Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard switch.

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Bradner

Bradner

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:34 AM

Hallo. I would like to ask if i change my motherboard do i have to uninstall the drivers of my old motherboard first?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:57 AM

Unless you use the exact same board you will need to do everything over, you need to back up everything you want to save and reinstall the OS using another board.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Bradner

Bradner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:18 AM

I will use the same pc and the same windows 7 64bit but no i will not use the same motherboard. So do I have to reinstall the windows?

Edited by Bradner, 01 February 2014 - 10:22 AM.

#4 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:33 AM

If you are using the same HDD then probably not however you will have to call Microsoft to have your Windows activated as your new board won't recognize your product key.

#5 Bradner

Bradner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:39 AM

I will use the same parts except the new motherboard.

Edited by Bradner, 01 February 2014 - 10:52 AM.

#6 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:40 AM

Windows keys are linked to your hardware ID, changing the motherboard changes your hardware ID wich means your current windows instalation won't be activated unless it's a cracked version, that's why King suggested you call windows and ask them what you need to do.

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:09 PM

Moving a hard drive with Windows already installed to a new motherboard without reinstalling the operating system is not recommended.

If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer you may not be able to start Windows. This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.

Additionally, moving a hard drive to a new motherboard may not exhibit any errors until you install new IDE drivers. This is because each chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you change your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error.

The following is from Microsoft Support.

Q. Can a PC with an OEM Windows operating system have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A. Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty.

Edited by dc3, 01 February 2014 - 12:11 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:40 PM

Unless you use the exact same board you will need to do everything over, you need to back up everything you want to save and reinstall the OS using another board.

Will not work with the backup.  They will have to do a re-activation.  That is if they are able to do so.  Microsoft has been blacking out a lot of keys lately for Windows 7.  They are only allowing now, just original install, not moved installs, where you load it on one machine, that machine dies, and then you load the OS on the new one.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:43 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Why do you want to change the motherboard?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 01 February 2014 - 12:43 PM.

#10 Bradner

Bradner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:15 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Why do you want to change the motherboard?

The motherboard now is gigabyte B75M-D3H it is a micro ATX and i want to upgrade it to a bigger one! Thats the reason of upgrade.

So for safety it is recommended to re-install Windows!

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:19 PM

If this is a OEM computer with the mini ATX form factor motherboard you may not have enough room to install a larger board.

What are you doing that needs a larger board?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 Bradner

Bradner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

I Have a bigger case and there is enough space for ATX motheboards. Generally a m-atx lacks of space that i need it. Also lacks of usb slots and many others! 

#13 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

Will not work with the backup.  They will have to do a re-activation.  That is if they are able to do so.  Microsoft has been blacking out a lot of keys lately for Windows 7.  They are only allowing now, just original install, not moved installs, where you load it on one machine, that machine dies, and then you load the OS on the new one.

Of course not, notice I said back up what you want to save.

#14 Bradner

Bradner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:38 PM

Ok when i do this upgrade i will freshly install the Windows again.

#15 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:43 PM

Ok when i do this upgrade i will freshly install the Windows again.

Pretty much what I said, you can not get away without an OS reinstall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users