Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network controller?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:28 PM

Finished setting up all my machines on the new router today all features working correctly, I went into device manager just now and noticed my network controller has the yellow badge of not working.  Hit properties says the drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28) yet everything is working fine, don't make much sense.

Phil

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:02 PM

Then you need to go to the manufacturer of the computer or motherboard, and download the onboard network chipset drivers.  Makes very good sense.

#3 stillgrey

stillgrey

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:09 PM

can you compare your device manager to another PC?  I do not have network controller.  As Greg said, it may be something specific to your MB

But If everything is working that you want to work, don't worry about it

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,742 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:22 AM

Hi it is not a matter of what to do but why does everything work perfectly, it is a new board I have the CD which I looked over last night.  The program shows all installed no issues, yesterday I went on the Netgear site to load what I needed for, streaming, printing etc.  At the time I saw no need to check hardware everything went fine with no hitches, I will go back on their site to see if this is a common occurrence.  At this point it is an anomaly, for now it ain't broke don't fix it!

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:34 AM

I am not sure which way you are connecting to your router, wireless or wired. If you have wireless and it is working the missing driver is most likely for the onboard wired NIC, if you currenlty use a wired connection then it would most likely be the wireless driver that was missing.

Each one is a different device and requires it's own driver.

Edited by zingo156, 31 January 2014 - 09:35 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:39 AM

Generally...wireless adapters appear as "WLAN" while the wired adapter appears as "network adapters" in Windows (in Device Manager).

As stated, if you are connecting wirelessly...there's no need to worry about the wired NIC driver.

Louis

#7 stillgrey

stillgrey

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:43 AM

If you loaded stuff for a Netgear router on your PC, that is probably where the yellow bang came from for Network Controller.  Not sure why you would have to load anything for a router

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,742 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:48 AM

The box is wired where all the Netgear setup was done, the laptops are not all function fine.  To me if the network adapter was not working the box should not be able to get on line.  All three are wireless to the printer all work fine, for now I will let it alone until I hit the Netgear blog.

Phil

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,742 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:26 AM

Used the Gigabyte disk, it shows all chip set stuff installed I still hit the butt to try a reinstall.  No change, also noticed if I let it sit watching device manager the menu jumps every few seconds as if it is refreshing.  Can't fool with it now have to pickup a couple of boxes that need some attention that has to come first.

Phil

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,742 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

Decided to take shot at getting the network controller thing fixed this AM.  I went on the MS site down loaded their latest driver, I went into control panel and deleted the previous driver.  I unpacked and loaded the new driver, rebooted and nothing right to square one.  Not being happy I got my Win7 pro disk figuring I would try sys repair, Ok F8 boot to the CD load files goes off I hit repair and get a message not compatible insert sys disk.  Now I am scratching my head, this is the legally purchased disk which I used to load this machine as soon as I loaded it I went to MS update activated and got a gazillion updates what the heck gives???

Edited by OldPhil, 04 February 2014 - 04:43 PM.

#11 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:40 PM

The problem is that you are doing it wrong.  Post the manufacturer & model# of the motherboard.  Also what version of Windows 7 that you are using (home, pro, ultimate), also if this is the 32-bit or 64-bit version.

Basically what should happen is the following.  Windows Device Manager when you open it, will show a Yellow Exclamation mark, on any devices that do not have drivers installed.  When you load the disc that came with the motherboard, then right click on the trouble device, you will choose to "Update driver".  When you choose to update the driver, you will be asked either to allow Windows to automatically install, or you can install the drivers.

Choose to install the drivers yourself, and point the location when it asks, to the D:\ drive, which should be your DVD drive.  If different, you need to choose the correct CD/DVD drive that has the disk that holds the drivers, or a USB Pen drive, if you are using that to hold the files.

When Windows goes to find the drivers, it will then attempt to install them, and one of two things will happen.  Either Device Manager will update and the Yellow Exclamation mark will go away, and the device will now work properly with Windows, or the device driver is invalid, so you end up with the device still showing the Yellow exclamation mark.

All the hardware info utility on the disc that came with the motherboard is doing, is making sure that there is no faulty chips or devices attached to the motherboard.  It is totally different from what Device manager is.  Basically the utility you are looking at, is just for information purposes, and also allows you to load drivers from the disc, to the hard drive.

#12 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,742 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:40 PM

Greg62702 Please take a moment to read the full post each and every step has been done several times in every which way, my system, op sys all in my signature.  Post #7 indicates it may be a Net Gear thing as everything is working perfectly.

Phil

#13 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,742 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:10 PM

Might have a lead if I can contact the fellow in the link below, he has the same same issue!  I will mail Tom HW with a link to the post.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/245788-49-ethernet-controller-yellow-exclamation-problem

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:23 PM

I would try running Intel's Inf update utility. The one that came with the install disk may be out of date for the hardware. It will run and tell you if anything has to be updated and will do nothing if everything is okay. Could be worth trying.

infinst_autol.exe

Run this easy to use Intel® Driver Update Utility and it will "automatically" tell you if you need to update your chipset INF file, and if so, will prompt you to install and you are done. This will save you a lot of time not only on your chipset download but the most common files needed for your system.
The Intel® Chipset Device Software installs the Windows* INF files. An INF is a text file that provides the operating system with information about a piece of hardware on the system. In the case of the current Intel Chipset Device Software, that information is primarily the product name for the piece of hardware. This allows the operating system to show the correct name for that piece of hardware in Device Manager.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 February 2014 - 05:24 PM.

#15 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:30 PM

Greg62702 Please take a moment to read the full post each and every step has been done several times in every which way, my system, op sys all in my signature.  Post #7 indicates it may be a Net Gear thing as everything is working perfectly.

Phil

Really cannot tell anymore, due to you have so many posts about so many different types of computers.  I never trust signatures for equipment, due to a lot of people may have had that gear a long time ago, and never updated, so I and a lot of other people, never trust what people post as their gear in their signatures.

That is why we ask those questions, just as if you are talking face to face to someone about this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users