Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help editing multiple MP3 file properties

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Firefly1698

Firefly1698

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:25 AM

Hello,

I have a collection of around 1,000 mp3 files. Each file is named "Song title - Artist name." In the properties -> details tab I also have the song title and artist name added that way. I have all of these files on a USB flash drive that I play in my car's stereo. The problem I have is, the LCD display in my car is only showing the song title, not the artist name and I have tried all of the settings for my stereo. I can either show song title only or artist name only - not both at once. It appears that my stereo reads the file properties to display the song title because even though I named the windows files "Song title - Artist name," it is only showing the song title. Does anyone know of a way/program to mass edit my collection automatically so that in the file properties, it will add the artist name to the song title area also? This is the only way I can think of making it possible for my car stereo display to show both.

Thanks for any and all advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:13 PM

Not sure if the USB capable car stereo has that feature but did you check the manual already? By the way Firefly1698, :welcome: to Bleeping Computer Community. :)

Tekken

#3 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:26 AM

Your stereo is reading the MP3 tags imbedded in the files, and the "artist" tag is missing.

I just recently found a program called TagScanner that edits music files in any way you want. Creates tags from filenames. Creates filenames from tags. Database lookups for files. Coverart lookup and embedding. The list goes on....

This program has been a Godsend for me, as I have a HUGE music collection that started when CDs first came out. I've used various rippers down through the years, and my collection was anything but uniform. Drove me crazy.

Now (almost) all of my files are named   Artist - Album - Track# - Title.mp3 and each track includes artist, album, track, title, year, and genre tags, and has embedded cover art.

And best of all, it's totally free!!!  :guitar:

EDIT: I just re-read your post and now understand that your files appear to have both Artist and Track tags, but your stereo will only read one or the other. The fix can still be applied to all your files with TagScanner. Use the "Generate TAG from Filename" feature and put %title% in the template field. It can show you a preview of the result and has an undo option. Do one file at first to get the template the way you want it. Then throw all your files in, highlight  them all and let 'er rip. Set your stereo to display song titles, which should now include Title and Artist info in the Title TAG

Edited by PanickyD, 01 February 2014 - 12:51 AM.

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#4 Firefly1698

Firefly1698
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:45 AM

jhayz - I checked and it's not available and thank you for the welcome too!

PanickyD - Your solution worked for me! It took a little fumbling around the program, but I ended up figuring it out and renaming the tags as needed. Thank you so much!

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:37 AM

Good job PanickyD and thanks for stepping in view of the OP's resolution. :clapping:

Tekken

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users