Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High Pitch Buzzing Sound From Headphones Help!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Fumbles77

Fumbles77

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:22 PM

So its been about month now and for some reason. When I launch game or move my mouse over something (for example on YouTube when you scroll down on the page) there is a very high pitch noise that emits from the headphones it does this with all sound devices and I have no clue how to fix it! Specs:

Intel I-5 4570CPU @ 3.20Ghz

power supply - 430W

Gtx-660 2gb

8gb RAM

On board sound.

I hear a buzzing from my headphones on max volume that is a bit strange (not typical of max volume sound) but I can deal with it. But when I launch a game even with NO sound AT ALL no sound devices enabled at all. It lets out a horrible EEEEEEE sound and when I cap frame rate to different levels it changes in tone and type of sound. Ive tried everything you can imagine I cant find anything! Its not as bad in the back off the computer but still not near acceptable directly to motherboard sound but people on the other side of Skype get annoyed when I cant play games with them because all they hear is a screeching noise. Ive been trying for a month to fix this and I have no clue what it could be.

I have tried getting 2 different sound cards getting 600W power supply sending it back to cyberpower pc and getting a new motherboard. Ive tried everything software, taking out the graphics card entirely. Moving it around to different PCIE ports editing BIOS (it still makes the noise while in BIOS) changing internet cables. Trying new mice new keyboards new headsets everything. I thought it was a short on the motherboard but how could it be that when I get a new motherboard the moment I turn it on its still there? Any help would be appreciated.

This is the sound recorded from my phone being held up to my speakers on my headset.

http://www.mediafire.com/watch/d7h97azr73zqjaa/hh.3gp

Edited by hamluis, 02 February 2014 - 12:07 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:45 AM

Are you plugging the headphones into the front of the computer tower? This is common on desktops. To start with the cable inside the case is not very good quality shielding. The headphone port on the circuit boards are sometimes next to a USB plug (design flaw).  The wire is routed (bundled) along with other wires causing interference. It may not ever go away completely because the wire runs through the case to the pins on the motherboard instead of plugging in directly in the back of the pc.

#3 Fumbles77

Fumbles77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:42 AM

Well do you have any sort of suggestion as to what can silence it a little?

#4 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:45 AM

I have had that issue before and plugging them headphones into the speaker jack and changing it in the sound card's control panel worked. I eventually replaced the card.

#5 segref

segref

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:10 PM

Hi Fumbles77 et al.

If the sound is intermittant it could be coming from your mobile phone. If I move my phone away from the monitor the noise stops.

BTW. I get the same noise in my clock radio if the phone is too close. The noise sounds a lot like a high speed data transmision.

Segref

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:40 PM

As Technonymous has said, this is almost certainly interference being picked up by your headphone wiring. A computer is a maze of different high and low frequency signals and it is very easy to pick up a harmonic of one or more of them on audio cabliing. However, in your case, because you say the frequency of the interference changes when you change frame rate settings, it is more likely than not that your interference is originating  in your video card.

There are a couple of fairly simple things you could do to improve the situation. First off, turn off your computer and disconnect from the mains. Then remove the video card from its slot and replace it. This will clean any dirty connectors, and dirty connectors can generate a lot of interference.

Then you can re-route the headphone lead from the motherboard to the front socket as far a way from any circuit boards as you can get it. Particularly the video card !  If it is too short to allow you to be imaginative in your re-routing then you may want to consider replacing the cable with a slightly longer one, in which case I would advise replacing it with normal screened audio cable. This may depend on how good your soldering skills are.

And finally, you could consider fitting a sound card. You don't need a very expensive one - you can buy one for about £UK 10 - 15 which will do you perfectly well and would provide more isolation from the rest of the computer.

And I should have said this before - welcome to BC !

Chris Cosgrove

#7 Fumbles77

Fumbles77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:03 PM

But there is no way its the video card I've taken it completely out and the sound is still there. I know that there are a bundle of wires towards the front of the computer where the UBS's and Audio jacks are. Would making a separating these cords help suppress the sound? And why does it do it with the backs as well?

#8 Fumbles77

Fumbles77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:20 PM

Disconnected the audio jacks from the motherboard for the front of the computer. I'm using the back and its still there... any ideas now? Do you think it could still be interference? If so, would getting some sort of protectant for the wire stop this?

#9 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:25 AM

Does it sound like any of the voices in your head?

On a serious note:

Would you mind creating a situation where it constantly makes the noise and then unplug from the back of the PC the monitor, the keyboard, the mouse, and anything else connected to the computer (except the speakers/earphones and the power cable)? 

If you find anything that makes the sound stop gives us a heads up. It probably will lead to nothing, but who knows!

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#10 ProfessorCPU

ProfessorCPU

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:43 AM

Try turning off your mic.  Maybe it is getting feedback?  Or possibly there is a short in a wire.  Have you tried another set of earphones?  It's odd it only seems to happen while playing games.  I'm curious what is causing the issue.  If you figure it out please let us know.

#11 Fumbles77

Fumbles77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:33 PM

I've tried tons of different headphones and ear-buds and it still does it. I'm going to buy 2 of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812123282

Do you think it would be a good idea? It says it has EMI shielding.

#12 Fumbles77

Fumbles77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:40 PM

Tried messing with everything today. The hard drive the processor still NO clue what it is, ill have to contact cyberpowerPC tomorrow. I'm still open to any suggestions.

#13 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:40 PM

Have you tried what i suggested to rule out external hardware?

Also, does this still happen if you move your computer to another room?

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#14 Fumbles77

Fumbles77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:59 PM

Its not that Datcoolguy, I tried removing the hard drive the processor fan switching wires around rerouting them to cause less interference and nothing has fixed it yet. In the background when its buzzing you can hear a very faint "tick tick tick" like a clock.

#15 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:12 PM

It could be the line/aux input is not muted and somehow getting feedback from that. In the sound settings go to the recording devices section and turn down the line input and then mute it. Also if you have two sound cards can cause problems. If that is the case it's best to disable the onboard sound within the bios and use the aftermarket one. Plug the headphones/mic in the back of the system should disable the front. However, I would disconnect the front head/mic wire anyways as the signal is still there being piped into the motherboard. Be sure not to set radio's, wifi devices, cell phones, small house fans to close to the system. Usually it is interference although I have came across faulty onboard sound cards just emitting horrid static sound and had to be disabled in bios and a new sound card replaced.

Even though newer sound on motherboards is 5.1 there is just no comparison to a after market sound card even a 40 dollar cheapy sound blaster is better. I can hear a pin drop at 10 ft away with the mic slider set at 1/2 and no gain boost. On the Onboaord sound it has to be cranked to 100% with 40 gain boost to even slightly hear it. Onboard sound has always been inferior. This is why you see a huge market for after market sound cards.

Edited by technonymous, 02 February 2014 - 08:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users