Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comcast Gateway

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rossS

rossS

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:41 AM

Hey guys, for almost the last year we have been using a package from Comcast that offers around 20-25 Down and 4-6 Up. We were given a gateway(router/modem combo, I may be using the wrong terminology.)

Anyway, I get the feeling that the equipment isn't of the greatest quality. The wifi frequently drops out and the gateway has to be reset, etc. 

My first question is: Is it possible to use the gateway as just a modem and connect my own router? 

My other big issue stems from online gaming. Every console in my house(Xbox 360 and One) will show a "moderate NAT type." I've attempted nearly every fix I could find online, including port forward, which reset my NAT to open for about a day before switching back. Is this a hardware issue(wiring, gateway, etc) or possibly a service provider issue?

I greatly appreciate any answers!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:02 PM

If you want to save money, and have better access for Wireless & networking in your home, you need to do the following.  Buy a Motorola/Arris SB6141 modem.  Get a Wired router like the TP-Link TL-R600VPN.  Then get a switch like the GS-108.  Add to that a couple of access points (the Trendnet TEW-690ap works great for Wireless-N for me, the Netgear WN-802T-200 works great for Wireless-b/g devices.  For fallback when we loose electricity, I have the modem, router & a Trendnet TEW-638APB, connected to a APC UPS, 

The switch is with the rest of the gear, and then I have six wired connections, with one feeding a switch that the TEW-690 & our DirecTV HR44 DVR & Blu-Ray are conected through a 5-port switch.  The other Access Point is connected to the switch downstairs.  If you set the network up properly, you have enough coverage, that you do not have to worry about problems with dropouts, etc.

Gaming systems should be wired connection, not wireless for best results.

When I set up my router, I actually used GRC's DNSBench, to find the best DNS servers for my connection.  You have to load a custom set of servers, but it does better then Namebench.  With the Comcast Gateway, you cannot specify your own personal DNS Servers.  You are locked into what they want you to use.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:29 PM

Gateway units are problematic. Range of wifi signal may not be very good. If the unit goes bad it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot to see what the problem is.

Do you have Comcast phone service? If you do, you may or may not be able to purchase a telephony modem. Some areas do not allow for customer owned telephony modems.

You do have options.

1) Keep the gateway you currently have. Call Comcast and have it put into bridge mode. This will disable the wireless router function. You can then use your own router.

2) Return the gateway if it is not a telephony modem. Either rent a modem only unit from Comcast OR purchase a modem. Use your router with either option.

IF YOU PURCHASE A MODEM, KEEP THE RECEIPT AND THE BOX. KNOW WHERE THEY ARE AT ALL TIMES. Comcast has a history of "auditing" accounts and charging customers the rental fee for a "Comcast" modem which in reality is NOT a Comcast owned modem. The receipt will be your proof that you purchased it. The box will come in handy if it has the unit serial number on it.

IF you return your rented gateway device this is the canned speech I use concerning returned equipment.

When your equipment is picked up or turned in, GET A RETURNED EQUIPMENT RECEIPT. Make sure it documents that what you returned is a modem or tv boxes. If there are any stickers with serial or MAC numbers, make sure those numbers are on the receipt. Keep the receipt in a safe place, don't forget where you put it. Keep it until the middle of the next century. In the past, Comcast has billed customers for equipment that had been returned. Sometimes they lose track of the equipment and the receipt will be your proof that you turned it in to Comcast.

If you ship the equipment to Comcast, record tracking numbers. Keep those numbers in a safe place. You will need them later if Comcast bills you for the equipment.

You can also check the status of shipped items on the delivery company webpage. When you see it was delivered, print screen the delivery status. UPS also offers Track By Email. Use that option. You'll be notified when it is delivered. Save the email-again this will be proof it was received by Comcast.

Print out the delivery confirmation (if your computer crashes and you lose the info the print out will be your proof of return) This should also be kept in a safe place where you can get to it if needed.

I know from experience that having the receipts can save you a lot of headaches. I was able to pull out my receipts when a collection agency notified me I owed for Comcast equipment that had been returned.

