Win XP Home SP3
HP Photosmart C4480 printer/scanner, wired connection
Have a Belarc printout current 11/11/13
1. Approx 2-3 weeks ago began seeing random HP Solution pop-ups stating what to do if I were seeing smudges on copies. (Was not having that problem. Replaced 2 ink cartridges (HP) within last month.) I would close out these pop-ups and go on with no problems.
2. Saw a couple of update progress bars last week that appeared to be from iTunes. Thought that might be causing the odd HP Solution pop-ups, so I uninstalled iTunes. (I think I only installed it in order to view or listen to some specific thing once or twice a long time ago.)
3. Began seeing pop-ups stating a new device had been plugged in, and my anti-virus (Vipre) wanted to scan it. (No new device plugged in.) Eventually some text indicated the new device was "another printer," actually the same as what I have.
4. During all this printer/scanner worked fine.
5. 1/31/14 began seeing pop-ups reporting the computer could not complete the installation of the printer. ("Fatal error during installation.")
5. Control panel>printers showed a 2nd printer, and at one point showed it as the default printer, all while I was continuing to get the above "Fatal error .... " notices. I succeeded in making the correct printer the default printer and deleting the 2nd icon, but even though a doc showed up in the correct printer's queue, it would not print.
6. Online I found other people have had similar problems (as in above #5). One suggestion helpful to several was to update the HP Solutions Center. Tried that. Installation went fine until the last 2%, and then would hang. Others had tried uninstalling/reinstalling printer, but this did not solve the problem.
7. My Computer>System Prop>Hardware>Device Mgr shows 3 printers, but I could find no info as to when my computer thinks they were installed. The following is an exact copy of the wording found there:
IEEE 1284.4 Compatible printers
HP Photosmart C4400 series (DOT 4PRT)
Photosmart C4400 (DOT4PRINT)
IEEE 1284.4 devices
HP Photosmart C4400 series (DOT4)
In the process of finding the above info., I discovered I had, sometime ago, allowed Remote Assistance because I thought I was going to need it for some other (now forgotten) problem, and apparently failed to disallow it. Today I read that leaving it checked opened my firewall ports! I unchecked it today, 2/1/14.
8. 2/1/14 Ran Malwarebytes No infection My Vipre is totally up to date - Anti-virus and firewall. (Turned both off to run Malwarebytes but turned on again.)
9. Control Panel>Printers shows the 2 printer icons: The one on the left is the correct one. Default is checked. It says "HP Photosmart C4400 Series," and under that "(copy 1)." The one on the right no longer has the default check, and is labeled "HP Photosmart C4400 Series." Below that there is a "0," and below that, "Ready."
10 The only other current issue I know about with this computer has to do with Firefox and Flash Player. About 6 months ago I switched to Firefox from IE8. When Flash Player wanted to install an update, there was a problem I can't exactly recall. I didn't have time to mess with it at the time, but did download and save some explanations I could go back to later. I tried uninstalling the Flash Player, but there is some known problem with then not being able to reinstall Flash Player onto Firefox until one does some other procedure.
11. Within the last month I have plugged in and used a new backup HD (WD My Passport Ultra) with no issues, a flashdrive (but I've used it a couple of times before maybe 6 months ago with no problems), and used my DVD to download some photos to the computer and thence to the flashdrive.
I'm aiming for a new computer ....... hopefully one with Win 7 or I might even throw in the towel and go back to Apple! ......... later this year, but right now I really need this one to be able to print!