Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Dimension wifi driver pain

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:39 PM

Picked up couple of  Dell's today did great on one, but have a problem getting the wifi driver on it for the Linksys pci card they had me install.  The driver is a fresh down load, I unzipped it on a usb drive went into system.  The card shows up fine but could not find the driver when specifically pointed to it on the drive.  I thought can't beat me, I moved an unzipped copy to the Dell driver folder and unzipped it.  Again showed it where was and tried to load it still N/G.  Being a wise guy I opened and loaded the driver to the system and tried again stumped!  I can bring the good one back, but they need the wifi one just as bad all ideas appreciated.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:48 PM

Phil, how many systems are you dealing with at this point?  What is the model# of that Linksys wifi card/adapter?  What is the Operating system on the computer?  What is the model #s of those computers?

If it is just a Linksys PCI card, you just need the Linksys drivers, not any Dell drivers.  I usually will use the Rosewill card in machines.  Never have had any issues with that card.  This is the card that I used in a Dell with no problems.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166060&ignorebbr=1

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:44 AM

Already had the card I am trying the linksys 4.1 driver supposedly for the WMP54g card, the system just one is an older Dell Dimension 8110. 

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:20 PM

You need to stick with the version driver, for the device, not one that is different then the chipset on the device.  There is no ver. 4.1 driver on Linksys site.  Where are you getting these drivers from?  Linksys is not showing any on their site for this adapter, since it is considered discontinued Legacy equipment.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:36 PM

Card WMP54G v4.1  Driver Ralink-RT61-2009 0824zip

Edited by OldPhil, 01 February 2014 - 02:36 PM.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:38 AM

Success!  Could not conquer it, Pulled all his data off onto my Roswell, grabbed his program disks, scrubbed it.  His XP disk had SP2 had to go through the 300+ megs of 3, ran his service number got all the drivers.  When I rebooted after 3 the 54G was installed, I unplugged the cable and did the rest of the goodies wirelessly, will drop off at his office this AM.  Peace at last!!!  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users