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:41 PM

It actually does not stop the public portion of the wireless to still be enabled.  All it does when the Techs, place the unit in Bridge mode, is make it go into a DMZ+ mode, turn off personal wireless.  You will still see CableWifi and/or XfinityWifi still coming from your Gateway.  This is the list of Approved modems for people to purchase out of their own pocket, or will rent, that are Docsis 3.0.  http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Call Comcast, or go to http://www.dslreports.com/forum/comcastdirect and ask directly to a Tech, if you are allowed to activate your own Telephony Gateway in your area.  If you do not need phone as already mentioned, you would be best to go the route I did.

Edited by Greg62702, 01 February 2014 - 04:43 PM.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:38 AM

This if from an ex-Comcast tech:

The new Comcast gateway devices broadcast a second wi-fi signal turning them into a public Comcast hotspot. Putting the gateway device into bridge mode does not disable the public hotspot. It does however disable all router functions of the device -- it is not just the personal wi-fi that is disabled.

Bridging the gateway device disables the unit's router function. It isn't anymore complicated than that. OP wants a good dual band, N, gigabit router to replace the lousy built-in-router. He will also have full access to the router's functions so he can begin to appropriately address his NAT issues.

Whatever route you choose, if you still have issues with wifi drops out and modem resets, the connection experts at Comcast Help forum can help you by getting you to check your signal levels.

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,885 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:28 PM

It seems the mfgrs of the modem/router units for the broadband providers are just so much junk.  I don't know the impact of having a hotspot associated with my WIFI router on MY connection.  If I have to buy my own modem, that's fine, but I need my own router.  Checking of interference on WIFI can be as easy as downloading   inSSIDer and you can visually see adjacent channels and other WIFI routers throughout the band, besides your own.

#7 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:39 PM

It seems the mfgrs of the modem/router units for the broadband providers are just so much junk.  I don't know the impact of having a hotspot associated with my WIFI router on MY connection.  If I have to buy my own modem, that's fine, but I need my own router.  Checking of interference on WIFI can be as easy as downloading   inSSIDer and you can visually see adjacent channels and other WIFI routers throughout the band, besides your own.

I do not know what you are talking about.  Just because the providers do not let their customers do at will with the equipment they are leasing to their customers, that is why you and others seem to think it is junk.

I bought my own equipment, because I do Network design for a living as a second income, along with computer/server hardware repairs.  If I did not need the ability of having expansion for testing equipment on my network, while I am setting up their routers, Access Points, servers, then I would have chose to lease the Arris Telephony Gateway.

Every person is different, when they chose to either lease the equipment from the ISP if they are allowed, or purchase their own.  To give you a little insight, my home LAN is the size of a small SoHo office setup, using Enterprise grade equipment.

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,885 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:06 AM

It just seems that the quality of the equipment initially installed by the ISP does not last as long.  Then the ISP wants you to buy a replacement and pay lease too.  Both DSL and cable modems as provided are bottom end units built by various mfgrs.  Motorola and Cisco being commmon for both. 

#9 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:25 PM

It just seems that the quality of the equipment initially installed by the ISP does not last as long.  Then the ISP wants you to buy a replacement and pay lease too.  Both DSL and cable modems as provided are bottom end units built by various mfgrs.  Motorola and Cisco being commmon for both.

Incorrect. It is the environment that the equipment is in, if the customer has a properly grounded electrical system,if they are in a Lightening zone, etc.

I have had equipment in the past few on providers, that lasted over five years. The equipment could have operated to another five, if I did not switch.

You are making assumptions. There is nothing wring with the equipment that your provider leases to you.

#10 ltdave

ltdave

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:01 PM

i am needing some help in this area too...

i got a call offering more channels, and 100mbps downloads for less money but i had to have their gateway in order to have the phone service (which ive never even hooked to a telephone)...

as soon as i hooked their garbage up my printer is no longer found on the network and my daughter is getting very impatient with me...

i tried daisy chaining my old router that worked beautifully through the gateway to the printer but to no avail...

ive been told i need to change the printer IP to match the gateway IP but i dont know what the gateway IP is and i cant log onto it at 192.168.0.1.  it gives me a list of options (websites for lack of a better term) but they always time out...

#11 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:18 PM

umm you already have a thread going.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users