Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comcast speed issues

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RicoTheNinja

RicoTheNinja

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:53 PM

Hey there, first off I would like to let you know I am using Comcast as a provider and am supposed to get 50mbits down and 10-12mbits up. The issue im having is with the upload side. Going into detail, the speeds are like this (56-60 down, .90-1 up.) I've had this issue before and fixed it with a new comcast issued modem. Now this modem was a modem and that was all the one that I changed from was a modem/router combo and could reach my tv upstairs but the new combo I was using, the comcast modem only + a ea6300v1 linksys gigabyte router) was not reaching my upstairs area. So we called and got the combo modem back. It worked for a few days and then went back to the 56/.90 issue. The craziest thing is that I can connect to a Hawaii server on speedtest.net and get this

Image>>
0IyYsY7.png

Now keep in mind thats 4323 miles away

Now when I connect to a speedtest.new COMCAST server in Atlanta Georgia it gets this
WKKbQjy.png

Thats only 320 miles away

Now what I want to know is what the hell is causing this issue? On the comcast official speed test I get "perfect" speeds according to the test but speedtest.net shows differently

If anyone could help me that would be perfect!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

Run the test at http://www.speedtest.comcast.net.  You cannot rely on just what the servers are used at speedtest.net, due to they are going to vary due to the following:  Congestion on the server, congestion on the network going to an from the server you are testing.  What type of connection the test server is using, which most times is the same or lesser then what you have.

I really would not worry about it.  I would run GRC's DNSBench, to find the best DNS servers for you to use.  As for expanding your wireless, you should be using Access Points, not another router on your network.

I use the Motorola/Arris SB6141 modem and TP-Link TL-R600VPN wired router.  For Wireless, I have three Access Points in my house for coverage.  One in the basement for fall-over, when we use power, so we still have wifi when the router & modem are running off of the UPS power.  One in our Living Room, and one in our Back Bedroom.

I use a Trendnet TEW-638APB downstairs, a Trendnet TEW-690AP up in the Living Room, and a Netgear WN-802T-200 Access Point in our back bedroom.  It was cheaper to buy my own modem & router, then lease the All-in-one Gateway from Comcast, due to all we were getting was Internet, no phone.

#3 RicoTheNinja

RicoTheNinja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:21 PM

Run the test at http://www.speedtest.comcast.net.  You cannot rely on just what the servers are used at speedtest.net, due to they are going to vary due to the following:  Congestion on the server, congestion on the network going to an from the server you are testing.  What type of connection the test server is using, which most times is the same or lesser then what you have.

I really would not worry about it.  I would run GRC's DNSBench, to find the best DNS servers for you to use.  As for expanding your wireless, you should be using Access Points, not another router on your network.

I use the Motorola/Arris SB6141 modem and TP-Link TL-R600VPN wired router.  For Wireless, I have three Access Points in my house for coverage.  One in the basement for fall-over, when we use power, so we still have wifi when the router & modem are running off of the UPS power.  One in our Living Room, and one in our Back Bedroom.

I use a Trendnet TEW-638APB downstairs, a Trendnet TEW-690AP up in the Living Room, and a Netgear WN-802T-200 Access Point in our back bedroom.  It was cheaper to buy my own modem & router, then lease the All-in-one Gateway from Comcast, due to all we were getting was Internet, no phone.

So, it is good on that test and a verizon test but when I try to upload to youtube it comepletly flips bleep and does this Wgwkwky.png, it will sit like that for hours, but I can stream in 720p, 1080p

What am I supposed to do with this DNS info?

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:20 PM

Things are wacky with Youtube for quite some time, so do not get all wrapped up in why things are not working right.  Run DNSBench, find better DNS servers.  Plug the DNS IP's into your router, and then try the speedtest.comcast.net, or speedtest.net with a couple of close test servers.  I get better speed results, which agree with speedtest.comcast.net, if I test out of Metamora, IL, then I do out of the test server in Chicago or Normal, IL.

I never trust speedtests, since there are too many variables happening, when they are ran.

#5 RicoTheNinja

RicoTheNinja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:30 PM

Things are wacky with Youtube for quite some time, so do not get all wrapped up in why things are not working right.  Run DNSBench, find better DNS servers.  Plug the DNS IP's into your router, and then try the speedtest.comcast.net, or speedtest.net with a couple of close test servers.  I get better speed results, which agree with speedtest.comcast.net, if I test out of Metamora, IL, then I do out of the test server in Chicago or Normal, IL.

I never trust speedtests, since there are too many variables happening, when they are ran.

How would I do that, and is there a way to know of the dns im choosing will be good? And if i chnage my dns will mess anything up?

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:35 AM

If you are concerned about your speed I suggest you post in the Comcast Help Forum.

Those Forums are provided to Comcast customers, and are a great resource for vendor specific issues. There are Forums for computer issues, email issues, security, internet, cable tv, CDV, billing, and customer service.
Many times we, the users there, can provide answers tech support and customer service can't.

