Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Pc Restart Question Redux

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 akulikov

akulikov

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 10 May 2006 - 09:41 PM

A few weeks ago I created this topic which explained my issues with the random rebooting of my machine. The gist of it was - I'd tried several different power supplies and while they fixed the problem temporarily, with each one it got progressively worse. At the advice of this forum, i got a temperature monitor, which told me that my CPU temperature hovers at around 65C. Well, it's been several weeks and as far as I could tell from its logs, the temperature is never over 70 when the computer restarts - in fact, the temperature is always average (definitely not as high as my 90C shutdown limit). I let my friend know about all this and according to him "it's not the temperature".

So, if it's not the temperature and it's not the power supply what could it be? I'm at my wit's end with this badly-behaved PC.

Edited by akulikov, 10 May 2006 - 09:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 10 May 2006 - 10:25 PM

Did you try the usual suspects, loose RAM, connectors, cards,...?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 akulikov

akulikov
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 04:32 PM

I actually haven't - I think I'll check tonight. What parts specifically should I look at?

#4 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 11 May 2006 - 06:59 PM

With all due respect for your friend, anything over 60 degrees Celsius is too high, at least for an AMD processor. Not familiar with modern Intels but I would guess they are similar. Personally I prefer not to see temps over 55 degrees with the CPU working hard (video encoding, etc.) I would first take steps to get the temp down, and see if that puts an end to your problem. First try blowing the dust out of your CPU fan and heatsink, it's amazing how much of a difference this can make. If that doesn't help, it's time to consider a new heatsink/fan unit.

Please note that even if something else is causing your shutdowns, temperature reduction is worthwhile because it will prolong the life of your CPU.

Do check all cable connections to the motherboard especially power supply and hard drive cables. Also reseat RAM modules and your graphics card (if you have one). Be sure to do this with the computer turned off _and disconnected from the wall outlet or surge suppressor_.

As far as other tests, Go to www.memtest.org and download the appropriate file to make either a test floppy or bootable CDROM. Memtest is based on Linux and therefore does not depend on the health of your Windows installation -- in fact, you can run it with all hard drives disconnected. Run it with only one stick of memory installed and let it go at least 3 full passes. Repeat with each memory stick.

#5 akulikov

akulikov
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 12:47 PM

Thanks a lot for your help. I'm going to try all this tommorow and see how it goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users