Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Files being made in C Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ScotsmanLinkin

ScotsmanLinkin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:35 AM

A couple of days ago I noticed that there was random files being made inside my C drive, they weren't in any folders, just there as soon as you opened the drive. The earliest file that was created was on the 12th of January and the latest was the 28th of January. These files are all around the same size of 3kb and all have no extension, they are just listed as File. The files are titled in a random assortment of Letters and Numbers inside a pair of { }. I have ran scans with Norton Internet Security and MalwareBytes, both were a full scan in Safe mode and both came back clear. I have been told that the name of some of the files are similar to what you would find in Task Scheduler, but after comparing the Logs from Task Scheduler I can't find any relation. I have opened the files in Notepad also to see if I can find anything among the gibberish that could provide a clue as to what program is making these files. Any help in identifying what these files are would be appreciated and if I can stop them being made.

Edited by hamluis, 31 January 2014 - 12:57 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mavengroup

mavengroup

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:56 AM

Hi ScotsmanLinkin,

Lets start with a second opinion scan to make sure you do not have anything weird going on.

A simple way to do this would be to use HitManPro.  You can download a free trial of it here:

http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro/

- Right at the top of this page your will see a link for the 32 or 64 bit version for Windows.  Choose the one related to your OS and save it to your desktop.

- When you start the program choose next, agree to the terms and then select that you only want to do a one time scan.

- Perform the scan.  If it finds anything you will be prompted to activate the software to remove what it finds (just do the trial and enter an email address).

Finally, in order to help more are you able to post a screenshot of what your are seeing in Windows Explorer?

I hope this helps.

Thank You,

John Dubinsky
www.mavengroup.net

#3 ScotsmanLinkin

ScotsmanLinkin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:43 PM

Hi ScotsmanLinkin,

Lets start with a second opinion scan to make sure you do not have anything weird going on.

A simple way to do this would be to use HitManPro.  You can download a free trial of it here:

http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro/

- Right at the top of this page your will see a link for the 32 or 64 bit version for Windows.  Choose the one related to your OS and save it to your desktop.

- When you start the program choose next, agree to the terms and then select that you only want to do a one time scan.

- Perform the scan.  If it finds anything you will be prompted to activate the software to remove what it finds (just do the trial and enter an email address).

Finally, in order to help more are you able to post a screenshot of what your are seeing in Windows Explorer?

I hope this helps.

I did the HitmanPro scan and it found nothing that required to be deleted, I have attached a Screen Capture of what my Drive looked like when I had noticed the files being created. 

Attached File  Captures.PNG   63.5KB   0 downloads

#4 mavengroup

mavengroup

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:53 PM

Glad the machine is clean.

Looks like this has something to do with your Symantec/Norton Software....

I am seeing this post:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/7b861402-aadc-4f33-933f-e5adc67bf707/guidnamed-files-in-root-directory

and this post:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Unknown-Files-in-ROOT-Directory/td-p/689859

Unfortunately neither of these gives a good solution.

If you have your Norton Reinstallation information you could uninstall Norton, delete the files and install Microsoft Security Essentials and see if they come back (this is a lot of work) but at least you would know what the cause is.

Let us know what else you find out and your final solution.  I will post back if I find anything else.

Thank You,

John Dubinsky
www.mavengroup.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users