Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

backups

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bruinator

bruinator

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:49 PM

Just curious, how often do you backup your pc's?  thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:56 PM

that quite the question ,I would think its different for everyone ,biggest factor would be how often you create something new that needs to be backed up.

for me I don't create much important  personal data ,so I rarely backup my computer .

I think depending what data you created and how often ,it maybe necessary to backup daily ,or weekly ,or monthly

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:00 PM

I do it at the install after I clean off the junk, that the OEM loaded up on the machine from the factory.  Then I will do it if I do a Service pack upgrade, or hardware upgrade.  All of my backups are done with Clonezilla on a USB Pen drive, with the backups going on my NAS.

As for documents, they get stored on a family owned Owncloud server, and also a copy on my personal box.com account, and a local copy on my NAS in my home.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:56 PM

When I upgrade my OS or data hard drive.  I don't have anything that is so important that I would be upset if I lost it.  Most of my drives store either copies or conversions of my digital media.  So, I have the original and would just have to rip it again.  I've got a couple of copies of my music and pictures on various hard drives.  These days most of my music purchases are online and I just have to download them again.

That all said, I'm not going to be sending a drive out for recovery or come here for advice if one of my drives goes south, I'll replace and reload or rerip.

#5 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:49 PM

It varies a lot by what is going on.  Always before major Windows updates, all BIOS updates, loading new software without much of a track record, significant changes to any personal data on my machine and it's time to runa a backup with Acronis.  Track record with Acronis and Win 7 has been perfect so far.

Now I am running Win 8 and Win 8.1 and am scared to death to do the 1st recovery because it is so easy to lose or screw up your data.  The safe way to do this when you get a new machine very early on do a backup and then recovery it.  If everything seems perfect load additional software and personal data then repeat with a backup and recovery.  If everything is cool -fabulous, your pretty safe if you keep backups current.  I have done dailys, and weekly backups, but usually no more than a week.  Run them at night while you snooze.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:29 AM

How often and what you back-up is a very personal decision and the answer is heavily dependant on how critical any data is to you. A large local haulage company had a fire a few years ago which destroyed their offices and main warehouse. They were out of action for less than 24 hours - the time it took to erect some temporary accomodation and set up computers etc. because they had full back-ups of everything.

So - mission critical stuff, back up everyday. Anything else - it's up to you.

I try to back up my workfile - word processing, accounts, arts and crafts, graphics etc. - anywhere between once a week and once a month to a second hard drive. My  photos are nearly all backed up onto DVDs because I am heavily involved in photography, both my own and work my wife and I do for an on-line project. All the project work is backed up across two computers and a USB drive until it is catalogued, then it is transferred to DVDs which get sent to my organiser and a copy for me. My own photos are all on one hard drive, divided into chunks of about 4 to 4.5Gb - which fits on a DVD. When I get to the limit for a DVD they get burnt to one and I start a new folder of images.

It's entirely up to you - and what you feel is valuable

Chris Cosgrove

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:36 AM

and in case of fire ,storage of the media your data is on is  very important too,

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users