Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repair Install For Windows Xp Doesn't Get Past Setup

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 aelfgifa

aelfgifa

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 10 May 2006 - 09:31 PM

Hello again,

I keep not wanting to give up am am back to where I was this time yesterday.

At the Microsoft site, there are directions for something called a repair install, which sounds like what I need. I put my disc in the drive, followed Microsoft's directions, Setup ran to the point where it told me it apparently couldn't read my existing version of Windows XP from my hard drive, which is no big surprises. So I put the CD in the drive and got an error message that this isn't a legal version of Windows XP.

It is too. I was able to do scannow off the same exact disc the day before yesterday when we were trying to fix all my viruses. I have the original folder with the Product Key sitting right in front of me.

Now, when I try to go back into SafeMode, I can't get there either because I get "Windows Setup cannot run under Safemode. Setup will restart now. In response, I tried to do 2 things, hoping to (a) either exit SafeMode and finish the repair install or (:thumbsup: exit Setup and get back to SafeMode so I can look at My Comuter to see if that gives me any information I can use to try to undo my messing up my BIOS.

Is there any hope at all or will I have to take this thing to a repair shop?

aelfgifa

(On the brighter side, all the information I got in the HJT forum was helpful on the laptop I'm now using. The Look2Me removal tool seems to have worked, my Ewido log, AVG log, and SpyBot logs are clean for the laptop so I can stay on line long enough to read directions for trying to fix my other computer :flowers: I might not be bright but am persistent (although if it's time to give up on the other computer . . . )

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RichieP

RichieP

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 11 May 2006 - 02:40 AM

A repair install will remove all programs you have installed but leave any saved files hyou have.

If you don't mind losing your files, have you considered reformatting and installing from scratch?

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 11 May 2006 - 11:39 AM

A repair install leaves all programs and data intact. Here's a link to my preferred method of doing a repair install: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 12:18 PM

You are right this is exactly the same post that you have running already.

Since you are in the middle of a repair install windows whether you are in safe mode or regular mode will not give up on the repair install, the system is setup to finish the install and nothing else unless you are going for a complete recovery and formatting before hand.

I feel that this is the only way right now of accomplishing your task. You might want to check the Microsoft Knowledge Base for this but I think you will find just about the same thing.

If you want your data back you are going to have to remove your hard drive and put it into another computer and then access the drive once the system recognises it and manually retrieve your data.

I think that this is the only way you are going to get your computer back running again.

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 01:46 PM

I had somebody suggest doing a "repair install" (???) But the directions were not clear and I've been trying to google on how to do that.

Repair install of Windows.
Insert Windows CD. Reboot computer. Allow the computer to boot to Windows CD. When prompted choose "Install Windows" at the first opportunity. Then at the second opportunity choose "REPAIR" (which is hitting the R key). Then let windows do a repair install. Theoretically this will not affect your data or programs, but I suggest making full backups first anyway, as backups are never a bad idea.

Also please note: Not all versions of Windows install CDs have the option for a Repair install. Let us know if that is true in your case.

NOTE: Choosing 'R' at the first opportunity will give you the Recovery Console and this is NOT what you want. You want to choose 'R' at the second opportunity.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 02:18 PM

Hi Albert, I believe he is in the middle of doing a repair install and as normal with Windows it will only continue with that install. What we have to find out is what the error is that stops the repair install? If we do not figure this out the only thing left is to reformat and install from scratch. He will have to take his hard drive and install it in another computer to get his dfata off.

If I am wrong please let some one let me know how to do this, it will be very helpful.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 08:06 AM

I would say - you really should backup all of your data IMMEDIATELY!

You may be able to access the disk using a Live Linux distro - or a DOS boot disk with an NTFS reader. Or even putting the hard drive in another system to save all of your stuff.

Next, when does the error message pop up? When you insert the disk, or after you enter the CD key? Are you using an original disk, or a copy of a disk? The exact error message is needed to help troubleshoot this without a format and clean install of Windows.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 aelfgifa

aelfgifa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 04:18 PM

Hi again,

I took the computer (I'm using a laptop now, my other machine is still out in my garage) to a shop yesterday to back up my data. They put my hard drive in another machine, did something, and saved my data for me. So, that is safely done. But I couldn't afford to have them reinstall Windows, so am going to have to figure this out somehow.

