Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows xp home locked in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 billyboy2674

billyboy2674

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:01 AM

One of my desktops has the following problem: all of a sudden and out of the blue xp wouldn't load and I was stuck with an ntldr is missing sign. Not knowing the admin password wouldn't let me fix the problem with the xp disk recovery console so I decided to download xp again on a new partition. The xp is there alright, but locked up in safe mode out of which I 've not been able to escape no matter what I do. The screen resolution shows up as being incredibly low and I have tried to set it up in high resolution but through device manager it shows up as the vg display driver missing, which I've no idea if that's true or just a consequence of it being in safe mode, out of which I cannot exit.
I've tried to load the display driver again off some disks but haver no idea which of those discs has the vg display driver on it.
Is my computer dead, should I bury it, and then move out of the country or can someone tell me how to do the Lazarus gig on it?
Thanks in advance for any possible.

More Info: Computer is an ASUS.
It has three partitions with xp on them but I have no idea how to access them, and plus if I do, one will probably show the ntldr is missing message anyway. Does anyone know how I can get out of safe mode in my latest windows xp?
Please let me know if I'm not articulating my problem clearly or if I need to provide any additional information.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:01 AM

Hi, Are You sure it is stuck in Safe Mode. In Safe Mode on XP the words "Safe Mode" will be in the four corners of the desktop.

The reason I ask that is Low resolution can also be caused by Missing Video Drivers.

Can You post a screen shot of the Device manager?

Thank You

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 billyboy2674

billyboy2674
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:47 AM

Thanks Roger for the reply.

Yes I'm sure it's in safe mode( says so on screen) and posting a screenshot of the device manager would require me to use that desktop instead of this one which is no problem except the internet access on that one is very unstable because of the low screen resolution that I cannot get above 4(whatever) unless I could make a screenshot sent it to my email and from there on this computer send it to this forum, I'd have to check. But to answer your question, yes I'm sure it's on safe mode.

Edited by billyboy2674, 01 February 2014 - 11:49 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,015 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:30 PM

Can you access safe mode with command prompt when you press F8 during reboot?

#5 billyboy2674

billyboy2674
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:20 AM

With command prompt, anything I do will take me to safe mode.

Last known configuration, log in normally etc, all will take me to safe mode.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:02 AM

Hi

If you are stuck in safe mode, please try the below steps.

1. Open RUN Dialogue by pressing Win Key + R together.

2. Enter Msconfig in it and System Configuration Utility will open up.

3. Navigate to the Boot.ini  tab and check whether the option /SAFEBOOT under Boot Options is tuck marked.

Like this :

msconfig-boot.png

If yes, deselect it and press the Apply button.

msconfig_boot_ini.jpg

Now reboot the system.

#7 billyboy2674

billyboy2674
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:14 AM

Thx for tip tried it four times and I'm still stuck in safe mode.

#8 billyboy2674

billyboy2674
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:19 AM

Model number(serial)TO02E501096
model CSTower
xp disc did come with computer.
reinstalled xp in a new partition is what I meant, used wrong word..I've the disc that came with computer. I've no idea how to reformat the hard drive.

progress.gif

Edited by billyboy2674, 02 February 2014 - 08:19 AM.

#9 billyboy2674

billyboy2674
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:40 AM

Found a partition that isn't in safe mode just now.

Went to device manager to take pics of the device manager screen which I couldn't load on this other desktop with vista on it cause the os wouldn't recognize the camera somehow. What it shows is question marks over Other devices,mutimedia audio controller and video controller(vga compatible). None of the other sectors of device manager show any question marks on them. Desktop screen resolution is at 4 bits and cannot be set higher.

Edited by billyboy2674, 02 February 2014 - 10:41 AM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,015 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:43 AM

Follow the steps that davi921 posted in this thread.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/221598/stuck-in-safe-mode-windows-xp/

You will show more than one install so pick the one you need.

Here is good article on this xp repair

http://icrontic.com/article/repair_windows_xp

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:40 PM

Found a partition that isn't in safe mode just now.

Went to device manager to take pics of the device manager screen which I couldn't load on this other desktop with vista on it cause the os wouldn't recognize the camera somehow. What it shows is question marks over Other devices,mutimedia audio controller and video controller(vga compatible). None of the other sectors of device manager show any question marks on them. Desktop screen resolution is at 4 bits and cannot be set higher.

The video is stuck at 4 bits due to no driver. The same with other hardware with Question marks.

Did the computer come with a driver disk?

I do not find anything under CSTower. Are You sure it is a ASUS computer or is it a ASUS motherboard?

Can You post the complete model? Look inside the case at the Motherboard or look at the Motherboard manual for the motherboard model. It is usually between the slots on the motherboard.

What You seem to have is a XP install with no drivers. Not unusual, You just need to load them to have sound, Better video etc. Windows does not drivers for all hardware that is used.

Good Luck

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#12 billyboy2674

billyboy2674
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:47 PM

ASUS Motherboard model: P4GE-MX

PC was built as a home studio and bought off Sweetwater.

After a couple of years I began using it for the web.

It came with lots of discs including the asus motherboard disc but I've no idea in what disc the video drivers are.

Thanks for the replies.

There's a motherboard P4GE-MX motherboard disc that came with it but I don't know if those drivers needed are on the disc so I dare not run it and have no idea how to install them anyway on the xp drive that's new.

Edited by billyboy2674, 02 February 2014 - 02:51 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,015 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:07 PM

Here is the driver support page for your motherboard.

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=P4GE-MX&os=17

#14 billyboy2674

billyboy2674
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:20 PM

Will see if I can download that graphics driver with the limited internet access I have on that desktop then come back and let you all know how it went.

Heading off to try and do that now and thanks again.

#15 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:48 PM

The Asus disk has the drivers that current at that time. If You are using the built-in video then that ASUS disk will have that driver as well as chipset, audio, ethernet, Video, etc.

If You are using a add-on video card then there is most likely a Nvidia or ATI (AMD) driver disk for it.

You may also have a disk for DVD player or CD/DVD burning software too.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users