Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo Thinkpad t510 Bios: Computrace by Absolute Software

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Godless

Godless

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:22 PM

Hi, first of all, sorry for my bad english (i'm from Italy) and thanks in advance for any help and sorry for my never ending post.

This is my "problem":

I bought a week ago a Lenovo Thinkpad t510 from USA in a good condition. Everything was fine expect some drivers that won't work some hot keys and a strange message when i go to the BIOS:

Notice, This computer is equipped with Computrace, by Absolute Software. Computer asset data may be transmitted to the Absolute Monitoring Center for enabling asset tracking and theft recovery. If you have questions about this service, please contact Absolute Software at 1-888-999-9857.

In the Bios everything seems to be ok expect the "Secure" menu which has the "Enabled" button in the absolute software task, and it's not possible to change the value in anyway.

When Windows 7 is booted it's noticable that there are a process (Rpcnet or Rpcnetp) in the service task and one file in the System32 (rpcnetp.exe) and four in the SYS64 folder (RPCNET.dll + RPCNETP.DLL + RPCNET.EXE + RPCNETP.EXE) that are from Absolute Software.

I tried to remove the files after i stopped the process from service of device manager: They were back.

I tried to create a copy file for replacing them with a read only text file in the same name: the rpcnetp.exe and rpcnet.dll were back.

I retried: some files were back, some not (sorry i can't remember specifically cause i tried so many times).

I Retried after a restore: same story, but the running process in the service had changed the name in rpcnetp.

I tried to flash the bios with a tool from Hiren 10.5: nothing.

I tried to update the bios from the lenovo support page's file: Nothing, the Bios is the most recent.

I gave up, trying to cancel (uselessly, of course) with a reinstall of the O.s. in other language: Nothing, still here.

I would like to remove it.

I asked help from the seller but he said:

"Hello, Computrace was deactivated when these machines were decommissioned as off-lease corporate machines. While Computrace still remains in the BIOS, this does not affect operation or configuration of the BIOS, and does not affect day-to-day usage. Computrace is no longer active or in use on this machine."

Here's some of my laptop Spec:

Lenovo t510, 4349 wj8

Bios version 1.52

Windows 7 professional 64 bit (English, now Italian)

HDD SSD 160gb Intel

Thanks for reading and sorry again for my bad english.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,282 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:04 PM

From Computrace website:

Our Agent is one of the stealthiest and most tamper-resistant clients on the market. It is incredibly persistent and allows you to maintain a connection with your computer. If our Persistence Module was embedded in the BIOS firmware of your computer during assembly, our Agent can survive operating system re-installations, hard drive reformats and even hard drive replacements

There are some methods to disable here. Look throught the five pages of comments.

http://www.freakyacres.com/remove_computrace_lojack

I do not know if Lenovo will let you flash to an older version of the BIOS if one is available but that has the possiblity of bricking your computer.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:22 AM

Would setting the bios back to default help?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 Godless

Godless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:44 PM

Hi Guys, first of all thanks for the reply.

JohnC_21, i had the plaesure to read these pages, and that's the source from i tried to fix with the replacing of "read only" files. Parphaps it doesn't work (maybe for the different OS, maybe for the 64 bit or because i have 5 files of rpcnet/rcpnetp instead of 4) and from reading the other pages the way i tried seems to be the best.. I will try now the one with the hex editor/cbrom but i'm an absolute begginer with this part of pc. Could you tell me where i can get the tools? Cause all the links are dead.. Thanks in advance for any reply.

OldPhil, hi, i tried to set in defalut the Bios with a tool from hiren 10.5 but it didn't work: the message is still there and it's not possible to disable from the security menu! Thanks for the advice, please tell me if you have any idea.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,282 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:51 PM

I would strongly discourage you to MOD your BIOS especially if you do not have any experience doing it. The possiblity of bricking your computer is high. That being said, here is a good place to start.

http://www.win-raid.com/t8f16-BIOS-Modding-Introduction-and-Preparations.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 February 2014 - 05:52 PM.

#6 KarenAbsolute

KarenAbsolute

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:57 PM

I am a Recovery investigator with Absolute Software and have determined from our Global Support that they may be able to  disable the Identifier so the message in the BIOS goes away.  Please respond with the device serial number and I will make the inquiries for you or you can contact them directly at www.absolute.com/support or 800 874474 [Italy] or 1-877-337-0337 [Canada & USA].

#7 Godless

Godless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:31 PM

Hi guys, sorry for the late reply.

JohnC_21, i read what you gently post me, and you're right in all the way. I will try this if i won't have any chance for removing my problem 'cause it's sound very difficult to me! If i'll have the luck to resolve the problem evading the modding, i thank you anyway for sharing your knoweldges.

KarenAbsolute, thank you very much for your reply. When i will come back home i will try to call the center on my behalf for not disturbing you. If i will some trouble, i'm contrite but i'll ask you some help. Thanks again.

Thanks again for yours reply and collaboration. This forum is really magic. Have a nice day.

#8 Godless

Godless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:52 AM

Hi, sorry for not repling for so long.

I've contact the absolute support center on the 7th Feb. They told me that they need some information (machine type, serial number, seller information and paypal and receipt of payment). After some minutes of conversation they told me that the software doesn't result on their database. So i tried to explain and show them the activation mode on the bios, the rpcnet service and the files of rpcnet and rpcnetp. They told me that the support center will contact me soon possibile but i'm still waiting: even though i contacted them twice after the first phone.

KarenAbsolute, could you tell me if is possible to do something if i will write my computrace case number? Sorry for the delay and thanks for yous patience.

Have a good day.

#9 KarenAbsolute

KarenAbsolute

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:18 PM

Godless:  If you have a Computrace case number, I can give you the history of the case. 

#10 Godless

Godless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:08 PM

Hi KarenAbsolute, my case number is 4316907097, thanks for the support and gently reply.

#11 Godless

Godless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:35 PM

I've resolved today the case after some emaling with the support center.

I thank all of you for the patience and the competence.

This forum is really great

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users