Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank Icons - no program associated with it

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Aperson

Aperson

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:50 PM

Hello.

I have a MAJOR problem. I recently uninstalled a program and after i re booted, all my desktop icons was white / blank.

Clicking their properties shows where they are located and their target, but they do not run. I can run the software from their locations - though some reinstalled. Like Ableton live loaded and all my settings was gone for it. It also loaded 64 bit when i always had 32 bit running because i have a lot of 32 bit VST.

Everything, even the toolbar ikons are blank. And my start menu is also showing everything in white. Even worse, i could not get online because i could not find Google Chrome. When i did, i selected to send to desktop and it did so - but showing in white like the others and will not run from there.

I recently changed my PC name, but after re-boot i did not have any issue that i found. 

I un-installed Protools demo step by step and it has a PACE ilock that needed to be removed. After i did that with Iobit uninstaller it searched for left over issues and found thousands of registry entries and i selected to remove them.

I do not think it was this because i have installed Pro tools once before and after issues, i removed it and tried again (This time) and the registry entries was in the thousands at that time. Iobit has a select tab and everything was from the Pace Anti Piracy that was being removed and unless something went wrong, it was just as it had been when i removed it previously.

I have no idea how to fix this and have almost 1 TB of music related software and files and i would NOT know where to start to put this right.

Any ideas, please ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:14 PM

This may work but as you stated, you removed thousands of registry items which is problematic.

Try rebuilding the icon cache.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/49819-icon-cache-rebuild.html

#3 haikushiatus

haikushiatus

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:20 PM

you may try this. same with JohnC's

Open an elevated command prompt

Copy and paste the following commands

taskkill /f /im Explorer.exe

attrib -h %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\IconCache.db

del %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\IconCache.db

Start Explorer

#4 Aperson

Aperson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:35 PM

Hello.

I tried the download to rebuild the icon cache but after reboot - no change. In my toolbar (The one that was google) i clicked and selected to find google app as the file associated with it. When i selected it, every icon on my desktop become a google icon.

"Command Prompt"  i have no idea where that is. In start menu there is only a "Search" box where Command Prompt" used to be with Win XP. Everything in program menu is white icons. In my control panel , some things do not execute. For example, highlighted in blue is the system restore but clicking it doe nothing. Some things just do not execute any more. If i right click "Computer" from start menu so as to select properties and thus change computer name, i get nothing happen. Right click does not bring anything up. I am not sure this is due simply to the icon cache. something is very wrong!

#5 haikushiatus

haikushiatus

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:46 PM

for us to see if the above instructions worked, you can run it via:

- Windows + R to open Run

- type in cmd to open command prompt

-start from there.

#6 Aperson

Aperson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:05 PM

I have no idea as to where you refer . I open Windows folders and find no "Command Prompt" EXE in there. I found it in the start menue, but now as everu Icon is associated with Google, clicking it opens a explorer window and it starts a download that i can keep or discard. When i click "My Programs" folder which  does not have a Google icon, it opens an explorer with "INDEX OF" like you get on some web sites. Every icon is now associated with Google after i selected windows to associate google ghrome application with that app from it's default location. But it is no usual Google Icon. They are all white with a small Google icon onside them.,

I can not do anything with the PC any more except get online. Strangely, 3 icons on the desktop are original. One is security Check, Max Payne and an online Anti Virus Scanner. Security Check works, i did not run it, but it opens fine.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:11 PM

Click the Windows globe and in the search box type CMD. Then right click and select Run as Administrator. Having every icon turn into Google after only one is associated with it tells me there are bigger problems than just the icon cache.

#8 Aperson

Aperson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:27 PM

I have done that and the command Prompt opens up - what do i do with that now?

The Icon association problem is due to me selecting the google icon (It was blank at the time) and when windows says it has no program associated with it, you can chose to associate one for it by browsing. That was what i did. I went to Google loacation and selected the google App for that icon and then every Icon became a googgle one. It makes sense if there is an issue whereby windows has lost some file / s needed.

Everything works in other ways. If i go to specific locations and find various apps, they run with no issues. And have held my original settings. (Ignore the one about Ableton in my previous post. I found the 32 bit App and it runs fine. The icons are not google if i go into folders. ONLY on desktop and program files start menu. Clicking them is associating them with an HTML document so it tries to execute them as such. You got me?

#9 Aperson

Aperson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

I copy and paste in what i was told above and here is what i got. (See Photo) 

Note the computer name? That was the name i changed FROM because it was more than 11 characters. It is now changed to Heats- PC

#10 Aperson

Aperson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:40 PM

Here>>

Attached Files

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:09 PM

After you ran the .bat file in my post, did you restart the computer? I think you are getting that in the command prompt windows is because the icon cache file has already been deleted.

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 January 2014 - 07:09 PM.

#12 Aperson

Aperson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:35 PM

It was restarted, yes. If i look in local folder, there is no icon cache folder in there. Somehow, i think it has been deleted. At the heart, the PC is fine in every other regard and from my years of experience (Since 1983) this is not a viral cause. I feel it was a two edged cause. One: Renaming the PC and almost right after removing pro tools and it's associated extras.

Somehow, one can surly reset a database - albeit manually or otherwise . I can easily remove all desktop icons and send new ones there, but as there is no actual database in the system, nothing in turn will execute from the desktop. I have to surf to their perspective locations and find the Application / s and run them from there. Also, as my Program Files in start menu is also blank (Albeit replaces with Google icons) i would thus not be able to manually do the same for those as i could with the desktop. Therefore, it is safe to say one would need to somehow create a new database file , even if it is blank to start with, at least every APP i place on the desktop would then execute from that location and perhaps (If also located in start menu) appear there also.

I could do this one by one over time if need be. But i would really need to understand the DAT file that is missing. Maybe i can download a blank one? 

It has got me lost and bewildered :)

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

The icon cache should have been rebuilt at startup. Do you have the ability to do a system restore to a date before this problem happened?

Edit: make sure that any files that have been placed on the desktop since the system restore date is moved to MY Documents.

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 January 2014 - 07:38 PM.

#14 Aperson

Aperson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:53 PM

I do not have any system restore dates . I have never created any and never have for any computer i have had. I did look, but i don't seem to be able to open the system restore tab from control panel / action centre / system restore. The blue clickable tab does not open anything. The only thing that works in action centre is the change use account control . The review computer status, etc, does not open anything.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:04 PM

It's unfortunate that you used the IObit uninstaller. Sometimes these utilites do more harm than good. There is only one more option that may or may not work. Download WIndows all in one repair. Run it in an admin account and make sure Repair Icons is the only box checked. Then press the Start Button and after it is finished reboot. If this does not solve the problem then hopefully somebody on the Forum can jump in and give their thoughts.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one-portable/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users