problem o. All of them.

Edited by darkluis12, 01 February 2014 - 11:46 PM.

#4 ProfessorCPU

ProfessorCPU

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:53 AM

Hmmm... maybe the video card needs to be reflowed?  Or the onboard chipset.  I have a feeling it's only coincidence that the issue started after you soldered the power connector.  It's sort of odd you are able to get to the bios though.

Are you hearing windows boot into startup?

Also... can you boot into anything else?  Like a LiveXP Disk or some sort of boot disk?

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:06 AM

Just to add a suggestion, try removing the battery pack and press the power button for atleast 20 seconds. If possible also, try reseatting the hard drive and or check the pins just in case the previous did not worked. The next step would be ProfessorCPU's suggestions as the former is a quicker solution process. :)

Tekken

#6 darkluis12

darkluis12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:22 AM

Thank you for all the suggestions.

I hold the power button for more than 20 secs without the battery pack then I try booting from the internal hard drive but nothing, then I tried booting with ubuntu from an external hard drive, then debian from a flash drive, and finally kali from a live cd. I experienced the same black screen on all the tries.
Also I do not see or hear anything after the bios screen, it just black, but I can hear the fan working though.

How can I reflow the video card or the onboard chipset?

Also is it possible that at the moment of welding the dc jack and the motherboard some surrounding parts could get damaged and are preventing to start the OS?

#7 darkluis12

darkluis12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:01 PM

I believe the problem was on the welding, maybe I didn't do it right. I will call it death and get a new motherboard.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:33 PM

Can you boot to safemode or have you tried without the battery or with power adapter only?

Tekken

#9 darkluis12

darkluis12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:40 PM

everything I try I do it first with the charger only, then with the battery pack, then with both. If I click f8 to go to the screen to select safe mode, instead of showing me the screen it just stays black. One thing I notice is that if I click a key on the keyboard while the screen is black it makes a beep sound.

Thanks

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:59 PM

Sorry to hear that most suggestions have been taken up as the only solution that comes to this point is taking it to a repair shop for a gpu reflow.

Tekken

#11 darkluis12

darkluis12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:47 AM

well it is not my laptop I actually work at one repair shop but no one in here knows how to do a gpu or cpu reflow so I am just going to get a new board to get the computer back to the customer, and then I will read some tutorials to fix this board myself with a little bit more time. But than you all for the suggestions.

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:55 AM

Not full proof on reflow or reballing the gpu chip but check youtube for visual steps such as this

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users