Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem booting windows XP installation disk and Dell computors

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 oldschoolguy

oldschoolguy

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:25 PM

Anyone have any information on a particular problem with dell computors booting from the cd rom drive or dvd drive. My problem is I have tried to do a boot from my XP installation cd and the resource cd (both bootable discs) to bring windows up into recovery console. Both these disks were included in my purchase of the unit direct from Dell. After doing some checking on this issue i found many suggestions on how it might be done. So far it doesn't work the conventional way just pop it in and boot. doesn't work if you reset the boot sequence, and it doesn't work if you try to disable the SATA drive, and different variations of turning on and off either of the two optical drives. After selecting boot cdrom at the boot option window it always says cdrom is unavailable. Now Dell has not posted a solution to this issue on the support web site it only suggests the doing the same steps i have tried. Several users have this issue which have posted in various blogs but no one seems to have a fix. Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:57 AM

What is the model of this Dell.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 oldschoolguy

oldschoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:59 AM

hi and thanks for your question, the machine is a 4700 and has two optical drives one cd rom player and one dvd player

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:16 PM

Do you have at least SP1 installed.

Have you tried pressing F12 at startup to change the boot order so the optical drive is first, the hdd second?

Is the disc in good condition?

Edited by dc3, 31 January 2014 - 02:42 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:14 PM

Hi, If the computer does not boot off of the Optical Drive after selecting it by hitting F12 for the Boot Device menu................

First Thing to try is unhooking one of the drives. Sometimes that works. Try each one separately. Notice that I said unplug, not turn off as You tried.

If that fails examine the disk for damage. Hold it up to a Light and see if there is any damage. Holding it up to the light helps as it will shine through the damaged part. Check to be sure that the shiny silver surface is clean. I use Isopropyl Alcohol for cleaning.

Hopefully You have not marked on the disks with a Ball Point pen which damages the disk or put stickers on them as that can unbalance the disk.

The XP installation CD is the one You need for the recovery console. My recollection is that the other Bootable resource disk is to run the Dell Diagnostics.

It is also possible that the drive(s) have gone bad.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:47 PM

If you have a USB keyboard and or mouse check this blog.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:36 PM

JohnC_21,

That is a good suggestion, I knew that the 4700 came with PS2 Keyboard and Mouse so I never thought of USB being used. We used use a HP 4 port KVM+Speaker & Microphone switch at work. This one in fact what I liked was You could leave the audio focus on one computer while switching the KB/Mouse/Video. It wasn't cheap but it was nice.

Thanks for that suggestion

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#8 oldschoolguy

oldschoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:56 PM

Hi, dc3 Yes it actually has sp3 installed, all the updates are current. Yes to your 2nd ? I tried to change the boot sequence. I also went into the setup menu and changed the sequence there. Listed the optical drive 1st. then turned off the 2nd optical drive to see if there was any conflic, Then flipped it around and did oppisite 2nd drive 1st, and unplugged the first, and the other things i listed in my post. Yes to the 3rd question. Both drives work i can play a cd listen to music and also on the dvd player can put in the resource cd after the system boots and  used the utilities program on it to check the system.

to rotor123 yes to your question, it was when i had the whole unit apart and disconnected the cables to try the boot when i thought about contacting Dell. Because at that point i was getting nowhere. I have read online in other blogs many users have this problem same excact issue and at this point have not found a fix. Pulling my hair out !!!

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:31 PM

Are you using a USB keyboard or Mouse as I posted? If not, what version BIOS do you have? I noticed this fix for version A03. I am not sure if this means floppy detection or CD disk detection.

13) Updated diskette media detection after attempting CD boot

#10 oldschoolguy

oldschoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:38 PM

Hi, JohnC_21

I don't even know what a usb keyboard is, i have the one that comes standard with a pc purchase from Dell. Not sure what version of bios i have, never did anything with it. Where do i find out that info?. FYI this computor doesn't have a diskett drive only two optical drives and one hard drive, if that matters.

#11 oldschoolguy

oldschoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:41 PM

Also they keyboard and mouse plug into the back with a regular jack plug not a USB connector so i assume it's not what you suggested.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:35 PM

Yep, then you are using the standard PS/2 keyboard and mouse. Does this computer have a floppy drive?

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:24 PM

Hi, Just for reference you can go into the BIOS settings and it will show the BIOS version. I'm a little surprised You are having so many problems as I Reloaded many a Dell Dimension and the only ones I had trouble with were the ones that had bad CD or DVD drives.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#14 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:02 PM

If the drives work as you say they do, and you changed the boot order as you say you have, then it should work. (So I doubt there is a solution.) Perhaps you could disconnect both optical drives and try using an external usb dvd drive, or look into creating a bootable usb thumb drive with the XP installation. In fact, to troubleshoot the boot order selection, you could take any old bootable usb thumb drive (imo it's much easier to get some basic linux onto a bootable usb thumb drive than XP), stick that in and try to boot to it - not to install linux but just to see if you can successfully get it to boot to usb.

#15 oldschoolguy

oldschoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:43 PM

Sure doesn't make alot of sense to me, but as i have said tried just about everything i could think of and logically it should work. The cd's i have are readable when the system is up. obviously the drives work because i have put the cd into the each drive and was able to read them and listen to music. Te computor I am working on has had some problems with a defender virus about a year ago and Dell worked on it when we had a service contract saying looks like we removed the virus, I have been working on this thing all week now which can be seen in a previous post. This is sort of the last thing i wanted to try and do to see if could be saved before we ultimatly end up reinstalling it fresh. I am an old retired guy and not real good with computors, really wish we didn't need one but with the way everything is connected to the internet now my wife and I are stuck with it. So do I get that bios version if i go to the f12 boot option page? maybe if i try to install a new bios on this it would work. Thanks everybody for all your help so far.

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users