Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suggestions on New Build

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:18 PM

Currently running an Asus MB, with AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 5600 2.9 Ghz and 8 gigs of Ram and was wanting to build a new one and keep this as a backup.

Have HD, DVD-burners, case fans (120mm) and PS (over 550) and was wondering what kind of tower to get, MB and ram to get this new one built.  Will be running Win 7, 64-bit (not crazy about Win 8).

Don't do any gaming, but do some editing of videos and was also wondering if the video on a MB was adequate for what I need or should I go video card too?

Want to keep this on a reasonable cost basis, but as much quality and reliability as practical. 

And the tower should have enough space to get your hands in there, if you know what I mean?  LOL

Any assistance to this would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:40 AM

Before we begin, we should have a dollar amount for what you are willing to spend.

Are you able to reuse the PC case?  That would lower the cost a bit.  Also, when you say editing of videos, do you mean 3D rendering, or simple stuff like encoding and remastering home movies?  I ask because if you are only doing simple stuff, an AMD APU should be more than enough graphics, but if you are doing anything more than that, a dedicated add-in graphics card would be suggested.

3939.png

#3 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:50 AM

No, want to get a new case, but have the PS.  Love my Ultra case now, but having one with a plastic window on the side would bring the weight down a bit.  And on the video, nothing that heavy, just downloading you-tube videos to keep for playing at a later date.  And record TV in WMC too.

Want to keep the cost fairly low, but not at the cost of quality.  And would changing the MB, processor and ram increase my speed that much compared to what I've got now?

Oh, going to a SSD for the OS, would that improve all speeds for internet and email that much too?  Think I could get by with a 120 gig one.  Only have 50 on this one with all software installed and all data on a Sata HD now.

Thanks for the reply DJBPace07!

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:48 AM

It's difficult to give suggestions without some budget idea, but I suppose something like this could fall into the "fairly low cost" category, depending on how it's defined!

Core i5-4570 system: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2N3yn  or could reduce the cost by going for a Core i3-4330.  These both have integrated HD4600 graphics which are actually not bad, perfectly adequate for non-gaming use (or even very light gaming with older games or low settings).

Personally I favour Intel, but there's a lot to be said for things like the AMD A-series APU's in lower cost systems too.

Few benchmarks that might help you decide, just choose a benchmark with the dropdown, and it shows how current CPU's compare against an AMD Athlon64 X2 5800+ (closest match they had to 5600+).  I hope the link works - http://www.cpu-world.com/benchmarks/browse/1030_96,1078_96,1040_99,574_22/?c_test=30&PROCESS=Show+Selected

Edited by jonuk76, 04 February 2014 - 09:05 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:38 AM

Would rather stay with AMD and Asus (those have giving me good luck since building computers).  And would like to keep case, MB, ram under $300 if possible.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:40 AM

Under $300 isn't going to happen.  If this is a hard budget, you may want to wait and save as you would have to cut corners or go low-end on components.  Here's an idea and an explanation as to why they are suggested.

Case:  Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower - This is an inexpensive computer case but highly rated.  Generally, cases with windows or side vents are louder and aluminum cases are of higher quality.  $69

OS:  Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM - You need a copy of Windows with WIndows Media Center, or some other TV tuning software,  If you need Bitlocker, domain aware printing, EFS, or some other "Professional" functions, I would suggest WIndows 8.1 Professional 64-bit.  Windows 8 isn't that bad and you can ignore the new Start screen if you want to, just make sure your TV tuner supports it.  If you have a full, boxed, retail copy of Windows, you can move it to this new system, but if you have OEM or System Builder copy, you need a new license as you are getting a new motherboard.  $99

Motherboard:  ASUS F2A85-V PRO FM2 AMD A85X - This is an FM2 motherboard taking AMD APU's.  It is also a standard ATX board which is good for heat dissipation.  $124

CPU:  AMD A10-6790K Richland 4.0 GHz - This is one of AMD's higher-end APU's.  They are good for non-gaming tasks and have good on-board graphics cards.  $129

RAM:  Team Elite Plus 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - With APU's having fast RAM is always best.  8GB should be more than enough.  $74

Total:  $489

3939.png

#7 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:11 AM

Thanks for the advice, but went up to TigerDirect retail store and went crazy.  You're right, ain't going to happen for $300.

Got an AMD quad-core processor, Asus A88X-pro MB (had to order it from Newegg though, TD was out and you couldn't even order from their website because it was back-ordered - WTF?), Patriot 8 GB PC-3 12800 ram, 450 watt PS, and a 120 GB SSD and Ultra case.  $400 not counting the MB that I got from Newegg for $123.  Now I just have to wait for the MB in 4-7 business days, arrrrrrgggggg!!!!! 

Thanks all for the replies!

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:27 AM

So, what did you ultimately get?

3939.png

#9 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:54 AM

Got an Ultra Gladiator Mid-tower case, $49.99

Asus A88x-pro FM2 MB $123.00

AMD A8 5600K processor $89.99

Patriot Viper 8GB 1600 ram $84.99 (but with $30 mail-in rebate)

Ultra 450W PS $39.99

Kingston HyperX 120GB SSD $109.99

Have DVD-burners and Win7 Home edition already, and of course the monitor and the rest of the stuff.

#10 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:53 AM

First time with a SSD, is there something special I should know to boot into the Win 7 - 64 bit disk?

Edited by Hawkeye4, 10 February 2014 - 01:54 AM.

#11 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:30 AM

Seems to be up and running and just doing all the updates now.  :thumbup2:

#12 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger