Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updating BIOS on ASUS P5W DH MOBO

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tbarb

tbarb

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:28 PM

I want to update to the latest BIOS on my ASUS P5W DH mobo before I add a new SSD and install Windows 7. It's the fist time I will have done this personally, but updating the BIOS has proven the hardest part of all this.

ASUS has an update program that is supposed to install a new BIOS, but it does not work, It won't connect to the servers and I've lost days and nights trying. So I downloaded the latest BIOS file for this mobo using a pop up utility that came up on their website when I went to do so and placed the file on my desktop so I could find it again. The only thing their BIOS program could do was copy the current BIOS to a file which I also moved to my desktop.

So I have a .zip file of the latest BIOS on my desktop and am now wondering how to get it installed on the mobo.

Some details: 

P5W DH mobo

BIOS file   ...3002.zip

I've read the mobo manual and it is not detailed on how to do this manually. It refers to a utility that will install it, but some posters say on their website forum not to use it. Just pointing to a utility without instructions will not help me though as it's my first time doing this. I have read putting the new BIOS file on a thumb drive along with a proper utility and making this thumb drive the boot device will install it. But I would think I need to unzip it first and don't know with what. If I knew what program to use to do the update, and what program to use to unzip the new BIOS file; I could get them on a thumb drive and change the current BIOS to use the thumb drive as the boot device. But what programs? and where do I get them?

Or if I am not on the right trail please point me to what I should be doing. Just want to update to the latest BIOS.

Unfortunately, they do not answer their support chat requests, nor reply to emails.  I hope someone here has done this and can help.

Many thanks..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:21 PM

You will have to update the BIOS in DOS. On the same page that you downloaded the Rom file, there is a section called BIOS utilities which has the utility to update the BIOS. Called AFUDOS236.zip. You can use Rufus to create a bootable DOS flash drive.

Here is a support article from ASUS explaining the use of Afudos. You will need to use /i followed by the name of the ROM file. Don't use the EZ flash option as shown in the below link.

http://support.asus.com.tw/technicaldocuments/technicaldocuments_content.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&NO=546

Warning: A bad BIOS flash may brick your computer. You can use the /o switch to backup the BIOS.

afudos236(space)/o edit: Command should be afu236u /o

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 January 2014 - 07:25 PM.

#3 tbarb

tbarb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:58 PM

Great, thanks.

I see the utilities section and the file you refer to. So I will get on it.

Not to ask something that may spelled out in the article, but how do I unzip the utility file and the rom file before placing them on the thumb drive?  Or will the utility unzip the BIOS file during the install routine?

If something does go wrong and it 'bricks' as you say and I can't reboot, I imagine the fix is to buy a new BIOS chip?

One potential wrinkle - I did not mention. The two HD's that currently exist as my C: boot drive are RAID 0. Once I get the new SSD and Windows 7 installed, I will reconnect these 2 old HD's and I do not care if they are RAID or just regular HD's D: and E:  I have read they are considered  dynamic disks/volumes and should survive a disconnect and reconnect, but I have not found any material to say if they will survive a BIOS update or they would need to be reset.  (I think I can just change the RAID in the regular BIOS to ACHI and do not have to do anything with the RAID BIOS (like delete it) and the computer will recognize them as D: and E: when I boot up after making the new SSD the C: drive).

So my question with this wrinkle is will updating the BIOS effect the RAID 0 set up. (I mean what is to be normally expected not what could happen if something abnormally goes wrong.) 

Thanks again!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,649 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:34 PM

You are going to need and archive utility like 7zip to extract the files to the USB flash drive after you have used Rufus to make it bootable. I am not that experienced in Raid but it would be my guess that flashing the BIOS would send it back to the default settings. There may be some way to break the array into separate drives and maintain the data but I don't think it is possible. I would break the array before you do the flash but when you do that I am pretty sure the data is lost so you need to do a backup of the whole array. Hopefully somebody on the board can give their thoughts on how to break the array. I have read that it can be done with RAID management software. Warning a BIOS flash may brick the computer.

#5 tbarb

tbarb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:05 PM

Hi and thanks. I'll search for 7zip.

I have no data concerns as to any loss. There is no data. This computer runs only one application and security for which there is no data created. I will do a fresh install of the application and security after the new SSD and Windows 7 are installed.

So I only have to deal with the BIOS, new SSD, and Windows 7 install; and not worry about anything else to preserve. Since I have the drives already though it makes sense to either keep them as RAID 0 if after reconnecting them after the SSD is installed they are again recognized as a valid volume, or have them as a single D: and E: (Or maybe just put back one as D:  if the computer recognizes it that way after reconnecting them. However, either way is really a non issue as I really don't need them.  My backups are on an external and for this machine I'll have a full system back up after it runs a couple days, but in the event of a problem I would most likely just reinstall the application which is faster and always whole.    

Under RAID 0 where the computer sees two drives as one the data is spread across two physical drives and of course any loss on one drive will mean loss of all data. That is the caveat of RAID 0. But as mentioned above I am not concerned with that. I was just wondering after a BIOS update how that would result. Perhaps someone knows?  I think I can break the arrays in the RAID BIOS and then choose ACHI in the main BIOS and the drives will appear as single drives. But if I donlt have to and I can just reconnect them after the new BIOS is installed so be it. (Leaving well enough alone)  

Thanks again

#6 tbarb

tbarb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:07 PM

Just  a note. Could not get afudos to open the bios file after a couple hours with it. The USB would boot and afu would run on command, but error would result:< cannot open bios file>. Tried 3 bios downloads and 4 extracts, and two afudos downloads as well. The EZ Flash program on the chip worked in seconds and flawlessly. Now on to the ssd upgrade....

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,649 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:10 PM

So EZ flash is the way to go if available. Thanks for that update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users