Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recover non booting system

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 xendistar

xendistar

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:37 AM

I have an XP PC that wont boot (corrupt or missing files), I don't have the original install CD but I do have a later XP CD (XP Pro with SP3), I believe the XP Pro that is installed on the PC does not have any SP pack installed (it does not have access to the outside world) can I use the XP with SP3 disk?

Failing that I need to make some kind of boot disk in an attempt to get the PC going again, any idea?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:57 AM

Hi

It might be possible to repair your Windows using the XP Pro SP3 disc. But before attempt a repair, please post the exact message you are getting when trying to boot ( a clear screen shot will be better ).

#3 xendistar

xendistar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:35 AM

Unfortunately I wont be able to as I have not seen the PC only been told what the screen says. Where the PC is does not have any access to the outside world so I need be prepared for when I do see it on Monday. There are no backups or system restore option either (yes I know, this will be changing very soon).

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:51 AM

Hi

Since the issue is corrupted OS files, i would recommend starting by testing the hard drive. You can use Seagate Seatool to test any manufacturer's hard drive. 

http://www.seagate.com/in/en/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

If the test fails, you need to replace the hard drive. Otherwise the problem should be with the OS. In that case, i will boot in to the Recovery Console  ( use your XP SP3 Disc ) and run the CHKDSK command to fix file system errors.

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=95574

If that can't solve the issue, try rebuilding the boot configuration as described in the below article.

Rebuilding boot configuration file will fix error messages like "Invalid Boot.ini" , "Hal.dll corrupt" , "Ntoskrnl.exe corrupt" etc.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 01 February 2014 - 10:35 AM.

#5 xendistar

xendistar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:15 PM

Just an update, it turned out to be boot sector corruption due to a dead keyboard. The users continually turned the PC on and off via the main switch trying to make the keyboard work until they corrupted the boot sector.

Thanks for all the suggestions 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users