Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[Australia] Quickbooks via VPN

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ihearyou

ihearyou

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:05 AM

Hi All,

Just want to get your opinions on running Quickbooks through a VPN.

As you would know if you live in Australia is that our internet sucks compared to the rest of the world.

Quickbooks support does not support it via a VPN for obvious reasons.

Pretty much the scenario is that Office 2 needs access to Office one's Quickbooks files. Downstream and upstream on both ends are 10mb down via 1mb up.

My opinion on this is that it will be very slow and trying to open a 400mb file over a VPN of such a poor speed will be disastrous. I am all not for it though i just wanted opinions to support my argument.

Better alternatives would be either Quickbooks in the cloud which is now available or the more expensive option a Terminal Server which uses remote into and use Quickbooks.

Thanks all

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:10 PM

Do you have a server? We use it on a server and then create a remote app with terminal services. If you dont have it on a server, then just allow RDP (remote desktop) connections on the computer its installed on mate. We manage fine on a 2 meg pipe.

#3 ihearyou

ihearyou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:05 AM

Do you have a server? We use it on a server and then create a remote app with terminal services. If you dont have it on a server, then just allow RDP (remote desktop) connections on the computer its installed on mate. We manage fine on a 2 meg pipe.

Hi Johnny,

Yes we do have a Terminal server. I just wanted to get a few opinion on the setup i suggested above as i feel it's a ridiculous idea to even think about running Quickbooks via a VPN. 

Regards.

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:06 PM

Unless you can get a faster pipe from the ISP's, using VPN is not going to work.  Even with RDP or Teamviewer, it is really going to be a brick wall that you are going to keep running into.  See the following as an example.  It may give you some ideas to work with, due to your situation.  http://www.vedivi.com/quickbooks/blog/how-to-use-quickbooks-remotely-over-the-internet.html

I think that the best option would be Quickbooks online, not two users trying to keep information in sync, over two slow connections.

#5 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

Our remote App works just fine, if they need the files the next day sort of thing then just setup a DFS namespace and replicate the data over night. Our bandwidth is so small i cannot even copy large files during productino time because it will bring the other branch users to dialup speed so i have to replicate overnight with throtelling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users