Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Folder over 100GB

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bhavd85

bhavd85

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:55 PM

Hi All,

My computer has been getting slower and slower recently, so thought I would do some house keeping. After some investigation it appears that my Windows Folder is over 100GB! I suspect I have some sort of Virus or Malware running on my pc.

So far I have tried:

1. Deleting the Temp files, didn't make much of a dent in the free space, there was about 500mb
2. Running a Full AVG scan then a Malware Bytes Scan and a CCleaner scan in safe mode and haven't dound any threats

The hard disk has never failed on me, so I know its not corrupt.

Any help / advice is much appreciated!

Thanks

Bhav

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:59 PM

Download WinDIrStat. It will give you a good idea of what is taking up your disk space.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windirstat/

#3 proffa

proffa

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:49 PM

have you try bootvis program? That can be reson why windows is growing whole time..

c:\windows\system32\logfiles\wmi look if this is file that is very big.. If you have try this prog, you have to tell it to stop tracing..

Edited by proffa, 30 January 2014 - 06:55 PM.

#4 bhavd85

bhavd85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:52 PM

Hi All,

Just ran WinDirStat

I can see that - C:/WINDOWS/System32/config/systemprofile/Local Settings/Temp/

has a large number of file that have the following - Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0-KB2756918_20130909_022609451-Msi1.txt types of name.

Any idea what these files are ? Can they be removed, this accounts for 63GB worth of data! so half way there if I can wipe out the lot!

#5 proffa

proffa

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:29 PM

Dont worry, delete all the files from C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temp folder.

you can also try ATF Cleaner

there can be files what are in use but you can skip that files and delete everything else

Edited by proffa, 31 January 2014 - 03:33 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:30 PM

You can use TFC to delete all temporary files.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users