To the best of my recollection, "exactly" what happened is":

I followed the directions on the Stevens tutorial site that was recommended earlier in this thread. I put the CD in (yes, it is an original Windows XP disk and not a copy) when the tutorial told me to. I was able to follow the directions as written to the point where I got the second opportunity to type "R". The error message I got was that I could not run SetUp in safe mode. But . . . I can't boot in anything other than safe mode. The one time I was able to get to the point where I was prompted to enter my registration key, I got an error message that said I didn't have a valid version of Windows XP. Looking back, I wonder if the error message was referring to my hard drive (which I already know is messed up) because I do have a legal CD.

The other thing I did wrong is that a friend of mine suggested I edit my boot order. Since at the time, I had no idea what that meant, I misunderstood and edited my CMOS and BIOS settings pretty much at random: the first two options I got in the blue screen with white letters that you get when you hold down CTL-ALT and tap DEL repeatedly) to not only change the boot order but to change the settings for primary and secondary master and slaves because that just sounded like a promising thing to do. Yes, I now realize that was stupid. And no, I don't know what it was when I started because I forgot to write it down.

So all it does is cycle from shutting itself down to trying to reboot, getting to the bootup screen where the last line at the bottom is "searching for boot sector" (whatever that is), then it shuts down, beeps, and tries again. If I hit CTL-ALT and tap delete, I can get back to the blue screen with white letters that lets me edit BIOS and CMOS stuff but I have no idea how to change it back to what it was originally. If I edit the part that lets me choose boot order to where the only choice is CDROM, CDROM, CDROM, it will then read the Windows CD. But then, I get either the error message that I can't run Setup in safe mode or the error message that I don't have a valid copy of Windows. (It just dawned on me that maybe that means it isn't seeing Windows on my hard drive because I'm only letting it look at the CD-ROM ?????)

Sorry to be so verbose, but this is truly all I can remember. And everything I can remember. Is it even possible for me to complete a repair install? I'm getting the impression it is not :thumbsup:

aelfgifa

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 04:38 PM

The error message I got was that I could not run SetUp in safe mode. But . . . I can't boot in anything other than safe mode.

This is not how you install Windows. You must have the computer boot to the cd. Therefore the boot order for your computer must be 1)CD and then 2) Hard drive. Then you put in the cd, reboot the computer, and the computer will boot to the cd and install properly.

You must enter the bios to do this. Usually it is just by hitting the DEL key at boot up. Or maybe the F1 or F2.

Once inside look for 'boot order' and then change it so that it boots to cd first, hard drive second.

Sorry if you have already said this, but tell us exactly what model computer you have and we can tell you exactly how to do this.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#10 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 05:31 PM

And I've noticed a lot of problems lately with people who have attempted to do a repair install of Windows booting to the CD the first time, and then not realizing that they must not boot to the CD when the system Restarts. They wind up installing two copies of Windows to the hard drive.

You do not install Windows from within Windows, as Albert said. You install Windows from the Windows setup on the CD, and the CD must boot first. (Which is where all that stuff about getting into BIOS and changing your Boot settings came from.)

If you have all your data, you can use the Windows CD to delete the Windows partition, then make a new partition, then reinstall from scratch.

My best suggestion is to study the install guides.

Here's Michael Steven's clean install guide.

And here is Paul Thurrott's version, which has graphical screens so you can really get a handle on what you're supposed to be seeing.

Edited by Herk, 12 May 2006 - 05:32 PM.

#11 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 05:58 PM

A quote from an earlier post.

At the Microsoft site, there are directions for something called a repair install, which sounds like what I need. I put my disc in the drive, followed Microsoft's directions, Setup ran to the point where it told me it apparently couldn't read my existing version of Windows XP from my hard drive, which is no big surprises. So I put the CD in the drive and got an error message that this isn't a legal version of Windows XP.

