Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data Execution Prevention (explorer keeps crashing randomly)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:24 PM

At least once a day or more my explorer.exe crashes with the error "Data Execution Prevention - To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program.   Windows Explorer  [Close Message]"

explorer appears to continue running until you press the close message button, at which time explorer stops running (you can see the taskbar and desktop disappear) and then it automatically restarts itself (explorer.exe I mean, not the whole PC) and the taskbar and desktop come back.

It does this at random times. Although there is a slight bit of a trend: it seems to do it after you're finished doing something, so for example, you just moved a bunch of files around and then you closed windows explorer. Or when you close steam. Or when you click on the safely remove hardware icon in the system tray (it only did that once, every other time it doesn't). Other times it happens after you haven't been doing anything for a few moments (for example 7 seconds after exiting something).

Event Viewer says: "Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.5512, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x038e33ec."

A couple few years ago I got this PC with windows XP already installed on it (it was previously used in an office, and it appeared their IT department had formatted and reinstalled windows before selling me the machine) so I just went with it, I didn't format it again since I don't have the XP disc (but I do have legit XP, the PC has the key certificate sticker on it etc).

It has been doing this data execution prevention behaviour the entire time since I got it. I've cleaned the pc many times, it's completely clean and I know about every exe and service that runs on it. Recently I got a new motherboard (not to fix this) and it still does the same error.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:13 PM

You might have some kind of application conflict,but also you should check for malware,

ie run Malwarebytes in safemode as it can cause Data execution problems also.

You could disable DEP as a workaround.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/depexplorerexe.htm

#3 bludshot

bludshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:00 PM

Malwarebytes is clean. Also I have had this problem for a couple years, during which time I've done a ton of scans with a bunch of products, so, it's not malware unless its undetectable malware.

The best of my understanding is that some module or something (some 3rd party thing) is missing, hence why it says "faulting module unknown", or the module crashes or something so by the time DEP is reporting about it it's off so DEP says it's unknown? So presumably I can remove the reference to it somewhere and then this will stop happening. But I don't know where to start with that.

I'm not going to turn off DEP, I'd rather harmlessly (?) crash explorer once a day than open a security hole for viruses or whatever.

Sigh, I can't find answers online regarding this, or even a route to try to take...

#4 bludshot

bludshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:19 AM

Using ShellExView I have disabled a few shell extensions and it seems to *maybe* have stopped the crashes, but I'll know more for sure in a week or two.

The extensions I disabled are: eight adobe entries, some ulead one (I barely use that software anyway), SecuROM Context-Menu for Explorer (which based on google searches seems like a good candidate for the source of my crashes, however, it seems to have been added to the system more than a year after the crashes began, which suggests it wasn't the cause), some WMP burning thing, and a MagicISO thing that does seem to be added about the same date that the crashes began, so that could be it.

I'm not even going to bother re-enabling them to see which one causes it because.. who cares as long as I don't get the crashes anymore.

#5 bludshot

bludshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:26 PM

Disabling those things in ShellExView really did fix it. No more crashes!

#6 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:25 PM

Well done,glad you fixed it.

#7 bludshot

bludshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:45 PM

Well, now that you mention it, I still get these crashes now and then :|   But FAR less than before. Used to be daily, now it's weekly. Huge improvement. I'm not going to chase it down any further since my XP usage is about to go WAY down.

#8 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:15 PM

Thats what id do,it could be so many things,hardly worth the trouble to fix at this point.

Im turning my xp to a library nd music player for a while then prob a linux.onward...

#9 bludshot

bludshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:13 PM

I dual boot (well, I just change the boot drive in bios) to XP and newer windows, on the same machine. I will keep the XP drive forever, because I have some programs that only work over there - but I'll just disable network adapter on XP.

Now these crashes do seem to occur 25% of the times that I safely remove a USB thumb drive. Also they occur randomly at other times (but like I said, once or twice a week).

#10 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:36 PM

You could try reinstaling the usb stuff in device manager but then that cant be all of it if its happening at other times.Memory issue,app conflicts?

Anoying these kinds of issues,Event viewer might give clues to causes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users