Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automatically Logged Out Immediately After Logging In Windows

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Halconnen

Halconnen

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 10 May 2006 - 07:53 PM

I found this file named userinit.exe in my startup applications. Checked on your website database that this is a harmful file so decided to delete it. Before I delete a pop up came up saying that if I delete this file user can not log in. I thought this was just virus tactic so deleted the file anyway.
Next time turned on my computer, Window XP still running, but when I typed in my user password I was able to log in, but got automatically logged off at the same time.
I clicked F8 when starting up and tried running the system in all the modes available (Including the Safe mode) Window still running normally but still gets automatically logged out everytime.
Now I cannot access to all my setting and files and do not know how to change anything that is causing the problem.
I am running Windows XP on an IBM thinkpad30.

Many thanks for replies.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 10 May 2006 - 08:10 PM

Do you still have the recovery disk from IBM? If you do, you can restore windows and replace the file. What type of XP do you have, Home or Pro? Also, what are the specs on your laptop?

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#3 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2006 - 08:12 PM

You shouldnt of just deleted the file. You should have had a spyware program take it out.

Do you still have the IBM recovery disc?

Nice idea Yoda that should restore everything to the factory settings.

Edited by need TOS, 10 May 2006 - 08:14 PM.

Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#4 Halconnen

Halconnen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 10 May 2006 - 08:17 PM

thanks for replying. By the recovery disk, do you mean something from IBM, or a Windows XP media?
Mine is Windows XP Pro.
Bought the laptop refurbished from factory, so has a license, but doesn't reali have a media disk, may need to buy one.

#5 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2006 - 08:20 PM

A disc from IBM that should say OPERATING SYSTEM at the top or something like that. It is made to restore all the files.
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2006 - 08:49 PM

Process File: userinit.exe
Process Name: Userinit Logon Application

Description: Userinit.exe is a key process in the Windows operating system. On boot-up it manages the different start up sequences needed, such as establishing network connection and starting up the Windows shell. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

Note: userinit.exe is also a process which is registered as the Satiloler Trojan. This Trojan allows attackers to access your computer, stealing passwords, Internet banking and personal data. It is a registered security risk and should be removed immediately.

Actually since this file could have just been a virus I do not think the member was wrong to delete this file. I would have delted it also.

Halconnen = When logging into safe mode can you log into the administrator account? If you can and if it stays in there you can try this to run system restore and try to go back to at lease two days before you deleted the file. When this is done (if you can) just exit out and reboot and see what happens.

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2006 - 09:18 PM

Checked on your website database that this is a harmful file so decided to delete it.

Yes, but it also says that it's in C:\recycled, not C:\System32.

Here is a fix that may work. It assumes that your CD drive is D: - if it is another letter, replace D: in the instructions with the correct drive letter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users