Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Starting [Non-booting] Windows 8 from Cold Boot

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wyns

wyns

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:51 PM

I got very strange scenario.

I have Toshiba L300-1FS Laptop.

A year ago, upgraded to Win 8.

Now was doing some updates and Laptop stuck on something.

Restarted, had some issues.

Restored to earlier date.

Restarted computer.

Windows logo came with dotted status circle and then just mouse cursor on screen.

It means Windows 8 did not boot FULLY. No desktop or Charms screen to run any app or application.

Restarted to get to BIOS but no luck no option for F2/ESC/F12/C etc.

Cannot rebuild the machine as it does not give me option to boot from CD (not listening to  F12 or C)

No Windows shortcut to force Windows  to boot from scratch or option to go to troubleshoot menu or safe mode if it exists.

Any help or clue will be appreciated.

Regards

AliS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:48 AM

8 does not work with older hardware, is what a lot of us have found.  You have two choices at this point.  Reinstall Windows 7, if that was what was on it, or make the jump from Windows to Xubuntu 12.04 lts.  I came across that 8 would run on my daughters Acer Aspire a0532h, but we kept having BSOD's, due to the APU.  Since it was EOL (End Of Life) hardware, there are no updates at Intel.com or Acer.  So back went on it Windows 7 pro.

#3 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:54 AM

Do you have the latest bios update from 2010?  http://www.toshiba.co.uk/innovation/download_drivers_bios.jsp?service=UK  Your unit will run Windows 7 64-bit, so you may just want to stick with 7, if you continue to run into issues with 8, or like I stated, move over to Xubuntu.

Edited by Greg62702, 31 January 2014 - 08:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users