Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help all my document files are corrupted

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Danny Pig

Danny Pig

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

Hello, Last night I was working in Adobe illustrator and I finished one project and opened another one and I get the message that my file was corrupted, so I rebooted and tried again and got the same message.

I also tried opening a PDF file and got a corrupt file message, the same happens when I try too open any of my word or excel files - jpgs are fine and all my programs boot up fine and there are no other other signs that anything is wrong.

I believe I have contracted a virus of some kind that is preventing me access to any of my files as the file properties all look as they should. 

I have run a Norton Scan and  used Norton Power eraser to try and fix this and whilst it did pick up on some threats the problem still remains with the files.

I have also run a full Chkdsk scan - still file problems (although my machine is now much faster)

I have also used Malwarebytes and run a full scan and removed any quarantined items. I also have logs if needed

I still have all my files coming up as corrupted.

Can anyone please help as this is my work machine that I use for my graphic design and I backed all my data up two weeks ago onto an external hard drive so all is not lost but I still have lost two weeks of work and don't want to have to reformat the drive if possible as all signs are pointing me in that direction.

I come on here in the hope that someone out there will be able to help in some way?

Any help is greatly appreciated and also quite urgent as I have now lost two days work trying to fix this myself

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:38 PM

File corruption is common, not related at all necessarily to malware...could be indicative of hard drive problems.

Try running the chkdsk /r command on your Windows partition, please.

Louis

#3 Danny Pig

Danny Pig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:42 PM

thank you hamluis, yes after much searching I see this is a common issue (and probably one I could have easily prevented)

how do I run the chkdsk /r command?

I assume I probably just type chkdsk /r command into "start? sorry I am not the most advanced when it comes to operating system knowledge

#4 Danny Pig

Danny Pig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:48 PM

sorry I have googled it and will try now thank you

#5 Danny Pig

Danny Pig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:06 PM

I have run chkdsk / r and it found no errors and I am still having the same issue with my files?

Is there anything I can do?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:07 PM

If any onscreen error messages interrupt the running...or an onscreen error message indicates that chkdsk /r cannot continue...please post exact wording in next post.

Louis

#7 Danny Pig

Danny Pig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:12 PM

there were no error messages at all during chkdsk 

It took around two hours to complete and reported no errors on completion and then auto rebooted.

I still have the same corruption messages when I try to open any of my files??

What to do next?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:20 PM

Right click on one of the files that is corrupted and select Restore Previous Versions. You may have files shown. I would use the copy function.

http://www.howtogeek.com/56891/use-windows-7s-previous-versions-to-go-back-in-time-and-save-your-files/

#9 Danny Pig

Danny Pig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:23 PM

Thanks John but I have already tried this and on all the files I have tried this with it says "there are no previous versions available" ?

I also have no system restore points any more 

#10 Danny Pig

Danny Pig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:43 PM

Is there anything else I can do to fix this as it seems the files are fine but the problem is with accessing the files??

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,702 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:48 PM

I am not sure if it will help but try creating a new user account and then accessing the files from the new user account. Maybe it is a corrupted profile?

#12 Danny Pig

Danny Pig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:50 PM

I am willing to try anything to get this fixed John so I shall try that now 

#13 Danny Pig

Danny Pig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:58 PM

Ok John, this is probably a silly question but I have just created a new user account but how do I access my files from the old account in this new account as there are no documents in this new account??

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,702 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:02 PM

You should have made the new account an admin account. You can go to Computer > Users > My Documents Or Computer > Users > Desktop if you placed them there.

Edit: Renamed brackets

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 January 2014 - 09:03 PM.

#15 Danny Pig

Danny Pig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:02 PM

Ah Ok I shall try again with the admin account thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users