Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DEFRAGING

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:57 AM

HI,I did not know this may go,but i thought i would start here.

I ran the AUSLOGISTICS DEFRAG program on my sons PC and when it got done there was what look like a lot area that needed to be defraged but it would not go any farther so looked into their AUSLOGISTICS BOOST program and ran it and it came up with 3.7GB of disk space that could be recovered,but my

question is,is this a legitimate program not like some them that are just a bait&switch program wanting you to buy their program.

The AUSLOGISTICS program is a free download,but is it safe to run their program to clean up his PC,there were some problems in the registry which is one

that should be left alone and just clean up the rest of the so-called problems that program came up with,your input would be appreciated before going further,thank,s

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:42 AM

I use Defraggler for that.... but Windows itself is more than capable.

edit: here's the Windows commands; http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff458356.aspx

Edited by TsVk!, 31 January 2014 - 09:50 AM.

#3 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:21 PM

What is the scenario you're running into where you're seeing significant performance degradation due to fragmentation? Automatic defrag was added in Vista and it does its job pretty well.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#4 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:44 AM

HI,This PC has WINXP,SP3 as a OS,the problem i was having with AUSLOGISTICS is it would not totally defragg the HDD it would stop way short of what i normally see when i use the 

defragg tool.

Went and downloaded DEFRAGGLER and it defragged the whole HDD to the end and PC seems to run better now,probably what may have not helped is when i did analysis of HDD it

said it had 3.7GB of garbage in recycle bin,also cleaned up temp. files. 

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,971 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:13 AM

Auslogics is quite a good defrag in my opinion, I use it myself. It is used as a leader to promote other utilities marketed by Auslogics, so I suggest you disregard anything except the defragmenter itself.

Auslogics default settings are conservative, it can be made more aggressive using menu options, but the potential advantage is uncertain. One thing that may be undesirable about a defragmenter that makes very large changes to the file layout, is that it can be using a different strategy to the Windows standard defragmentation and file optimization strategy. That means if you then use the Windows defragmenter, (or when the boot file optimization that exists from XP onward automatically operates) the two will be altering each other's strategy, not actually correcting fragmentation.

Another consideration is that if you are used to the end result of defrag on older versions of Windows using the FAT32 file system, you will probably expect defrag to push all the drive contents together at the start of the drive. This is usually not the optimum result on an NTFS file system, so sometimes it appears an NTFS volume is not completely defragmented, when in fact it is optimally arranged.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 Nostromov

Nostromov

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:14 PM

Automatic defrag was added in Vista and it does its job pretty well.

Meh, there are MANY defrag strategies available for Windows.. Several could be categorized as useful (depending for what the machine is used)

MyDefrag, formerly JKDefrag, is *pretty* neat - in regards how the author approaches defragmentation; and the web site has some useful info...

Although, like O'Neal said, none of it is really necessary; and the Auslogics Disk Defrag looks 2 be cool.

Edit:

In case anyone's interested, if you need a boot-GUI-frontend-thingy for it, ScanDefrag was pretty cool to use (Blue Orb web page is dead, the domain is gone; err 0k, looks to have moved, here); && it's also @ Softpedia:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/ScanDefrag.shtml

Edited by Nostromov, 04 March 2014 - 09:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users