Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Internet Connectivity

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AZrox

AZrox

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:00 PM

I'm looking to purchase my first laptop. I'm confused on what equipment and services I need to connect to the internet outside of home.

I was told I would need to purchase a network adapter and get a monthly subscription with a company  like at Verizon to have internet connectivity outside of home.

In my research I found that most laptops come with a network card.  Is the network adapter a different device all together?

Do I need the network adapter in places that have WiFi?

Thx!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:03 PM

There are few laptops that come with network cards that allow for cellular connection, pretty much all laptops for the last 6/7 years at least have had wireless network cards built in that connect to wifi networks.

If you have wifi you can go and purchase just about any laptop made in the last 5 years and be able to connect to it.

Outside the home you would either need to find a wireless hotspot (fairly common these days, Mcdonalds, Dunkin Donuts, libraries, etc all have wifi).

Use your cell phone as a hot spot (usually costs you more per month to unlock this capability, and you wont be able to use it much unless you have a lot of monthly data allowance)

Or get a cellular wireless card from like you said Verizon, or one of the others, again this is going to run you around 4-50 a month for a couple gigs of data. and you would either unplug it, or turn it off when connecting to wifi to save on data.

#3 AZrox

AZrox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:53 AM

Cool thanks Giant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users