Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Hard Drives

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bob3491

Bob3491

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 11 May 2006 - 12:34 AM

My computer uses XP Home Edition which came preloaded. My previous computer used ME which also came preloaded. My previous computer suffered from a lightning strike and died. I recently put the old hard drive (with WinME) into my WinXP computer. The computer recognizes the hard drive as Drive F but I don't know how to start it up. I can access the programs by going to My Computer and clicking on Drive F.

I would like to use one of the programs (MGI PhotoSuite III SE Version 3.0.0.601) from the old hard drive but it won't launch; the error says: Missing file MGIIpl2.dll. I know the file is in the system folder but I suspect that the program's path is not correct. I can't reinstall the program as it was preloaded. The backup file contains a file containing the original programs but I'm afraid to open it because it was originally Drive C and I don't want it to accidentally overwrite WinXP.

One suggestion I read on a different site was to unplug Drive 1 and let the 2nd hard drive boot into ME. I currently have the second drive's jumper on Slave. Would I have to move the jumper to Master before booting it up?

Once it boots up - if it does - could I then restore the original programs?

Any help would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RichieP

RichieP

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 11 May 2006 - 02:43 AM

As your computer starts up, go into BIOS, usually by pressing F2 or Del.

Change the boot order of the hard drives so it boots to ME first, eg from IDE0 to IDE1.

This won't necessarily help however. The program was installed to run from C: and it will still be looking for files on C:

#3 Bob3491

Bob3491
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 10:08 AM

Thanks for the suggestion; I'll try setting the bios, at least that could get me in to the drive. What do you think about disconnecting the ide connection and booting without drive 1. Would the computer think that the 2nd drive is C and allow me to re-install the factory settings? I'm thinking that it would. Once I get the re-install done I could turn it off and reconnect drive 1 and reboot.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

#4 Bob3491

Bob3491
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 11:45 AM

Changing the boot order in the bios didn't work...Invalid System Disk. Replace disk and press any key. Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter.

#5 MagicMike

MagicMike

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 02:45 PM

What do you think about disconnecting the ide connection and booting without drive 1.

Bob3491... You idea about unhooking drive 1 should work but you need to check the jumpers on the drive.
If it is set to slave you may get the "Invalid system disk" error. If it does boot the 2nd drive will become drive C untill you hook the 1st one back up.

#6 Bob3491

Bob3491
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 08:31 PM

Thanks Mike, I'll give it a try later tonight. I thought maybe the slave position would cause a problem.

#7 MagicMike

MagicMike

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 02:18 PM

You're welcome, I hope it works for you.

#8 Bob3491

Bob3491
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 02:19 PM

[font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial]

Well guys, I think I'm going to give up. None of the suggestions worked; I still get a system disk error. I'm guessing that information inside of the XP computer (perhaps hidden) is looking for the hard drive that came with the computer.

I tried unhooking drive 1 and moving the jumper on drive 2 to master; got the system disk error. Went into the bios and checked a few other things; IDE read the correct drive (drive 2) and drive 1 had disappeared. PnP/PCI Configuration had an interesting thing - Reset Configuration Data. This item had a default of (disabled) and it said to enable if you've installed a new add-0n and it's caused such a serious conflict that OS can't boot. I enabled it and got the same result - invalid system disk.

I think I will close this topic for now (if I can figure out how to do that). Thanks for all your support

#9 MagicMike

MagicMike

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 09:32 AM

Bob do you know what brand the 2nd drive is? Different brands require different jumper settings.
For example if the drive is a Western Digital and you set it to Master most of the time it will not boot because it is looking for a slave that is not there. On the other hand a Maxtor will boot because the master jumper is Master/Single.
To save a lot of guess work you could move the jumper to the CS (cable select) position. In this case the master or slave is determined by the position of the drive in the cable connection. Master is the very end position and slave is the middle connector on the data ribbon cable.

As long as you didn't convert the drive to NTFS it should boot but since it came from a different machine it will start detecting all the new hardware for this machine and you will probably have to install some drivers for everything to work properly.

#10 Bob3491

Bob3491
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 06:40 PM

To Magic Mike

The 2nd Hard Drive is a Western Digital. I will move the jumper to another position; I'm not sure if it has a cable select spot; the label on the top should tell me what the positions are; that's where I found the locations for Master and Slave.

I won't be able to get to it tonight as I'm working on other stuff; perhaps tomorrow.

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users