Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 8 disaffection..

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 oldbod

oldbod

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:26 PM

After installing windows 8 upgrade on an HP Compaq dc 7700 small form factor pc, i decided that i didn't like windows 8 in any way!! So decided to go back to Vista pro and buy and install windows 7,only to find out that the installation COA does not match the original install, so now i intend to sell this unit and install windows 7 on a Gigabyte computer that i have,unless some person could tell me of a possible alternative. and also advise on a simple program to remove sensative info before selling.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:31 PM

There is nothing wrong if you run Windows 8 in Desktop mode.  Load either Classic Shell or Start8 on the Windows 8 machine, and it will behave, just like Windows 7.

#3 oldbod

oldbod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:38 PM

Many thanks,have tried in classic mode and still  dislike.

#4 pcunite

pcunite

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:33 PM

I understand, I think more don't like it than do. However, I love the improvements underneath. With ClassicShell and FileSearchEX I've found it to be fast at least.

#5 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:45 AM

After installing windows 8 upgrade on an HP Compaq dc 7700 small form factor pc, i decided that i didn't like Metro in any way!! So decided to go back to Vista pro and buy and install windows 7,only to find out that the installation COA does not match the original install, so now i intend to sell this unit and install windows 7 on a Gigabyte computer that i have,unless some person could tell me of a possible alternative. and also advise on a simple program to remove sensative info before selling.

There I fixed it for you.  The problem is not with Windows 8, it is with the Metro Interface.  Use Classic Shell or Start8 to keep 8.1 when you update to that version, instead of sticking with 8, so you have the original Windows 7 style desktop back.

Many thanks,have tried in classic mode and still  dislike.

There is something more psychological at play.  Everyone that I have talked to, once they install Classic Shell or Start8, have no problems with using Windows 8.x.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users