Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some laptop guidance please

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bradleyheathhays

bradleyheathhays

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:30 AM

Have done a lot of research looking for a new laptop and I'm having problems finding something that doesn't have at least one fatal flaw.  So although I'm not here a lot I'm writing in to see what kind of advice I can get.

Here's what I'm looking for:

- Thinkpad style input (which pretty much limits me to a thinkpad I'm guessing)
- Intel processor
- 500GB HDD
- 15.6" screen
- Wifi
- separate numeric keypad
- Windows 7 (must)
- USB 3.0 (negotiable)
- VGA output (negotiable)
- HDMI output (negotiable)
- around $500 (but not $600)
- rating at high 3 stars or above
- would prefer new but will go w/ a manf refurb if that's what it takes to get everything in this price range
- processor speed in the 2 GHz range if possible
- some kind of warranty

I'm not a gamer so the graphics card isn't that important.  A good screen res would be nice but again not that high on the priority list.  Would like to stay away from a weak case.

So but here's the thing...I can't tell which but either by way of addiction or if simply through my own inability to adapt to something different I've become hooked on the Thinkpad trackpoint input device (the red dot) as well as the two separate dedicated mouse buttons at the top of the touchpad.  I've tried to adapt to newer style touchpads but something about them will always be ambiguous and awkward for me.  I know it's putting a huge limitation on this laptop hunt of mine but I know in the long run if I stick to a thinkpad, or a computer with a similar input button (of which I know none) I'll be overall much happier with the interface.

So there's that.

After a lot of reading I was all set on getting a manf refurbd Lenovo E530 for $509 on ebay until I read reviews that the touchpad itself is 'total junk.'  Big disappointment there because spec wise it was everything I was looking for.

I've checked lots on Amazon, Best Buy, Tiger Direct and the New Egg websites, and after finding nothing more than this last one it seems now that I've exhausted all the resources I'm aware of.  So if anyone has any idea at all on where I should look to make this next computer of mine happen I'm all ears.  Been wondering if there's something maybe like a well known reliable computer builder somewhere, maybe on ebay, who does build to spec orders.

Quick question:  I've seen some machines listed as Win 7 by way of something like a downgrade option from Win 8, or something like that.  I'm guessing that means it arrives appearing as Win 8 but you can do some sort of swap where you probably get online and they shoot you Win 7 whereby you install.  However it works, do all Win 8 machines have the ability to downgrade to Win 7?

Thanks for the help.

Edited by bradleyheathhays, 01 February 2014 - 09:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:51 AM

Hi, you might want to look at business grade laptops from Toshiba or HP as they designed to be solid and rugged like the Thinkpad laptops although price might be a issue as they can be quite pricey and Windows 8 can be downgraded to Windows 7 assuming you have the appropriate media. I did find a laptop that fits your price but i'm not sure  if you will be satisfied with the touch pad.

HP ProBook 450 G1

- Thinkpad style input (which pretty much limits me to a thinkpad I'm guessing) No
- Intel processor Yes

- 500GB HDD Yes
- 15.6" screen Yes
- Wifi Yes
- separate numeric keypad Yes
- Windows 7 (must) Yes
- USB 3.0 (negotiable) Yes
- VGA output (negotiable) Yes
- HDMI output (negotiable) Yes
- around $500 (but not $600) Yes
- rating at high 3 stars or above Yes
- would prefer new but will go w/ a manf refurb if that's what it takes to get everything in this price range Yes, New
- processor speed in the 2 GHz range if possible Yes
- some kind of warranty Yes

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:27 PM

I think you do quite well spending a little less, you need to do some shopping. 

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:47 PM

I think you do quite well spending a little less, you need to do some shopping. 

While looking for the laptop i found, there was one ProBook which was around the lower $500 mark but it had last gen specs so i decided why not get the newer model which is still in the budget :)

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:04 AM

Ah case closed enjoy your new toy!

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:54 PM

You forgot about the Toshiba Tecra; the A50 looks quite good; I mean, I was browsing the Toshiba web site last night, because I'm crazy about Toshiba and del, for that matter, but their business laptops are pretty good from the looks of them.  I've never owned one, though I did have a Portege for years, and I loved that thing

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:01 AM

You forgot about the Toshiba Tecra; the A50 looks quite good; I mean, I was browsing the Toshiba web site last night, because I'm crazy about Toshiba and del, for that matter, but their business laptops are pretty good from the looks of them.  I've never owned one, though I did have a Portege for years, and I loved that thing

Yes they are another solid option as i have personally used a Tecra that has lasted for about 5 years without breaking down and still works despite it being replaced but price might be an issue depending on the retailer. 

>Michael 

#8 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:44 AM

Where else can you get Toshiba Tecra models other than from Toshiba themselves?  I was looking around for one just for the hell of it, and I certainly didn't find anything.  Not that I was like, going to buy one or anything. 

#9 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:15 AM

Where else can you get Toshiba Tecra models other than from Toshiba themselves?  I was looking around for one just for the hell of it, and I certainly didn't find anything.  Not that I was like, going to buy one or anything. 

Well over here in Australia, retailers only sell very few Tecra models but some computer stores do have a wide variety of Tecra models. 

>Michael 

#10 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:28 PM

Interesting.  I'll have to look. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users