Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Access Saved Emails On Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 champion

champion

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 10 May 2006 - 10:22 PM

I can't access emails that I have saved on my hard drive. When I try to open them from a file folder, my computer bleeps (literally), gives me a momentary view of the email (any where from 1/4 second to several seconds, but usually 1/4 second) and then covers the email with the standard full-page popup which is headed with "The page cannot be displayed." (The rest of the page tells you several different ways to try to get the page to display, all of which don't work). I am running Windows XP, svc pack 2 and AT&T/Yahoo DSL. I have followed aumha.org's quick fix protocol for cleaning my computer, checking for parasite programs in my add/remove programs applet and running Ad-Aware (only found a couple of data miners). I'm afraid to run HijackThis because of all the admonitions that it is for advanced users only (something that I am not). Can anyone think of what else could be causing this blocking of my saved emails...and what I can do about it? Thanks, Champion.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Christopher83

Christopher83

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 11 May 2006 - 07:55 AM

Which email program (Outlook, Express, Thunderbird, Netscape) or email web service (yahoo!, msn, gmail, etc) - are you using?

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 09:41 AM

In addition to the earlier questions to help us where you trying to open them from, the file extension of these saved E-mails, and the application with which you trying to open them.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 15 May 2006 - 07:40 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 champion

champion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 09:03 PM

Thanks for trying to help me with this ongoing problem. The answers to your questions are:
1. I am using Yahoo web service (DSL from SBC, now AT&T)
2. The extensions are 'htm' - they are all HTML documents
3. I am not in any application - I click 'windows explorer', then I click a file folder that has the email I want to reread, then I click on the email icon (a small fat spaceship). At that point the email shows up momentarily (very very briefly) and is superceded by the page which states 'the page cannot be displayed' along with instructions on how to try to open the page (none of which works).
Champion

#5 Christopher83

Christopher83

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 06:02 PM

How are you saving these? Just File -> Save As from inside your web browser ? I'm not sure that's going to work for you. Can you access them when you loging to Yahoo?

#6 champion

champion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 08:55 PM

Yes, after reading the email, I click 'file', 'save as' and select the file folder on my hard drive that I want to place the email in. I have then been deleting the email from the Yahoo server. I see the icon for the email in the file folder. When I double click on the icon, it brings up the email (usually for a brief moment) and then is overridden by the full page message which says that 'the page cannot be displayed'...'try one of the following' (which doesn't do anything). If I create a file folder on the Yahoo server, I can save messages there without a problem...but that doesn't place them in the local file where I want them. I am sure that I used to be able to read emails saved on my hard drive but I don't know when (or why) that stopped being the case.
Champion

#7 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 06:42 AM

I am sure that I used to be able to read emails saved on my hard drive but I don't know when (or why) that stopped being the case.

I think Yahoo has changed recently to get you to anty up for the WebMail "Plus".
There are a couple workarounds.
When you open up a message while logged into yahoo, at the bottom right hand corner is a "Save Message Text" option. You can use it to save and view it offline. However, it's saved as a .txt file and will open in notepad\wordpad.
If you have an existing POP3 account with your ISP, you can use third party software like YPOPs to view and download messages from a yahoo webmail account using a POP3 e-mail client like Outlook, Outlook Express,etc.
You can then view them offline that way as well.

Edited by HitSquad, 15 May 2006 - 06:44 AM.

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 07:45 AM

Have you verified, by right clicking on one of these files and looking at Properties that comes up on the drop down tab, that it is opening with the appropriate application?
Regards,
John

#9 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 08:54 AM

I tested Yahoo mail.
I created a new folder on the desktop.
I went to my list of sent emails since there were none in my inbox.
I right clicked a sent email link & chose Save Target As.
I chose .htm as type.
I chose the new folder to put it in.
I have LeechGet but used Internet Explorer to download it.
I opened the new folder & the .htm file was there.
I right clicked it & chose Open.
It showed the email.
It opened with Internet Explorer.

I deleted the original.
It had attachments.
The saved file couldn't access them since they were now deleted from Yahoo but the text was still there.
It looked like the Yahoo mail page it came from.
And the thumbnails of the attached pictures.
Which were not clickable.

With all the free space at Yahoo & Gmail I just archive emails on the servers.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 09:34 AM

I think you might have to save the attachments separately, if you use save target as. I would try saving the attachments as whatever the original attachment file type was, for example JPEGs or .docs.
Regards,
John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users