Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Satellite L500D won't boot

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 iiJaiden

iiJaiden

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:14 AM

Hi
I have a toshiba satellite L500D laptop and it is unable to boot. The laptop was booting fine earlier today but now it appears to turn on but the screen is blank.
I was able to get the computer to boot and open advanced boot options. I chose start windows normally and it came to the starting windows page in which it finished the animation and then froze. It was the standard screen but it had unusual pink squares on the screen.

Please help this is urgent
I also don't have access to any other computers, my other laptop's hard drive has broken twice in a row and have opted for a new laptop but this laptop is important and it needs to be fixed

Thanks,
Jaiden

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:19 AM

If these pink squares are video artifacts: "It was the standard screen but it had unusual pink squares on the screen." My first guess is that you may have a bad stick of ram or failing video chipset. If you can burn a dvd or cd or have a flash drive (back it up first you will need to format it) run memtest86: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

To boot to a flash drive (plug the flash drive in when the computer is off) with the computer off, power the computer on, start tapping F12 on your keyobard and use the arrow keys to boot to the flash drive or dvd (whichever you use for memtest86) You should run 3 passes and have no errors. If you have errors you will need to pull a stick of ram and retest, always unplug power and remove the battery when removing ram or putting ram in.

If you can not get to the post screen (the toshiba screen) and you only have a black screen. You can try to remove a stick of ram, if you have 2 remove 1 and try to power on, if it still has a black screen, put the pulled stick back in and pull out the other stick. You will want to try both sticks of ram in both slots eventually.

Edited by zingo156, 31 January 2014 - 09:28 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 iiJaiden

iiJaiden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:24 PM

Hi zingo
I won't be able to burn a cd or create a USB as I don't have access to a computer but I will try the ram suggestion. I do have 2 2GB Sticks.
I have managed to get it to show the toshiba screen but that's only when I leave it for a couple of hours and try booting it normally. But it doesn't get far.
If it helps the computer has had fan problems and has overheated a couple of times but I haven't been running it long enough to overheat it. I do have a laptop fan but I left it at my cousins and won't be able to get it until Monday
I shall try what you suggested about the ram sticks and will give any results. I will also try to get access to a computer

Thanks
Jaiden

#4 iiJaiden

iiJaiden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:30 PM

Hi
Thought it would be a good idea to post this.
The computer just booted normally after leaving it for a day, Didn't touch ram sticks or anything. The boot was a bit slow but it is running now. I'm afraid to shut it down now. I'm going to upload any files I need and try to create the USB mentioned above while it's running. If it fails again I will mention it here

Jaiden

#5 iiJaiden

iiJaiden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:33 PM

Hi
Sorry for 3 random posts but the useable ram on the machine has increased. I am running windows 7 32 bit and the usable ram went from 1.xxGB (forgot exact) to 2.87GB usable (4GB) installed

Just thought I'd mention it
Jaiden

#6 iiJaiden

iiJaiden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:48 AM

Hello
The computer appears to be running normally again, booted fine 3 or 4 times now. Anyway if it starts acting up again I will create a post!

Thanks for your help
Jaiden

#7 iiJaiden

iiJaiden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:59 AM

Never mind it's crashing frequently now, running the USB will post results

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:15 AM

If the computer is overheating, dust out the exhaust and intake slot (where the fan pushes out and pulls in air), overheating a computer even 1 time can cause permanent damage. If your ram size is changing at random you likely have a bad stick of ram or perhaps a problem with the motherboard/cpu ram controller. Dust out the computer first and then run Memtest86.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#9 iiJaiden

iiJaiden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:22 AM

Hi

I have got a new computer now (FYI)

Also the computer is on its fan again and I will run memtest after cleaning out the fan, does it need to be opened up in any way?

Jaiden

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:38 AM

It is always nice to have a new computer :)

With the old one, if you can get enough air through the intake and exhaust you probably won't need to take it apart. As long as the fan does not have problems canned air should be enough to clean most of the dust out. If you can feel hot air coming out of the exhaust when the computer heats up, it should be good to go.

I still might suspect a ram problem because you mentioned the ram size changed and this might go along with your pink squares problem. If ram amount shows incorrectly at a bios level there is some issue with the ram, or the memory controller which is probably part of your main board or cpu. Video defects usually point to the video chip set or the ram. Memtest86 should show errors if there is a problem with ram.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users