Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inquiry

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fudgenstein

fudgenstein

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:40 AM

Is there an app that i can use that will scan my computer and tell me what files are corrupt on my windows explorer and elt me go somewhere and download them by chance? Without having to totally re install the whole operating system ? :bounce:  :thumbup2:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:34 AM

sfc /scannow

from an elevated command prompt will do this. (that being command prompt run as administrator)

#3 mavengroup

mavengroup

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:30 AM

Hi fudgenstein,

For this post I am going to assume you can boot into Windows.  Here is what I would try (unless you feel you have a hard disk drive that is failing).

Visit Tweaking.com (http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html) and download their Windows Repair (All-In-One).  For your Hard Disk Analysis (which includes SFC suggested by TsVk!) just run through the first few steps of the program.  This will perform a malware scan with Malwarebytes, a disk check, and SFC scan and perform a windows restore backup and registry backup (I am not sure you even need to run the last step which is a bunch of repairs for windows internals).

I am not sure of your technical skill level but here are some tools I use if you feel your are working with a drive that is going bad...

1. To clone the drive I use Terabyte Unlimited Drive Image for Linux (http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm) which will clone just about anything (Windows, MAC, Linux).  Basically it is a boot ISO that will allow you to backup a hard disk drive.  (Pretty simple to use with a nice menu and low cost).

2. Another thing you might try to get your drive in shape is SpinRite (https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm).  This program always seems to have many opinions about it but I do have success with it getting a drive or data that is not working... working.  Once this is used I move back to Windows to check the drive health with Crystal Disk Info (a free program at http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html).

Please note that with all of these links that suggest downloads, make sure you click on the download link for the software and not a sponsored AD on the sites.  All of the software is 100% trusted as I use it all the time, but some of the sites contain ads with download links for software I know nothing about.

Good luck!

Edited by mavengroup, 31 January 2014 - 05:30 AM.

Thank You,

John Dubinsky
www.mavengroup.net

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:09 AM

Hi Maven... welcome aboard.

Let us know how you go fudgenstien...

#5 fudgenstein

fudgenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:00 AM

I am at a loss for what to do,  i ran the first program maven suggested first off it got about 6 minutes into the mal ware program and just stopped responding. went to the sfc program and it stopped responding after 39%. Everything was working fine just a few days ago....now everything stops responding after a bit...Skype in the middle of typing a im it stops responding and then recovers then stops yet again...I even went so far as to dl a new win 7 operating system from a website and burned it i thought to a ISO disc, when i press f9 at start up and try to boot it from the disc it will not and it goes to windows was not properly shut down and all the safe modes you can start in. I cannot restore to an earlier time as the two the system shows both fail, i wondered why only two restore points show anyway but i guess that is for another day. I cannot afford a new windows 7 disc. I cannot seem to restore or fix this system so...any other suggestions i will be more then happy to try as well thanking you all in advance....i guess relying on this computer as my only source of income as a DJ was not a wise choice and poor planning lol 

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:10 AM

Sounds like a malware issue mate... sorry.

Start a new thread here, and include your information from the guide here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users