I do apologize that I missed this. He says he does not have a legal copy of Windows and he is right the version he has is the Corporate Copy that was leaked years ago.

A repair install WILL NOT WORK. Two different versions of Windows. The only solution on this is a full reinstall and install all of his apps and Service Pack 2. Good that the data is going to be backed up and here is a little thing for reinstalling. It is from PC World.

Step-By-Step: Reinstall Windows =
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid...6,tk,urx,00.asp

Please print out the above article you will need it.

Have a good day folks.

Edited by ThorXP, 12 May 2006 - 05:59 PM.

#12 aelfgifa

aelfgifa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 01:22 AM

Hello again,

First of all, I *DO* have a legal copy of Windows. I bought my operating system, the folder is right next to me, and I have a registration key. Can I say this again? I have a legal CD. I did upgrade from Windows 98, but I don't see why this should be a problem (?) because I paid for that also. There was a reference to me having a "corporate version". (???) I don't know what this is.

Did I somehow buy the wrong thing? I'm not sure why you think I have two different versions of windows and am very confused here. I have a desktop computer (the one I'm trying to fix) and I have a laptop (that I am using now and praying I don't get a fresh infection of viruses). Each has a separate (and legally paid for) version of Windows XP Pro. Is it possible that I am mixing up the disks?

In answer to AF: I don't know exactly what model of computer I have. Some local store that has since gone out of business built it. I will go out in the garage and look to see if I can figure it out. If I buy a screwdriver, will I be able to tell from looking inside the box? All the original documentation got discarded when I came home from school.

Also, you say I should change my boot order from CD, CD, CD to CD then hard drive. This isn't one of my choices. My choices (other than DVD are four three letter words starting with "O" that are either Oxx-0, Oxx-1, Oxx-2, or Oxx-3. Sorry I don't remember what the other letters are and I hope to figure out how to hook everything back up tomorrow. When I get it put back together, maybe I can just cycle through each of these choices for second place in boot order in the hopes one of them turns out to be my hard drive?

Thank you for the tutorials - I will download them and read them.

aelfgifa

#13 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 06:44 AM

Ok. We can still find out what type of motherboard you have and what BIOS it uses. This way we can look up the info we need. Download Belarc Advisor and run it. It will create a report telling you what is in your computer. Tell us the
  • manufacturer of the mobo
  • model of mobo
  • manufacturer of BIOS
  • version of BIOS
See THIS for more info.

We'll get to the bottom of this. Persistence is the key to fixing a tough computer issue.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 07:13 AM

The one time I was able to get to the point where I was prompted to enter my registration key, I got an error message that said I didn't have a valid version of Windows XP. Looking back, I wonder if the error message was referring to my hard drive (which I already know is messed up) because I do have a legal CD.

From what you said you have an upgrade CD, not a fresh install CD. What Windows code did you enter - that for Win 98 or whatever you upgraded from, or the new one supplied with the upgrade version? I believe you need both.

The other thing I did wrong is that a friend of mine suggested I edit my boot order. Since at the time, I had no idea what that meant, I misunderstood and edited my CMOS and BIOS settings pretty much at random: the first two options I got in the blue screen with white letters that you get when you hold down CTL-ALT and tap DEL repeatedly) to not only change the boot order but to change the settings for primary and secondary master and slaves because that just sounded like a promising thing to do. Yes, I now realize that was stupid. And no, I don't know what it was when I started because I forgot to write it down.

You have to restore the settings for the primary (master) hard drive..
By changing the bios without knowing what you were doing you disabled the hard drive.

Go back into the bios and click restore defaults wherever you can, because as you said, you do not remember whet you changed or what you changed from.

#15 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 03:45 PM

Just to try to verify something could you give the first section of your key code here, not the whole thing just the first section. It seems strange that Windows keeps telling you that you have an invalid key code. It is either really invalid or it is being entered in wrong. Does it have any characters in it that look like capital "O" or the number zero "0" you could be entering it in wrong. Last case scenario you might want to talk to the manufacturer of your computer if it is like a Compaq etc for a new key code they will be able to give you one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users