Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer may affected - advice please

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 samam

samam

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:40 AM

Hi guys, I'm new here and need some advice - I don't know much about computers at all.

I know viruses (although not sure which ones) can copy personal information from computers but I was wondering if viruses can use your personal information and sign you up to websites (like a membership) and post things in them?  Or is it only possible to happen if someone were to physically sign themselves up onto a site personally?   

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 H.A.V Aravinda

H.A.V Aravinda

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:01 PM

Both options are possible... Cookie stealing/grabbing worms are there. and they are capable of stealing login sessions....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16426824

Keep you antivirus up to date and keep operating system fully patched.. 

and may be useful .. check this

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tracing-a-hacker/

#3 samam

samam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:09 PM

Thanks for the reply and tips.

Wow scary stuff - definitely need to update my antivirus software!

So if they got your details say from Facebook - they would be able to use this info and sign you up to a whole different sight entirely?  And create a profile?  With your name, age and things like that?  Am I understanding this correctly? - blooming heck if this is true.

#4 H.A.V Aravinda

H.A.V Aravinda

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:19 PM

Time to time facebook/yahoo will update their codes and apply security fixes to avoid such things.. Sometimes you may under gone a situation of sending automated emails to your contact details.. If you check you sent items it wll appear in sent items too.. Such effects can be there.. 

Use a good antivirus + good practices.. 

Antivirus itself cannot defend you if you are unaware of good practices 

Check these and some of good practices are well composed in layman's terms... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users