Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Image.dd file of a corrupted EXternal HD , looking to mount/recover ...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 feelinmighty

feelinmighty

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:39 PM

I have a 500gb external hard drive that failed to be recognized and the files are corrupted . I have created a raw image of the entire drive and saved it as a image.dd file onto an different external hard drive. I know that the raw image is just a mirror of the original corrupted drive. But now what is the next best step to recovery a much data as I can ? Any concrete steps would be greatly appreciated

Right now I have a laptop that runs on vista and a PC that is Windows 7. The image.dd file is on an external Hard drive,   so I can use either computer to attempt a recovery. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:18 PM

Osfmount can mount a dd image. If you cannot see the data after mounting the image, you should be able to use PhotoRec to scan the mounted image for any files you need to recover. 

http://www.ghacks.net/2011/03/24/mount-disk-images-with-osfmount/

#3 feelinmighty

feelinmighty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:45 PM

I did use osfmount and when I mounted it and tried to access the drive it said it was "not accessible.   The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"

I am using photorec as we speak but the files its recovering seem to be only bits and pieces in folders named  recup_dir1, recup_dir2, recup_dir3 etc   .  Is this just part of the process?? It says that photo_rec still has several hours to run before its complete.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:43 PM

It is normal for those named sub-directores.

Number of recovered files is updated in real time.

• During pass 0, PhotoRec searches the first 10 files to determine the blocksize.
  • During pass 1 and later, files are recovered including some fragmented files.

Recovered files are written in recup_dir.1, recup_dir.2... sub-directories. It's possible to access the files even if the recovery is not finished.

#5 feelinmighty

feelinmighty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:47 PM

It is normal for those named sub-directores.

Number of recovered files is updated in real time.

• During pass 0, PhotoRec searches the first 10 files to determine the blocksize.
  • During pass 1 and later, files are recovered including some fragmented files.

Recovered files are written in recup_dir.1, recup_dir.2... sub-directories. It's possible to access the files even if the recovery is not finished.

Are these files going to become complete at some point? Becasue all the files that have been recovered are split into tiny files , Im not recognizing anything

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:23 PM

You should have some files already unless the hard drive was highly corrupted or damaged. You may want to try Minitools Power Data recovery. You would want to do the Damaged Partition option.  It will let you recover 1GB for free to see if the program will work. Did you do a dd write or a dd-rescue which can try and recover bad sectors by doing multiple reads. Do you still have access to the damaged drive?

http://www.powerdatarecovery.com/

#7 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,943 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:54 PM

Hi

Have you tried running TestDisk on the image?

That may allow you to repair it and mount it with OSFMount.

-=[ James ]=-

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:00 PM

James, TestDisk is a very good idea I forgot about. I would add that the OP can make a copy of his dd image leaving the original alone.

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 February 2014 - 10:01 PM.

#9 feelinmighty

feelinmighty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:20 PM

James, TestDisk is a very good idea I forgot about. I would add that the OP can make a copy of his dd image leaving the original alone.

Yes, I used testdisk to make the image.dd file that Im currently trying  to recover using photo_rec.  .    I attempted to use osfmount . I was sure to "uncheck" the read-only box . But when I clicked on the mounted drive it said G:\ is not accessible The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

#10 feelinmighty

feelinmighty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:22 PM

Hi

Have you tried running TestDisk on the image?

That may allow you to repair it and mount it with OSFMount.

-=[ James ]=-

I am currently running photo_rec on the image, its yielding recovered fles but the files have odd names like fffsgdg  and are only tiny pieces of mpegs , mp3s . etc

Edited by feelinmighty, 01 February 2014 - 10:22 PM.

#11 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,943 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:40 PM

I never used TestDisk to make an image before. I use GNU ddrescue. What happened when you attempted to repair the image with TestDisk?

In case you didn't know, you don't need to mount it to repair it.

testdisk_win.exe image.dd

on a command line will work.

-=[ James ]=-

#12 feelinmighty

feelinmighty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:03 AM

I never used TestDisk to make an image before. I use GNU ddrescue. What happened when you attempted to repair the image with TestDisk?

In case you didn't know, you don't need to mount it to repair it.

testdisk_win.exe image.dd

on a command line will work.

-=[ James ]=-

So I just open comand prompt and type "  testdisk_win.exe image.dd  "    ?  

#13 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,943 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:07 AM

Provided that testdisk_win.exe and image.dd are in the same directory and you are executing the command from that directory. Otherwise, you need the paths in front of them like

c:\testdisk\testdisk_win.exe d:\images\image.dd

or whatever yours is.

-=[ James ]=-

#14 feelinmighty

feelinmighty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:13 AM

Provided that testdisk_win.exe and image.dd are in the same directory and you are executing the command from that directory. Otherwise, you need the paths in front of them like

c:\testdisk\testdisk_win.exe d:\images\image.dd

or whatever yours is.

-=[ James ]=-

Ok Ill have to try that . But currently photo_rec is running an extractions of all the files its found on the image.dd file.  It says it has 20 hrs left .    Whats worried me is that in the 6 hrs its been running, it just created like 160 folders named  recup_dir1, recup_dir2, recup_dir3 etc    and inside these folders are several tiny 5kb files.    Im not sure if I have to wait for the entire process to finish, buts whats been recovered so far isnt recognizable

Edited by feelinmighty, 02 February 2014 - 12:13 AM.

#15 karakora

karakora

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 22 March 2015 - 04:40 PM

did you get your files back 

feelinmighty

if you did please i need your help because i have the same problem you have

sorry for my bad eng. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic