Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 and 8.1 Without a Touch Screen Monitor

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AZrox

AZrox

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:13 PM

Hello all,

I just wanted everyones take on using Windows 8 and 8.1 without a touchscreen.

Can one manage without a touchscreen? The computer will be used for web surfing, MS Office and downloading/playing music.

Thx!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AZrox

AZrox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:14 PM

Windows 8.0 and 8.1 without a touch screen on Desktops and Laptops.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:22 PM

It is usable without a touch screen, if you want it to look nearly the same as windows 7 there are things like "Classic Start" which you can get from http://ninite.com/

To download classic start at ninite.com, put a checkmark in the classic start box and click get installer. Run the download and it will install for you. Then you can make the start menu look like xp, vista, or windows 7 in the classic start program settings.

Also without classic start you can use windows key commands to help get around faster which is what I did for a short period of time before I got classic start...

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:32 PM

As an Alternative I use Classic Shell

How to add a Start Menu to Windows 8 using Classic Shell

With this in mind, a free program called Classic Shell has been updated to support the ability to add a Start Menu to Windows 8. Classic Shell is a popular Start Menu alternative that allows you to change the Windows Start Menu to appear as different Windows Start Menu styles or a new one created by the developers of Classic Shell. A really nice feature is that for those who do not wish to use the Windows 8 Start Screen, Classic Shell is configured by default to bypass it and boot directly to the desktop.

This what My Windows 8 Desktop looks like with Classic Shell. I clicked the start button to show what it looks like.

win8-desktop-full-size.jpg

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 31 January 2014 - 03:33 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:46 PM

I just got my first Laptop with Windows 8 preloaded.  When I have room to set up I use a USB mouse and keyboard.  Makes typing much easier and I hate the Touchpad and mouse gestures(I disabled swiping and edge of screen hotspot... just left the corners.)

I was able to purchase a mini USB keyboard, optical USB mouse and cheapie mousepad for less than $20.  In this particular case the items were included in those office supplies Walmart will send to FedEx Office Store with no shipping charges, if you buy them online.  A great deal for me.

But even if you don't get the keyboard I find using a real mouse much less stressful than that Touchpad thing.  :)

Edit: Even though W8 is stable enough I'd much rather have W7.  I miss the Glass.  W8 is like a really drab XP with no theme support.  Really blah.  All the Glass I added to my small utilities I wrote for Vista and W7 just shows as gray flat drab yuck.  I hope W9 brings back the Glass and makes it easier to program.  But that's just my hangup.  :)

Edited by MilesAhead, 31 January 2014 - 04:50 PM.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#6 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:17 PM

I use 8.1 without the touch screen and have no issues with it.  Although I have to be honest, I tend to use the keyboard more since I am quite "mouse challenged", and the only issue there is remembering all the "hot keys".

As rotor123 has stated, I too, use the Classic Shell but I do float between that and those crazy charms.

For you, MilesAhead...

http://glass8.berlios.de/

#7 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:45 PM

I do it all the time, with 8 in desktop mode. Metro is never used, unless I decide to change my user picture or Start screen. Then I just run the Metro apps in Stardock software Metromix.

#8 AZrox

AZrox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:58 AM

Great! Thanks for all helpful suggestions and comments.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:56 PM

Good Luck, I hope You enjoy whatever You Buy.

May I also suggest that You look at our Windows 8 tutorials, They can be informative.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users