Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPU wont work in my system, works in friends, his gpu works in my system. confus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 xderpx

xderpx

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:18 AM

Hiya guys. I'm having a bit of an odd problem with my system and i'm stumped and woundering if you could help me out?

The problem is that my monitor will not detect any signal from my computers graphics card, but it will from the onboard motherboard graphics. It's like the GPU is not initualizing the display
If i put my GPU into a friends computer it works flawlessly. Yet if i put his GPU in my computer it works flawlessly too. But my GPU in my system doesn't work.

I've tried: new psu, cleaning gpu thoroughly, different monitor cables, different monitors, resetting bios/cmos, reseating everything, different pcie port, change bios settings for init display only on auto or only if gpu is detected.

I'm stumped what's up with it since it works fine in my friends system but not mine, yet his card works fine in mine. Only thing that's recently changed is i moved country (UK to Australia) so i had to dissasemble the system and then reassemble it when i arrived. i packed it very well and it looked undamaged when i arrived. But had this problem since i arrived. I made sure to buy a new PSU from this country and ditched my old one.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Specs
Intel Core i7 2600k
GIGABYTE GA-Z68AP-D3
16GB G-Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 2133
Nvidia GTX 480
650W "VANTEC" VOLTRA VAN-VL650B (I'd tried with a
Antec True Power Truepower TP 750W too, same issue)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

First off, welcome to BC !

About the only thing you don't say in your post is whether or not your friend's graphic card is the same model as yours !  If it is, this is a truly weird problem.

From the fault finding you have done, there is  no suggestion of a hardware fault, therefore we must be looking at a software problem. You don't say you have done it, but have you tried uninstalling your nVidia drivers, including perhaps the use of something like the 'Revo Uninstaller' to get rid of any remnants, and then re-installing the latest drivers from nVidia ? You can get Revo from here :

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

and there is a free version available. Just remember, that if you decide to use Revo to track down fragments in the registry then only delete portions that are marked in BOLD, and if in doubt, DON'T !

Of course there is a quick and dirty fix to this problem - if you are happy with youur mate's card, just do a swap !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 xderpx

xderpx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:30 PM

Oh right woops.

His GPU is an Nvidia 660 TI. Mines a GTX 480

The fault is before the bios even begins to start up, or during it. So it cannot be a software problem.

#4 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:24 PM

Is this a new GPU or one that did work prior to this? It is possible that your onboard and your PCI drivers are conflicting. I would test Mr. Cosgrove's theory and see if it helps.

#5 xderpx

xderpx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:29 PM

It worked fully prior to moving.

I've tried reformatting, and even just booting into the bios with no hdd's connected. The problem remains even with no drives connected.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,123 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:10 PM

His card, although a different model, works in your computer; your card works in his - so the hardware is OK, as are the signal paths (or his wouldn't work in yours).

This doesn't leave a lot !  While I still think it would be worthwhile fully uninstalling the drivers for your card and re-installing them, about the only thing left is the power connectors on your card. As you have tried changing PSUs, almost certainly the power cables to the video card are good. That leaves the possibility that the receiving socket(s) on yours is slightly out of true  and is not correctly passing power from the cable from the PSU into the video card. Unlikely, but worth checking, which you should be able to do with a multi-meter, and a bit of care.

About the only thing left that I can think of for you to try is to have a look at nVidia's forums, FAQs and possibly even contact their service department. This is a fairly expensive video card and I would expect a reasonable level of after-sales support.

There is always the quick and dirty solution I mentioned, above !

Chris Cosgrove

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:56 AM

This is one of the strangest issues I have seen so far... I have an idea but it is just a guess (I am not an electrical engineer). It is possible that the gtx 480 makes use of a different pci-e slot pin out than the 660ti, if one of the traces to the pins needed to run the 480 is damaged somewhere on the main board this might cause a problem. It seems unlikely especially because you tried in multiple pci-e slots but this is my best guess. I believe replacing the main board would correct the problem, if you can find a different board to test with I would be interested in the results.

Here is a pinout for pci-e slot:http://thisko.tistory.com/entry/Pinout-PCI-Express-x16-Pinout

Notice that there are arrows pointing toward pcie x1, x4, x8, and x16. Maybe this is where the difference comes in.

