Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What are the Symtoms of a bad CPU

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ihgirl

ihgirl

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:49 PM

I have a Dell XPS 8500, intel 3rd gen core i7-3770 4.3Ghz, 8GB RAM DDR3 PC3-12800, 2TB Hard Drive, running Windows 8 64-bit. PC is 1 year + 1 month old (warranty expired 1 month ago). It has been running fine until I initiated a restart, which hadn't been done for a week. On the reboot, it hung at the Dell splash screen with the F12 Boot Options in upper right corner, Blue progress bar doesn't progress at all and no response to any F-keys.

I tried another Power Supply, new HD, swapped RAM, & tried to boot from my recovery DVD, same results on all. So I ordered a motherboard, which was used but supposed to be 100% good. I installed it last night and got the 4 beeps on boot, so determined 2 of the memory slots were bad. When I put the RAM in the other 2 slots & booted, I got the same Dell splash screen with no response to any F-key. So, I guess it's not the MOBO and I'm returning it. My last idea is a bad CPU. There was no early indication of high CPU temps or PC problems before this. Does anyone know what other symptoms of a bad CPU are? I'm reluctant to just order one without some idea if it's bad.

Thanks for any help on this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:56 PM

It looks like you have repalced nearly all other components, I did not see any mention of a video card, if you have an add in video card (pcie) disconnect that and try with onboard only. The newer intel chips including your 3770 have a built in memory controller, the 2 ports that did not work on the board could be related to a bad cpu ram controller or could be related to the board. Did you try the ram in all the slots in your original board? If in both boards the same 2 slots did not work this would be good idication there is an issue with your cpu. Also I see the clock speed as 4.3GHz, did you mean 3.4GHz? If you have any overclocks I would remove those as well.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 ihgirl

ihgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:16 PM

Thanks for your reply. I do have an add-in video card, which I disconnected and used the onboard one with the same results. My original board did not have the memory problem with the 4 beeps, but I did try swapping the ram as a single chip in different slots and as a pair in the other slot pairing before ordering the 2nd MOBO. I even removed all ram to see if I got the beeps (2 of them) to verify that it knew there wasn't any ram installed and was at least reading ram. When I put a chip back in it didn't beep, so I don't think it's the ram. My clock speed is 3.4GHz (that was a typo). I didn't know about the 3770 having a built-in memory controller. I can't think of any other component that would prevent me from at least getting into the BIOS. Could a bad CMOS cause that?

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

Potentially a bad cmos could cause a problem but if the other board acted the same way I would strongly suspect the cpu. I am not sure what you had connected but you could try the bench test.

Outside of the computer case (put the motherboard on a non conductive surface like a wood table for example: use the cpu/cpu cooler, motherboard, 1 stick of ram, connect the power supply to the motherboard 4 or 8 pin and the 24 pin slots only. Connect the monitor and see if it posts. To power it on, short the 2 pins where the power button connects to the motherboard. It will not hurt the motherboard to short the power button pins, this is actually exactly what the power button does.

EDIT: do not connect any other device while doing the bench test, keyboards, mice etc. Any of those components can cause post issues especially things like kvm switches (I have had several dells hang on post when using a kvm). When you turn on the computer while doing a bench test you are essentailly waiting to see if it will fully post and then display something like no bootable device detected. If you get passed the splash screen that is a good sign. Then you can plug in a keyboard and see if you can get into the bios.

Edited by zingo156, 31 January 2014 - 03:44 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 ihgirl

ihgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:46 AM

I've FINALLY gotten a chance to respond to zingo156 who helped in my time of need. The unbelievable thing is that I put my original MB back in the computer and reinserted 1 RAM chip and when I started her up, I actually got to the BIOS. After at least 50 times of trying! I immediately went to the diagnostic section and ran complete tests with no errors. I then put the 2nd RAM chip in and reran the diagnostic tests, still no errors. I booted into normal and it's been running ever since. I have no explanation  as to why it just died and the events log had no events to indicate what caused the computer to fail.

I tried zingo156's suggestion but it didn't power up at all. That's when I went back to putting my MB back in and went through the 7 steps again:

1. Power off  and unplug
  2. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  3. Open case and remove motherboard battery
  4. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  5. Install one RAM module in slot 1, leave all other slots empty
  6. Reinstall battery (right-side-up!)
  7. See if it boots now with only mouse, monitor and keyboard connected

I held the power button much longer and that's when it booted into the BIOS.

I apologize for not posting sooner, but February was a catch-up month.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:16 AM

It does seem odd that it just started working. By the way, the first time a computer fully posts after the cmos has been reset (likely the new main board was reset before it was shipped), it may take a minute to do. If it stops working again, let us know the beep code that the main board is throwing out. If you have it booting, it may be worth trying to run prime95 which will stress the cpu and help test stability with ram etc. I never trust the built in dell memory diagnostic. I usually recommend memtest86: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users