Click the link below. The forum landing page will open. Click Sign In. Log in with your Comcast user ID (the part before .net) and your password. You will next see a first time forum users page, asking you to choose a screen name for use in the Forums. Once you set that up, you'll be taken back to the landing page. PLEASE DO NOT USE YOUR COMCAST EMAIL NAME FOR YOUR FORUM USER NAME.

http://forums.comcast.com/

Before posting, take a moment to read the Posting Guidelines. The link is on the top right hand side of the page.

Then choose the appropriate board to post in. In your case that would be in either Basic Internet Connectivity And Modem Help OR
Home Networking / Router / & WiFi Gateway Help

There are Connection Experts who might be able to answer your questions. If needed, they will ask for specific information which can they analyze.

One thing to be aware of: By default you will be notified via email every time someone replies to a topic you have started or replied in. If you do not wish to receive the notifications you can disable them by clicking My Settings/Subscriptions & Bookmarks tab. Uncheck the box next to Automatically subscribe me to topics I participate in. Scroll down and click Save.

Do NOT opt out of forum emails using the link in the notification email.
Doing it that way will actually DELETE your forum account. Deletion of the account bans you. (stupid but that is the way Lithium, the forum provider, has it set up).

To get back to the forum you can either bookmark the page OR go to the Comcast homepage, scroll down to Customer Support on the left side of the page and click Browse the Forums.

If you have any questions about the Comcast forum contact me by pm here at BC or Comcast forums. My name there is the same one as the one I use here.

#7 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:15 AM

Things are wacky with Youtube for quite some time, so do not get all wrapped up in why things are not working right. Run DNSBench, find better DNS servers. Plug the DNS IP's into your router, and then try the speedtest.comcast.net, or speedtest.net with a couple of close test servers. I get better speed results, which agree with speedtest.comcast.net, if I test out of Metamora, IL, then I do out of the test server in Chicago or Normal, IL.

How would I do that, and is there a way to know of the dns im choosing will be good? And if i chnage my dns will mess anything up?

Run the program that I stated. It will check the Comcast DNS servers loaded into your router, against the custom list that you load into the software, by clicking on "Nameservers" tab, then "Add/Remove", then click on at the bottom "Build custom list". It will then load a list based on your area. After that, run the test, and it will give you the three best DNS servers.

You take that information and go into your Linksys ea6300 Router to the DHCP page, check the "Custom DNS" or whatever it is called, and input those two best DNS servers that DNSBench gives you.

When I changed mine from the pre-loaded CC DNS servers, to the two from QWEST, that DNSBench stated were the best. My ping times went down, page loading went up to faster loads.

As for the CC forum, I would not even use them, since they are a Peer-to-peer forum. If you really are starting to see high ping times on the CC network in Trace Routes, or PIng tests. Either through your router or through your OS, contact the techs at the Comcast Direct Forum, over at https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/comcastdirect There is also some good info in the FAQ's at http://www.dslreports.com/faq/comcast

Edited by Queen-Evie, 31 January 2014 - 05:55 PM.
no edit. I did an oops with this post and restored it.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

As for the CC forum, I would not even use them, since they are a Peer-to-peer forum. If you really are starting to see high ping times on the CC network in Trace Routes, or PIng tests. Either through your router or through your OS, contact the techs at the Comcast Direct Forum, over at https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/comcastdirect There is also some good info in the FAQ's at http://www.dslreports.com/faq/comcast

YOU may not use them but 1000's of other Comcast customers do. Yes, it is BASICALLY a "Peer-to-peer" forum but it is NOT 100% peer-to-peer. There are AUTHORIZED Comcast employees who also respsond there.

Those of us who are "peers" help 100's of people a day. Some of us have been doing so for many years. WE DO KNOW WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT. WE HAVE PROVIDED SOLUTIONS TO PROBLEMS CUSTOMERS ARE HAVING. It's sad that sometimes we "peers" can tell someone what they need to do to solve an issue after getting no resolution from Customer Service, who SHOULD know but often don't. We may be customers, but we are not stupid. Some of us are even designated as EXPERTS, which means that COMCAST thinks we are very capabale and knowledgable about certain areas. They would not bestow the EXPERT designation if we were stupid and dumb and non-helpful.

The CONNECTION EXPERTS, while not employees, have helped 1000's of people with their issues. They know what to ask for, how to interpret information. Often they can look at logs and tell a customer what he/she needs to tell a tech when they call Comcast.

For your information, a good number of the employees who work in the DSL reports Comcast Direct forum also help in the Comcast forum.

My suggestion is valid. I stand behind it. In the end, it's up to the poster whether or not to ask for help in that forum. And if he/she does, he/she WILL received the best advice possible.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 01 February 2014 - 01:40 PM.

#9 RicoTheNinja

RicoTheNinja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:24 PM

Greg, http://prntscr.com/2oon2x, is that where I put the info and if so which selection?

#10 RicoTheNinja

RicoTheNinja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:14 PM

Would I custom DNS my 6300 linksys router or my Comcast modem?

#11 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:08 PM

You cannot change the DNS settings on a modem or gateway.  Only on your own personal router that you have behind the gateway or modem.  You would change the DNS settings in the DHCP screen.  Suggest you download the pdf manual for your router, from linksys.com, if you cannot locate the CD that came with it, that has the manual on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users