EDIT: here is an interesting read from wiki on pci-e:

"The PCIe link between two devices can consist of anywhere from 1 to 32 lanes. In a multi-lane link, the packet data is striped across lanes, and peak data-throughput scales with the overall link width. The lane count is automatically negotiated during device initialization, and can be restricted by either endpoint. For example, a single-lane PCIe (×1) card can be inserted into a multi-lane slot (×4, ×8, etc.), and the initialization cycle auto-negotiates the highest mutually supported lane count. The link can dynamically down-configure the link to use fewer lanes, thus providing some measure of failure tolerance in the presence of bad or unreliable lanes."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

Edited by zingo156, 06 February 2014 - 10:02 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,240 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:07 AM

Curious if all your components are compatible, below checks all.

http://www.pc-specs.com/gpu/Nvidia/400_Series/GeForce_GTX_480/376/Compatible_Motherboards

Edited by OldPhil, 06 February 2014 - 04:20 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:20 AM

It seems the card should be compatible, it sounds like it was working before a move.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#10 xderpx

xderpx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:49 PM

This is one of the strangest issues I have seen so far... I have an idea but it is just a guess (I am not an electrical engineer). It is possible that the gtx 480 makes use of a different pci-e slot pin out than the 660ti, if one of the traces to the pins needed to run the 480 is damaged somewhere on the main board this might cause a problem. It seems unlikely especially because you tried in multiple pci-e slots but this is my best guess. I believe replacing the main board would correct the problem, if you can find a different board to test with I would be interested in the results.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

Thankyou for the long in depth reply. Hmm maybe it is my motherboard then seeing as the gpu works in my friends system. I'll order a new one and give it a go, i've never had good luck with my motherboards lasting more than 2-3 years, and this one is getting on 3 i think.

I had another look at the gpu and it looks like the 2nd to last pin has had a lot more rough contact than the other pins. Like if you shine it at just the right angle it looks much more used than the other pins and is reflective. not sure if its relavent though http://i.imgur.com/Eyj6CkJ.jpg the black is a reflection, not a burn or anything like that.

Edited by xderpx, 06 February 2014 - 06:53 PM.

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:05 PM

It is interesting there is an obvious wear on that pin only. It does not appear that would cause any problem but anything is possible. If you look at the motherboard and line that pin up, is there any thing obviously out of place in the slot? you tried more than 1 pci-e slot but if one was damged somehow or shorted out, it may have toasted a pci lane Let me know the results with a new main board.

One last thought, it is possible it may also be the cpu, see this page for a diagram: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/4

On that page you can see how the cpu relates to the main board and where the pcie lanes run. I guess I would start with the cheapest part first. Unless you know someone with a cpu that you could quickly try in your board. I am fairly certain it is either the main board or the cpu. I would have to lean a guess toward the mainboard.

#12 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,123 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

An excellent photo. Had either of you noticed that the end is missing off that pin - the second one from the end ?

While this should not necessarily be a problem in itself, I find myself wondering where the rest of this pin is !  It might be worth taking a long hard look at your PCI sockets to make sure it isn't floating around loose waiting for the opportunity to create a short circuit.

Best of luck, and please post back with the solution when you find it.

Chris Cosgrove

#13 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:08 PM

I think that pin may be short by design see this picture: http://www.google.com/imgres?biw=1920&bih=938&tbm=isch&tbnid=m01ffeBbniO7SM%3A&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dhgate.com%2Fproduct%2Fzotac-dx11-gtx480-1536-mb-ddr5-1-5g-512bit%2F99474934.html&docid=zJi3gnSZ1xzZnM&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fimage.dhgate.com%2Falbu_108870056_00-1.0x0%2Fzotac-dx11-gtx480-1536-mb-ddr5-1-5g-512bit.jpg&w=900&h=653&ei=lTH0UtiFFMblyAHmxoCoDw&zoom=1&ved=0CIUBEIQcMBE&iact=rc&dur=1142&page=1&start=0&ndsp=42

I found most had that specific pin cut in the same way.

Edited by zingo156, 06 February 2014 - 08:09 PM.

#14 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,123 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:33 PM

I bow to superior knowledge !

However xderpx's photo is of far higher quality than the one referenced on google.com.  I wonder why that pin should be made shorter - it's not as though it is a locating lug or anything.

Chris Cosgrove

#15 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

I am not sure why that pin is short, every time I saw a card that had that pin short I wondered but never looked into it. I do agree xderpx took a really good photo! Maybe he had a good macro lens?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users